The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Getting nowhere =/  (Read 288 times)

Kurth

• View Profile
    Getting nowhere =/
    « on: August 10, 2006, 04:44:35 pm »
    Having been inspired by the idea of this server around 4-6 months ago, i immediately sent off a character submission. It was approved. Only hung around for a few days and had to part with my computer for a while... Then I started playing on other servers, and came back here a day or two ago. And I suck. Maybe it's just that I'm not patient enough, maybe that I'm not 'doing it the right way', but I just can't seem to get past level one. Can't kill a single mere goblin without being made into a human (or rather dwarven) pincushion by poisoned arrows. Call me a nooblet and a whiner, but I really want to make the most of all the great capabilities here, but I just can't seem to get far at all. I only seem to encounter far higher level characters who have nothing to do with a mere level one. Maybe I do suck, but especially if I do, I could really use some advice.  :( As I say, I'd really like to get my character going and make some friends.

vgn

RE: Getting nowhere =/
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 04:49:53 pm »
    Well, it sounds like you've only been playing for a net time period of a couple of days. Instead of running out of town alone and getting the goblins that are a level or two out of your league all upset with you, I'd suggest sticking around town for a while. Talk to a few people, introduce yourself. See about trying some of the quests in town either alone (which I don't recommend) or with some of the people you meet.

That should get you off to a better start and you'll be having fun in no time.

Ne'er

Re: Getting nowhere =/
    « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 04:51:05 pm »
    Take a look around Hlint more, I know at least one area that even a level one anything would be hard pressed to get killed in. Also, don't be afraid to ask the higher levels for some help. Most will be more than willing to help you out.

And also levels aren't too too big of a deal. I won't say that they don't matter, cause I am pretty sure everyone is happy when they see the level up screen. But even a level 1 character can get involved in a big plot if they stick their head out there.

Sanehouse

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:53:53 pm »
      Greetings traveller,

Perhaps if you asked a fellow traveller whom is skilled in the magics of healing and curing, he or she would be more than willing to assist you on your quest to gain strength, fame, and fortune. I am sure that if you had an ally by your side, you would fare better in combat.

Kurth

• View Profile
        « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 04:58:05 pm »
        Thanks for the replies. I've got 2 quests in Hlint at the moment; getting a rat pelt, which I can't seem to find, and delivering a package to a fort I've never heard of. But thanks for the advice, I'll definately chill around town a bit more.

And I'll try and talk to the highbies Ne'er, even if they are scary! =)

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
          • View Profile
        « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:39:07 pm »
        Remember that even if the rating says another character is "Impossible" to you that only means they are level 6 or higher so some may not be all as impressive as you think.  It doesn't take long to get to level 7 or so (maybe a week or two).  If you get with a group and run around doing the set quests and getting familiar with the lay of the land.

freemen2

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 07:06:29 pm »
        Don't be afraid to talk to the Impossibles, to tell ya thee thruth if we don't have something on the burner we help if we like ya, or we're bored...just a word of caution, always have yer towel handy just in case ;)

And most of all, Welcome mate ;)

curtwise

• View Profile
          « Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 11:34:04 pm »
          Look up Elgon Merrick in Hlint or around the area, ask for a tour of the sewer or goblin mine...he can help ya!

I remember starting out too, and dying constantly. It seemed hard to ask or get folks to help but eventually I got to go out with the big boys.

RP it around the bank and the benches and someone will help ya out. If Elgon isnt busy he'll be glad assit you in gathering items for your quests and earning a few xp's too...and of course some RP if you want?!

Good Luck and enjoy.

LordCove

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 03:26:20 am »
          Aye, or catch Sallaron sometime......

....I still darent talk to some Impossibles, which is stupid really. But I try and help new characters whenever I can.

Kurth

• View Profile
            « Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 09:02:34 am »
            Again, thanks for all the replies, I've been around a bit, reached lvl 3 2day, blew every penny on a basic crafting certificate save 32 gp, but I'm loving it. I'll definately talk more to the big bad impossibles!

crazedgoblin

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 10:04:42 am »
            good to hear, there is allways someone around hlint, well most of the time

Ne'er

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 02:13:25 pm »
            LordCove - 8/11/2006  6:26 AM

....I still darent talk to some Impossibles, which is stupid really. But I try and help new characters whenever I can.

The impossibles aren't THAT scary. Sure, Ozy stands around with his glowing red spear, coughing and wiping blood on a cloth. And Remiel has his spiffy black armor. Plen has wings, nothing intimidating about that, right? :P