The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Good D&D reading  (Read 572 times)

jjkolb

Good D&D reading
« on: April 20, 2005, 06:09:00 am »
Aside from the standards, like Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends, Crystal Shard, etc., what are some really good novels to read that capture the feel of great D&D PnP?  Something that has action, magic, various races, and a compelling storyline.  Remember, I want to feel as though I am sitting at a table RPing with friends.

ZeroVega

RE: Good D&D reading
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 06:16:00 am »
  Ed got me interested in War of the Spider Queen a while back. I have to say, it's an excellent series (read 4 of 6 so far). The storyline in great though I did feel that it dropped off a bit in book 4 as the inevitable goodness started to snake it's way through the plot. The first and third books however were possibly some of the best reading I've ever had, and the second book tied the two into each other well. Though it won't make you feel like you're playing DnD with your friends (the story plot, characters, and events are far too complex) it is a great read and will definatly satisfy.
    Also remember hearing something about a book or series. Can't remember the name. Chronicles of Time or something like that. Also supposed to be very good and have a complex story line. And if that doesn't work for ya just pick up any Salvatore book and start reading. Some are more DnD-like than others but most of them work out for the better.
  -Zv

Leanthar

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 06:29:00 am »
If you buy books please buy from amazon and use the link supplied here at this time (up under shop).  It will help with supporting the server farms.
  Thank you.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 06:30:00 am »
Not sure I've read a Forgotten Realms book I really liked.

Prisim Pentad is a good 5 book series about Darksun, its pretty slick. Or I remember it being pretty slick.

There are a couple of Ravenloft books that are alright. I, Strahd and the one about Jander Sunstar and the other about Lord Soth called White Knight Black rose or something.

Anyway... good luck.

EdTheKet

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 08:24:00 am »
ZeroVega - 4/20/2005 3:16 PM     Ed got me interested in War of the Spider Queen a while back. I have to say, it's an excellent series (read 4 of 6 so far). The storyline in great though I did feel that it dropped off a bit in book 4 as the inevitable goodness started to snake it's way through the plot.
 Thanks.... I just managed to buy part 4 and still have to read it... :(

Also remember hearing something about a book or series. Can't remember the name. Chronicles of Time or something like that. Also supposed to be very good and have a complex story line.

That'd be the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I am going through parts 1-10 in sequence now (am at part 7) and still a page turner, although I admit it's a big series to start on as part 10 is not the last one either :0

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 08:33:00 am »
Read 4 of the 6 books in the series "Malazan books of the fallen", by Steven Erikson. I recommend you to read it. The characters are some of the most detailed I have seen, the plot is amazing, and the world is very dark, mysterious and dangerous. Great series! Ohh... and its continuing. Book 6 is just the newest in the series.

Harlas

slipperhero

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 08:55:00 am »
This isnt really D&D books but has a really nice epic story.
The books about The Black Company by Glen Cook. You can probably find them on Amazon.

cappyra

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
Terry Brooks - Sword of Shanara series.  Just awesome.

Raymond E. Feist - Magician: Apprentice (whole series of these books.  Very Good)

Etinfall

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
Yes, Terry Brooks. And not really DnD but Neil Gaiman can sure write a story.

deagle

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 10:43:00 am »
I agree, The Black Company is a great book. Others that I recommend are the stories by David Eddings "The Belgariad"," The Mallorean", and "The Ellenium" series as well as his other works, anything by Raymond E Feist "The Magician" series, works by Terry Brooks "The Shannara" stories, Katherine Kurtz "The Deryni" books, Tad Williams "The Dragonbone Chair", and Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman "The Death Gate" saga.
All are excellent works, I have read many fantasy novels and stories, you just have to pick it up and read a little to see if it entices your imagination enough to picture the story in your mind.
Good Reading.  

Deagle :)

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
I agree with the black company books."Crooker rules"
Right now Im reading  books by Kate Elliott "Crown of stars" series.

I have read so many books alot blend together.
The Silver Call and Iron Tower series were really AD&D'ish.I forgot who wrote them.
Thomas Covinent  and Thomas Covinent the unbeliever were good series.

The List is so big its hard to pick a few.

blonde

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
I have mostly read books set in the Forgotten Realms. Any book by Ed Greenwood is an excellent choice, the inventor of the Forgotten Realms. Also the dark elf series by R.A. Salvatore are very good.

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »
Leanthar - 4/20/2005  6:29 AM    If you buy books please buy from amazon and use the link supplied here at this time (up under shop).  It will help with supporting the server farms.
  Thank you.
 Now I know where I'm shopping for textbooks this semester... :)

Murgleys

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 12:13:00 am »
    Stephen R. Donaldson wrote the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever books (as already mentioned).  Good stuff but the second trilogy contains a plethora of words you need a dictionary for.
    George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire is an absolute must but not D&Dish.

Heathwalker

• View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 06:11:00 am »
      Murgleys - 4/21/2005  8:13 AM

second trilogy contains a plethora of words you need a dictionary for.

Contains a what-ora of words? :)

jjkolb

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 06:17:00 am »
      Great response from you guys, thanks.  I've read a number of your suggestions already.  Makes me want to read 'em again.  But I see a few new interesting ones that I'll look into.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Kevin5656

• View Profile
        « Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 08:00:00 am »
        If you've never read Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth novels (10 books all page turners and nice and long and the series isn't over) then you should really pick them up been the best reading I have done since Tolkien and Wheel of Time books.

cappyra

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 08:21:00 am »
        I put a bump here for Terry Goodkind.  Good reading.

As far as Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series...   I liked everything but the main character. . . Intresting world, in depth characters...

But Ugh...  the main character...  what was he called...  Berek Half Hand...

I guess what really turned me off about him was what happened early on in the book... right after he was exposed to the healing mud of the river. . .  

It was actually a while before I could get past that part to read the rest...

freemen2

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 09:26:00 am »
        Recluse serie (12books) By L.E.Modisitt Jr.
        Terry Brooks, pretty much all is good and funny to boot but the last Shannara serie (4verybigbooks) although good got to be draguing in length for me.
        Adventures of Conrad Stargardht by Leo Frankowski, very good.
        Piers Anthony, XANTH serie but everything else he's ever written is great ;)
        Katharine Kerr, Deverry & The Westlands series.

Varnart

• Followers of Aragen
          • Followers of Lucinda
          • Followers of Rofirein
          • View Profile
        « Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 01:23:00 am »
        I don't know if it's been translated, but there is a great series in portugal called "Crónicas de Allaryia"(Chronicles of Allaryia).
          I also recomend the Dragonlance books, they're great. I won't give any more books because my shelves are so full of them I don't have the time to say 'em all