The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Different levels traveling together..  (Read 566 times)

Lynn1020

Different levels traveling together..
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:05:49 pm »
Not wanting to start a debate here.  But what is the rules now about traveling with different levels?  I have been told many different things.  

I've heard that it should be no more than 5, 7 level and 10 level difference.

I have been told that GM's will drop things on you to kill the party of there is to big a level gap.  

But then again I was traveling with a much higher level pc and there were many creatures put out for us and we handle them very well. Then afterwards we also received xp for role playing.  Which was very nice! :D

I'm not talking about taking a lower level to get diamonds or something like that.  I mean normal adventuring around Mistone and lower parts of Dregar.  It seems many of the rules have changed in the last year about leveling and traveling together so I was just wanting to find out for sure what the rules are now. :p

The following users thanked this post: mumbles, LordCove, stolen, ystrday, Lance Stargazer

Tanman

Re: Different levels traveling together..
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:27:24 pm »
As far as i understand it, as long as it is not a XP run and there is a decent amount of RP, then I don't see what the problem is. When I do my rounds as a GM on West and Central, I look for RP. So thats probably where you are getting the RP XP from. Not because of the way you handled the creatures. ;-).

I mean if you are getting to one place or another. . .with a higher level to RP and you fight a few creatures thats ok. But then you just run the Sinister forests 4-5 times without saying something is something I frown upon..well you get the picture. Thats my understanding of it.

And I want to make it clear, as a DM I personally never would use to spawns to police a situation at all. I have written it here.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:35:25 pm »
Different level characters are usually encouraged to mix, as long as server level requirements are kept in mind. You can't just hang around in your own level brackets all the time - how would anything ever spread that way? You could see with the old, now-outdated PC story quests that there were clear intentions to mingle veteran players with lower levels. The Stormcrest guides exist for much the same purpose.

GMs should never be spawning things on people solely to kill the party, punishment or no. If there is an OOC problem they can be informed of it OOC and discuss it. Very rarely does this occur and I imagine it is addressed within the team itself when it does, since all it does is create bitterness and misunderstanding, not to mention punishing IC for an OOC problem.

Drafting, leeching, etc are against the rules. Some higher level characters can party with lower ones and show them around or make a time of it here and there, but shouldn't be dragging them through every high-XP spot on Mistone every other day just to level them. Everyone should serve a purpose in those kinds of parties and of course everyone should be roleplaying, which generally goes without saying!

If the level difference is close enough for them to just be in the same 'hangout' group that travels around and still have a purpose for everyone, then it probably isn't significant enough to worry too much about, especially since we're mostly talking Mistone.

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:35:49 pm »
Quote from: Lynn1020
Not wanting to start a debate here.  But what is the rules now about traveling with different levels?  I have been told many different things.  

Ah rumors.... ;)

I've heard that it should be no more than 5, 7 level and 10 level difference.

The key factor is RP.  There absolutely has to be a legitimate reason for a large level spread that doesn't involve the high level(s) clearing spawns for the  low level(s). Be smart about it.

That said, if we see a high level leading a group of lower-level characters, we're going to take notice and see what's up.  That's not to say that anyone has done anything wrong, but that will get our attention.  Likewise, if we see a lone (or a small number of) low level among a larger group of high-levels, that too will get our attention.  If we intercede or interrupt such a situation, it is only because we have concerns about the grouping and the purpose of same.  It is not because we're targeting anyone.

I have been told that GM's will drop things on you to kill the party of there is to big a level gap.  

If this is happening, I personally want to know about it, and I want names.  It is not the policy of the GM Team to cause party death because of level spreads.  Period.  End of statement.

It's far more effective to stop the group and give a verbal and OOC kind of statement rather than just rain death down on the party and make everyone hate us.  Really...that just wouldn't make sense.

But once again, I want to caution everyone about something.  I GM may add some creatures to change things around a bit.  There may be a purpose to it other than a party-kill, but sometimes characters just plow on through and don't realize that that creature that may glow red just might have something to say.

Like I said above, RP is key.

But it touches on an important point and that is one of perception.

As players, we may perceive that additional creatures are there to up the difficulty or provide extra challenge, and one that may produce RP opportunities.  If we as players then get squished by said creatures, then we may perceive that the GM wanted to kill us, even if it is our own poor decisions when dealing with the increased threat that cause the party death.

