The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Earth Hour!  (Read 378 times)

OneST8

Earth Hour!
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:00:14 pm »
Google has darkened their main page in an effort to spread awareness about Earth Hour.

As of like a minute from now, I'm shutting down for the hour!

Cheers folks!
See you all in an hour!

PS: Yes I realize I should have mentioned this earlier for folks :) heh

Blackguy

Re: Earth Hour!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:06:12 pm »
Kept my light all lit up. I found out that if we shut down the lights for this hour, someone else in Europe can use our quota for turning on more lights. So.. I didnt see the reason for it. But it was a fun webpage on google.

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:13:28 pm »
Um... just because they CAN, doesn't mean they WILL.  The idea is to reduce consumption, even for an hour, and do it en masse.

If you were told, "Hey, someone else is using less power - why don't you use more?" would you?

Sorry, but it seems a silly reason not to lend your support to this movement.  My lights (and computer) are going out at 8PM PST.

Blackguy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:47:17 pm »
Its not about they can. If the quota is not used then its sold off to someone who will use it. Its the electrical compagnies that sell their remaining power off to someone else. Its not someone else using more power. But in the end its all balanced out, so no reason to do it. But that doesnt mean im saying that people shouldnt be doing it. Go for it by all means.

Chongo

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 01:15:24 am »
Quote from: Blackguy
Its not about they can. If the quota is not used then its sold off to someone who will use it. Its the electrical compagnies that sell their remaining power off to someone else. Its not someone else using more power. But in the end its all balanced out, so no reason to do it. But that doesnt mean im saying that people shouldnt be doing it. Go for it by all means.

That said, the unfortunate fallacy of carbon offsets and the like aside, the gradual change needs to start with a movement and a whole lot of gravity over a long and commited period of time. More power to you folks. Keep at it and things can change, even if it's not at the feel good experience of an hour of unified effort.

Krell Himmler

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 04:33:52 am »
I think global warming is just normal cyclical variations and the hype is scaremongering. Data isn't over a long enough period of time. So, as a result I'm fighting the power and turning on double the lights until the scaremongering stops and I'm confronted with evidence of what is making it get hotter, not simply "it's getting hotter" without any reasonable backing that we're the cause of this.

YoDDa

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:46:24 am »
I came to remember another thread by OneST8...

http://forums.layonara.com/just-fun/138482-most-terrifying-video-youll-ever-see.html

take a minute and have a look it´s worth it

Krell Himmler

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 05:15:09 am »
I did make another post with arguments for and against, but I really do have to summarize it with not caring, sure I'd like to care, but no I do not.