The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Ears  (Read 277 times)

Magnulas

• View Profile
    Ears
    « on: June 27, 2005, 01:47:00 pm »
    Could I get a Ear of Giant for my half giant Fragsnot Windhunter? I wrote in my submission that he spoke giant and it have been approved. but a DM told me that they had to say that I was "approved for ear of giant". No one had wrote that in my submission so he could not give me an ear. Could someone approv me for an ear please? My character submission is called Half-Giant and is in "recent approvals" now I think.

vgn

RE: Ears
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
    There is no ear for giant.

Magnulas

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 01:59:00 pm »
      It isnt? *runs his head into a wall*

Filatus

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 05:24:00 pm »
      Hope that this isn't the second one to get stuck in a wall. ;)

aragwen

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 01:30:00 am »
      Lol.....you guys are killing me.... Stop it.... I just stop laughing after the the nose in the book one and now another....  Lol....

freemen2

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 05:17:00 am »
      Repeat after me and learn this by heart:

ME SMASH GOOD!

congradulations, yer speaking giant :p

Magnulas

• View Profile
        « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 06:17:00 am »
        WOHOO! But I was more thinking to use it in my prayers. He can hardly speak common so I thought I could pray in giantic, and ME SMASH GOOD wont work so good for that.  :)

freemen2

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 08:08:00 am »
        heh heh ;)

Xerina

• View Profile
          « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 09:46:00 pm »
          So make up a language since no one would likely be able to understand you anyway for your prayers.  I use a few diffrent variations of elvish, espicaly outside the game. I try to use the ear for the vast majority of elvish in game but if Im refering to something specific to wild elves or my region or tribe I might throw some elvish from http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/languages.htm a great site and from the mainn page many options other then elvish most is based on the forgotten realms. I also might throw in some Tolken elvish also alailable from one of the links on above page.
          http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/ has many languages from Tolken so you could base the language off the dark langage or orcish, just some options to help you RP the giant language. If another half giant is around then translate it via tell.

Magnulas

• View Profile
            « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 12:43:00 am »
            Sounds intresting. Thanks, I will try that

Xerina

• View Profile
              « Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 12:17:00 am »
              I also thought of another option if you wanted a simple option. I feel stupid for not thinking of it earlier. You could just shift one key to the right or left on the keyboard so "for example" would become "git rcsnokr" just shift one key toward the center right or left, then its easy to translate for all the half giants out their as long as you told them your shift pattern. Its easier for everyone else, but does not add the mystery of a real lang. Just another though

michaelbohun

• View Profile
                RE: Ears & Giant Language
                « Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 05:04:00 am »
                Just curious... but how many words do you need to translate "uggggh!"....?
                 ;)

thekevmon

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 05:17:00 pm »
                Giants should be able to speak orcish. They can understand it fine, they just cant speak it. It would make people think that not all giants are idiots, they just speak in a different language. And they would be able to sound sophisticated, even if no one could understand it. Giants is peoples too!