The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Does what happens in the Facebook stay in the Facebook?  (Read 51 times)

OneST8

Does what happens in the Facebook stay in the Facebook?
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:41:06 pm »
Does what happens in the Facebook stay in the Facebook?

So glad I don't have an account with them.

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Does what happens in the Facebook stay in the Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 02:43:54 pm »
.... it used to be cool.... now it's just "myspace 2.0"

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:24:30 pm »
That's fairly terrifying.

Totally not putting any more information on there. *Shudder.*

Dorganath

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:19:55 pm »
Having been a victim of identity theft in the past, and having talked to many people in law enforcement, I firmly believe that people who willingly divulge so much personal and identifiable information on the Internet to some supposedly benevolent third party is setting themselves up for nothing but trouble as a result.

I'm not going to put any weight behind conspiracy theories...all that aside, sites like Facebook and MySpace are simply bad news.  Neat ideas, I freely admit, but they've been taken too far by the companies themselves and the people who use these services.  While they are a very fascinating experiment in social networking, they're also welcoming dens for all sorts of predators, not limited to pedophiles and other sexual predators, scam artists and the like.

[/soapbox]

lonnarin

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:32:59 pm »
I wouldn't mind all the domestic spying, if they would just please put a 24/7 webcam in the oval office and in every single senator, congressman, governors office as well as those of the chiefs of police in every single county coast to coast.  I pay the taxes, I foot the bill, so how come I don't get to spy on them instead of the other way around?  If they have something to hide, they must all be terrorists.

As for people who willingly put their personal information online, I have never understood that trend.  I know for certain that if I was a father, my teenage daughter would be grounded with no phone, TV, computer or car if I ever caught her uploading her picture and where she lives and goes to school online for strangers to see.

Pseudonym

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 07:42:23 pm »
Lonn - I am planning on building a basement/dungeon to keep my daughters confined until they are 45 years old .. or I am dead, whichever comes first.

If you ever up and move to Australia, I'll glady add a spot in there for any of your girls.

Back on topic, frightening stuff. A good warning for too-gregarious foks like me. Thanks OneST8.

EdTheKet

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:52:31 pm »
scary!

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:41:21 pm »
You know what really irks me... is that soccer moms around where I live have started to buy bumper stickers from their school's sports boosters club where they say on them their child's name, jersey number, the school they go to and sometimes even the age.  I'm all about school spirit, but this is just endangering children.  Now if some pervert predator in your neighborhood spots your kid in the yard, he just has to look at the bumper sticker to find out when and where would be a good time to pick them up and kidnap them.  There could even be sickos out there who would see that sticker and follow the car home to find new prey, stake the place out, start going to the games pretending to be a parent.  If I ever have children, they're all learning martial arts and learning to kill a man by the time they're 5, and will be carrying bear mace at all times.  I can't wait till some bully tries to pick on them!

*gets the phone call from the principal*

"Mr. Lonnarin, it seems that your son has just hollowed out the skull of one of our children who tried to take his lunch money and is now wearing it as a trophy.  This is clearly in violation of our school handbook"

anything