The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Emerald Rumours.  (Read 855 times)

Hellblazer

Emerald Rumours.
« on: February 01, 2010, 05:01:30 pm »
Okay, I know this may not be the best place for this, but this is a situation that I am getting tired of.

Firstly, I will write here right now, that I will not put a name in this thread. If any one wants to know. Come to me directly.

I have heard yesterday that someone is spreading lies about my dealings of emeralds in tells, to how many people I do not know.

But here is the deal. My emeralds has been sold as I posted in the market hall at 50 K a piece. Except on one occasion to someone who will be buying more than one. That time it was 40 k a piece.

I have not, and will not sell emeralds at 20 K a piece (that price is ridiculously too low for the amount of effort needed to get that rock), and that person who is lying about me, yes you know who you are, is probably spreading those lies because I refused to sell him some at that price, and I refused to exchange three emeralds for 1 deep red ioun stone.

Now truly I don't expect any apologies, nor do I want any. I just want the community to know of the lies that is being spread right now about this.

Manny.

PS. No it's not the someone that is having an Rp banter with Fehriel on the forum.

The following users thanked this post: lonnarin, jrizz, geloooo

Chazzler

Re: Emerald Rumours.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:14:31 pm »
Seems I have been put into a part of this rumor mill as well, that particular someone or someones is/are spreading rumors that I have also sold a lot of emeralds at 20k.

I wonder who all I have sold the emeralds to, when I have not? Please post here if I have sold you an emerald for 20k :P

This is getting ridiculous.

I do have sold 4 emeralds, 2 as Chakar, 2 as Görm, both at prices of 50 or 40k.

This I have not done due to greed. I have done this to get coin for things like potions, bandages and such. Also I have bought 2 items from an ingame shop on Dregar, which cost 50k and the other almost 80k.

I could always have grind the fire opal cave nonstop, but I do not think that is fair to anyone :P

XDutchesX

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 06:17:56 pm »
*laughs*:) :D

jrizz

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:08:15 pm »
I think this brings up a very good topic:

Pricing on the best CNR that is available.

In the past we had a price guide, that was replaced by trade guild pricing. As always there was/is a x% up or down around that de facto standard pricing. But for the most part folks stuck to it. In the past year or so pricing on drop items and crafted items has fluctuated greatly. In the past undercutting was not acceptable due to the shaky financial system of Layonara, this was done to try and keep some value on items and keep some kind of heath in the system.

Now we are faced with what looks like the beginnings of a serious break down. If the CNR that is used to craft the most powerful crafted items in the game gets devalued due to over mining and undercutting then everything below it suffers.

The solution here is to agree on a set price for emeralds in three forms raw, cut, or polished and for Mithril in two forms nuggets and ingots. And that we all stick to this pricing for ALL deals. This will help keep the pricing of crafted items that use that CNR up as well as not drop the pricing of all items and CNR below it.

So I propose (as a starting point):

Emeralds:
raw = 100K
cut = 75K
polished = 80K

Mithril
nuggets = 10k
ingots = 50k

NOTE: We also really need a price guide for drop items

Hellblazer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »
I agree for the emerald. I find the mithril a bit high.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 07:38:43 pm »
Wouldn't raw emeralds be worth less than polished ones?

RollinsCat

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »
Price fixing:

An agreement between participants on the same side in a market to buy or sell the same product, service, or commodity only at a fixed price or maintain the market conditions such that the price is maintained at a given level by controlling supply and demand. The group of market makers involved in price fixing is sometimes referred to as a cartel.

Price fixing requires a conspiracy between two or more sellers or buyers; the purpose is to coordinate pricing for mutual benefit of the traders.

osxmallard

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »
Apparently you wouldn't get the dust with a polished one then, milty...

Guardian 452

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »
Please tell me you arent calling this price fixing?
When its more about not allowing the games economy to go to cr@p.

Its at least what a 4 hour trip with the average group to get emeralds?

All i know is I would rather the players kept controll of pricing... than the Content Team making them a 6 hour, 8 hour, or lord knows what to get them to force the economy back into shape.

G-452

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 08:00:35 pm »
Apparently you wouldn't get the dust with a polished one then, milty...

**looks further confused**

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 08:02:41 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
Wouldn't raw emeralds be worth less than polished ones?

Since you can turn Raw ones into dust, and also get a dust from cutting the raw into a cut (in the process of making it polished) you therefore have more options as to what you can make with a raw emerald (IE acid damage with raw, resistances with dust, rings and such with polished) and therefore is worth more.

Hellblazer

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 08:03:19 pm »
You get the dust when you cut them. You don't get dust from the polishing part. But if you fail the polishing you can then crush the flawed gem that should give you roughly from 1 to 2 dust depending if you succeed at polishing them or not.

Quote from: Guardian 452
Please tell me you arent calling this price fixing?
When its more about not allowing the games economy to go to cr@p.

Its at least what a 4 hour trip with the average group to get emeralds?

All i know is I would rather the players kept control of pricing... than the Content Team making them a 6 hour, 8 hour, or lord knows what to get them to force the economy back into shape.

G-452

Depending if you get Titanium first. It can take up to 8 hours for that trip.