Likewise, GMs may see a very unbalanced level spread, peek in and see no RP and perceive that the low levels are kiting or sponging XP/loot/etc. We might set up a situation as an opportunity and a test, but at the same time we will let the consequences of dealing with that opportunity flow freely.

It's a two-way street, and while I am sure there are misunderstandings, it is actually counter-productive for the GM Team to have a policy of wiping out parties for no reason other than party spread.

One policy I personally have always tried to maintain is to "debrief" a party after any impromtu interactions, especially those involving combat and deaths.  This little gesture goes so far in keeping GMs and players on the same page, and it is something that I have tried to reinforce among all the GMs who came after me.

But then again I was traveling with a much higher level pc and there were many creatures put out for us and we handle them very well. Then afterwards we also received xp for role playing.  Which was very nice! :D

Like any good dwarf would tell you:  AS IT SHOULD BEEEE!!!!! ;)

I'm not talking about taking a lower level to get diamonds or something like that.  I mean normal adventuring around Mistone and lower parts of Dregar.  It seems many of the rules have changed in the last year about leveling and traveling together so I was just wanting to find out for sure what the rules are now. :p

Common sense is the best guide.  There is no catch-all rule we can state.  As I said above, we'll look in on any group with a large spread of levels.  Every situation is different, and so we'll take each situation as its own unique set of circumstances.

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:46:27 pm »
Well said on the replies.

"....I have been told that GM's will drop things on you to kill the party of there is to big a level gap.

If this is happening, I personally want to know about it, and I want names. It is not the policy of the GM Team to cause party death because of level spreads. Period. End of statement....."

This statement I could not have said better. It is unacceptable in any form, period.

Lynn1020

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:06:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Thats pretty much what I thought it was.  As long as there is rp and not just flying through areas for xp and loot.  

As far as GM dropping things... I have never had that done to me. I guess I really shouldn't have brought that up. I have had GM add things to an area we are traveling through which I LOVE!!  It adds so much when things are changed up to keep you on your toes.  ;)   I think we all enjoy a little challenge.

LordCove

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:08:21 pm »
I'm glad this came up. I was a little wary of running a high lvl PC with lower ones due to this.

A few days ago.... me and another high lvl player had a low level player doing a small run in the Forest of Fogs cave. Was all RP driven of course.... but a GM did mention that we were much higher level than the lower one... over double.
Now "Death" was certainly not rained down on us.
A polite mention about the level difference came up... followed by a short impromptu quest to keep the RP going which was greatly welcomed.
I've certainly never seen a GM do anything harmful to a group because they happened to have a low level in tow.

Also... if your some lvl 20+ character... taking a group of low levels out... you have to remember that the high level character is going to get high level spawns... which the lower levels may not be able to deal with.
Deaths may ensue... and on many occassions for me... it certainly has.

But Im glad to see this has been clarified. :)

Lynn1020

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:16:48 am »
Thought this could use a little bump. Everyone is confused over the allowed level differences.  It seems to vary from GM to GM to what is allowed.

We had a great group going in Redlights and someone was asked to leave the party by a GM because of his level. We had good rp going even with conflicts of deities among the group.  Once someone was asked to leave it just puts a damper on things.

Alatriel

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:35:55 am »
I'm not sure on this either, but I do know that when levels are split too much the low levelers tend to get less xp, sometimes only 1xp for things that they should be getting a lot more for.  I don't know how this works though or what the cutoff is.

Tanman

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:57:25 am »
Quote from: Alatriel
I'm not sure on this either, but I do know that when levels are split too much the low levelers tend to get less xp, sometimes only 1xp for things that they should be getting a lot more for.
Thats pretty much how it works. The more level difference there is, the less xp the 'lower' level; party member gets.

Lynn1020

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 10:59:05 am »
I'm willing to give up the xp to allow others the chance to get out with a party to see new areas and enjoy some great rp.

Tanman

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 11:04:53 am »
The problem that I would see is the high level items that could be given to a low level of the area....apart from that its all good.

Lynn1020

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 11:11:19 am »
Quote from: Tanman
The problem that I would see is the high level items that could be given to a low level of the area....apart from that its all good.

