The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: enchantments and levels  (Read 266 times)

jrizz

enchantments and levels
« on: September 05, 2005, 05:55:00 pm »
Is there a list of what items and enchantments can be used per level? It is a little confusing, I have run into what I think are other players of the same class but lower level and they are using enchantments on weapons that I thought had level requirements. What am I missing? Also is there a list of XP needed for each level per class?

Thanks,
John

Acacea

RE: enchantments and levels
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:02:00 pm »
jrizz - 9/5/2005  5:55 PM
Also is there a list of XP needed for each level per class?

Per class? Help me out there.

But, there is this thread with XP charts?

Edit- Oh! Right! Oh, man. I'm lost, today. I need a nap. *wanders off, feeling ridiculous*

twidget658

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 06:02:00 pm »

jrizz

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
O had assumed that the XP needed per level would differ by Class (fighter, Ranger, Mage....). But now I see that is not the way. Are there modiifiers for XP collected?

regnus

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
If I remember correctly, the XP drops are dependant upon your current level.  That is why in the beginning you get something like 10XP per rat in the sewers and as you level it goes down to 1XP.  I think there is also a cap on how much higher a monster is and the XP drop.  So a low level cant tag along in a high level group and reap the XP for watching them fight.

This is also how the ECL works.  It makes the XP drop think you are higher level than you actually are.  

Someone chime in here and correct me if I am wrong please.

EdTheKet

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:58:00 am »
regnus - 9/6/2005 7:39 PM If I remember correctly, the XP drops are dependant upon your current level. That is why in the beginning you get something like 10XP per rat in the sewers and as you level it goes down to 1XP. I think there is also a cap on how much higher a monster is and the XP drop. So a low level cant tag along in a high level group and reap the XP for watching them fight. This is also how the ECL works. It makes the XP drop think you are higher level than you actually are. Someone chime in here and correct me if I am wrong please.

You're right, but thought I'd chime in anyway :)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 12:09:00 pm »
so, what you may be experiencing, is an ECL char who is the same level as you, but able to use better equipment than you because the ECL level adjuster 'deceives' the level requirement for the weapon.  that is, unless I am totally mistaken on how that works.

regnus

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 12:20:00 pm »
I think the ECL is only taken into account when the XP script runs after a kill.  

*Leaves spot open for Ed to chime in again * :)

jrizz

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »
I have to ask what is ECL or an ECL character?

regnus

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 12:39:00 pm »
ECL is Effective Character Level.  Or at least I think that is what it stands for.  

Regardless, what is does is make the XP drops for monster kills look at your character as a higher level character.  This means you get less XP for kills.  The reasoning behind it is for balance.  I have a Drow character.  Drows are ECL2.  So a Drow character looks to the XP drop script as 2 levels higher than he/she really is.  This is to offset the crazy bonuses that a Drow gets.

Acacea

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 12:53:00 pm »
regnus - 9/6/2005  10:39 AM

If I remember correctly, the XP drops are dependant upon your current level.  That is why in the beginning you get something like 10XP per rat in the sewers and as you level it goes down to 1XP.  I think there is also a cap on how much higher a monster is and the XP drop.  So a low level cant tag along in a high level group and reap the XP for watching them fight.

This is also how the ECL works.  It makes the XP drop think you are higher level than you actually are.  

Someone chime in here and correct me if I am wrong please.

(Just quoting so they're in the same place ;)) The ECL is the effective character level. Subraced characters such as the deep gnomes are perceived as a higher level than they are, because of skill or ability bonuses, so they would receive less XP from a same-level encounter than a "normal" (ECL+0) character.

If you're playing a level 3 drow with an ECL+2, you would spawn creatures and gain experience as if you were two levels higher than you actually are.

I just woke up. Stomp on me later if I said something retarded.

Edit- Oh, fine. Everyone keeps doing this to me. I need to type faster and not stop for munchies in the middle. :)

regnus

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 01:22:00 pm »
*pokes Acacea with his rapier*

touche'

EdTheKet

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
regnus - 9/7/2005 9:20 PM I think the ECL is only taken into account when the XP script runs after a kill. *Leaves spot open for Ed to chime in again * :)

Correct.

EdTheKet

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
jrizz - 9/6/2005 2:55 AM I have run into what I think are other players of the same class but lower level and they are using enchantments on weapons that I thought had level requirements.

Well, as long as you say 'think' we cannot be sure what you miss, but as far as we know it's been working fine. Keep in mind that there are also visual effects rods, which make weapons look like they do (for example) fire damage, but it's just show. These don't have the lvl req a genuinely enchanted fire rod would give.

IDii

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 01:28:00 pm »
Actually ECL doesn't exactly look at your level and add the ECL to it and then do the math when you get XP. It's more about a set % of XP you get less and it varies with level. At low levels the ECL hurts you more and the % is somewhat higher than at higher level when the abilities you gain from having an ECL subrace don't really help as much as they did on lower levels.

Also doesn't take ECL into account when looking at what you spawn.

Acacea

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 02:13:00 pm »
I wasn't sure about that part, I had to look for it and found two threads that said it did, so I thought I'd throw it in there :)

Stomp away, now that I've woken up enough to stomp back!

jrizz

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
OK so ECL is for the purpose of calculating XP based on some modifier.
Are there also positive modifiers?

Cheers

anything