Quote from: RollinsCat
Price fixing:

An agreement between participants on the same side in a market to buy or sell the same product, service, or commodity only at a fixed price or maintain the market conditions such that the price is maintained at a given level by controlling supply and demand. The group of market makers involved in price fixing is sometimes referred to as a cartel.

Price fixing requires a conspiracy between two or more sellers or buyers; the purpose is to coordinate pricing for mutual benefit of the traders.

What Jrizz is asking here and which I totally agree with him, is that the cnr that gives the +3 and other post epic gear, should not be sold at pre epic and +2 pricing. It takes a lot more effort to get these. and seeing the emerald go for 20 k is really nuts.

RollinsCat

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:13:50 pm »
@ Guardian 452:

It is price fixing (if it happens).  By definition.

note I did not express an opinion on whether it is good or bad.  From a historical perspective it is an extremely accurate and roleplayable position, happened all the time in the middle ages.  Still happens now but it's harder to catch.

but if a good is easier to get because of an abundance of high level characters on the server combined with an increase in the number of people who can work that good, thus depressing the rarity and therefore the pricing; then to set a price artificially to keep it high is to fix it. Price fixing.

I would hope the gm team would not respond by making it harder and harder to get, which would only punish new players and reward older ones.

Hellblazer

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 08:18:20 pm »
I would hope the gm team would not respond by making it harder and harder to get, which would only punish new players and reward older ones.

I hope so too, unless you take the easy way down, which beats the purpose of the place. You need a well balanced group. So I think the place is spot on on how it should be.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:36:07 pm »
The fact that you can make better things with a polished emerald vs a raw emerald, and the fact that it takes a certain amount of skill to polish a raw emerald would seem to me to make it worth more, though I agree that the more uses an item has, the more valuable it will be.

Dorganath

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »

The path to emeralds and the area itself that contains them were built to a specific design target, and that is where we are at. There is an intended range of levels and minimum group size that should be able to attain emeralds.  While this is not a guarantee, it is, in fact what is in place.  Above that, it should be easier.  Below it, it should be harder or even impossible.  If there is exploitation (and there was), we will change that (and we have), but so long as the design intent is being met, which I believe it is, then it will stay as such.  The GM Team is not that arbitrary.

------------------------------------------

For some perspective...

The 100K price for a raw emerald was an artificially-inflated price that had its origins back when emeralds could be found in Mystery Minerals from Greenstone deposits and actual mined emeralds were rarer than rare.  Someone put one up for auction, it fetched a 100K price and the trend started.

Now that there are more 20+ level characters on the server and emeralds are more attainable, there is really no real economic reason for them to still fetch a minimum 100K price.

HooD!uM

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 09:27:50 pm »
Quote from: ??utches?
*laughs*:) :D

i dont understand this point???

Guardian 452

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 10:18:19 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath

For some perspective...

The 100K price for a raw emerald was an artificially-inflated price that had its origins back when emeralds could be found in Mystery Minerals from Greenstone deposits and actual mined emeralds were rarer than rare.  Someone put one up for auction, it fetched a 100K price and the trend started.

Now that there are more 20+ level characters on the server and emeralds are more attainable, there is really no real economic reason for them to still fetch a minimum 100K price.

I agree 100k Plus for an emerald is a bit much however. And geting an Emerals from mining Greenstone... yeah that wasnt good (which is why it was fixed!)I also believe 20k is to little when time and effort to obtain are factored.

As it stands now I would bet there are people out there who simply will never attempt to go get emeralds because they can not devote 3 to 6 hours to sitting at their PC. However, even a level 1 character can make thousands daily gathering CNR that requires NO fighting at all. So it isn't about people not being able to afford 40k to 60k for an Emerald. It is about what each player here values his or her time. It's about being part of a world and wanting to make its economy work.......... *sighs*

Bah.....you know what..... I really should just shut up..... at least my Alts will get cheap gear at this rate, right?

G-452

Acacea

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 10:20:41 pm »
The lack of CNR that scales upwards with the characters seems as much a contributing factor as "undercutting." If there was something above emerald, players would burn more time trying to get those at greater difficulty instead, and it would be more likely that those getting emeralds would either be the ones using them right then, or selling them to those people. There are more higher level players, which means more emeralds, which means lower prices.

So... in that light, the fact that it IS the best that can be crafted is as much a problem as the price people are selling them for. They were the best when the server effectively capped at 20.

Hellblazer

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:01 pm »
I agree 100k Plus for an emerald is a bit much however. And geting an Emerals from mining Greenstone... yeah that wasnt good (which is why it was fixed!)I also believe 20k is to little when time and effort to obtain are factored.

As it stands now I would bet there are people out there who simply will never attempt to go get emeralds because they can not devote 3 to 6 hours to sitting at their PC. However, even a level 1 character can make thousands daily gathering CNR that requires NO fighting at all. So it isn't about people not being able to afford 40k to 60k for an Emerald. It is about what each player here values his or her time. It's about being part of a world and wanting to make its economy work.......... *sighs*

I agree with you there completely

Bah.....you know what..... I really should just shut up..... at least my Alts will get cheap gear at this rate, right?

G-452

Constructive opinions are always good.

anything