Yes I can understand that.. which is why we normally don't give something to someone unless they can use it themselves or can in their next level.

CNR goes to those that can craft with it or going to have something made for them to use.

Pawn whats left and split the coin.

ycleption

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:23 am »
Quote from: Lynn1020
I'm willing to give up the xp to allow others the chance to get out with a party to see new areas and enjoy some great rp.

Ditto. RP should always come first.

I think I've said this elsewhere, but I think sometimes people forget that they don't have to wear their emerald jewelry and wield their mithril weapons... they don't have to cast wierd or thunderclap in combat, they don't have to use knockdown or power attack. Any character can nerf themselves to be an appropriately powered member of a lower level party... if you find yourself travelling with lower levels often, keep some darts or shuriken in your bag... If you're a wizard, you can just practice your melee skills, a cleric or druid can keep themselves as healing patrol... whatever it might be for your character, I just have a hard time seeing how players can't find ways to travel in groups without being over-powered. (Drexia keeps nunchacks, two sai, a fan, and a rapier in her bag for this reason).

On the other end, if you're a low level with a bunch of higher levels, well, don't be a leech. You as player know far better when that's happening than trying to stick to an "x number of level spread" formula. You as player know whether you're doing it because of legitimate RP, or because you want to get xp fast. Don't do the latter.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 12:01:56 pm »
No RP and ... the low levels are kiting or sponging XP/loot/etc

The above along with not meeting level requirements for a given area are the only reasons why a GM should ask a character who doesn't fit the general level spread of the party to leave, whether that character be ten levels higher or lower.

There is nothing wrong with mixed level characters adventuring together, whether that mix be a 40th level character and three 2nd level characters, or ten 20th level characters and one 10th level character.

Sponging XP/loot at the expense of a high level character's power is what's wrong (according to the rules of this player world), and if you think that adding your 24th lvl character to a group of 8-10th lvl characters will cause that to happen, here are a few choices you can make:

1) Ignore the rules, help them leach as much XP as possible and summarily ignore the rules as well, and impress the digital women with your 1337 gaming power. Then suck up the GM warnings and/or worse consequences.

2) Change to your lower level character and join the group.

3) Wish the group good luck, maybe offer them a goodwill stoneskin or two, and send them on their way while you join a party with other characters of your level.

4) Join them, but instead of showing off your sweet bum-kicking super-slaying spell of deathykins along with your massive sneak attack critical damage, you break out the sling and healing potions and pretend to be a low level with an abnormal amount of HP. For an added challenge, don't cast any buff spells on yourself. You'll find you feel very much like the mid-level character of days gone by, both in terms of damage output and survivability.

My personal favorite is the latter, where I can revisit the old haunts (like Haven) with it still being challenging and allowing me to connect with more characters, more players, and generally just have a good time, even if I don't get more than 40xp for the whole event.

Hellblazer

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 12:32:27 pm »
Well I have to feel a bit like lynn when she started this thread a year ago. I've been told and seen so many different things in the past, even if there was rp, rp reasons and a good group of mixed people. A true guide line for the gm may be needed here, cause there is to many different views and personal opinions. Which is why now I stick stricly to the 6 level difference that L mentioned in a previous post. But then again, sticking to that me and others have been stopped and warned, even if we were withing the rules. so eh!

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 01:22:39 pm »
The reason for the requested maximum in level disparity is so that you don't find yourself in the unintentional position of helping another character sponge XP (whether that other character is also aware of the situation or not). And really, because you could ostensibly be five levels apart and still able to leech off each other in terms of XP and loot, you always need to be considerate of whether you're allowing someone (or being allowed) to leech XP/loot/whatever in an unfair manner or in some way that violates the standards we have here.

s0ulz

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 01:25:45 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
The reason for the requested maximum in level disparity is so that you don't find yourself in the unintentional position of helping another character sponge XP (whether that other character is also aware of the situation or not). And really, because you could ostensibly be five levels apart and still able to leech off each other in terms of XP and loot, you always need to be considerate of whether you're allowing someone (or being allowed) to leech XP/loot/whatever in an unfair manner or in some way that violates the standards we have here.

This is true. Storold is much higher level than Fenrir and I always feel like Storold leeches xp off Fenrir. O.o