The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Potions in no-magic areas  (Read 227 times)

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
Potions in no-magic areas
« on: June 15, 2006, 04:17:43 pm »
I have noticed that in no-magic areas cure potions work to for healing which makes sense due to their alchemical basis and not needing to be in touch with the weave to work.  What I was wondering is why other potions like bull's strength or for that matter any potion would not work in a no magic area.  It seems that alchemical based items should still function since they are just mixtures of herbs and dust and such and are not really magical based.  Does it have something to do with the way the game differentiates?  Just asking.

Thunder Pants

Re: Potions in no-magic areas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 05:54:33 pm »
the reason is because of the way that bioware implemented the potions to begin with, you see when you drink a potion the bioware system essentually casts that spell on you at a given spell level (3 in the case of bulls strength or example)

in actualality if you used the non targetable heal potions they wouldn't work either, the reason the targetable heal potions work, is because to work around the bioware system the team changed the way the potions worked, each on has a special ability instead of casting a spell, so they work while the bioware default potions will not work

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:00:24 pm »
That makes sense.  I thought it must be something like that.  Is there a similar reason to why sometimes the monsters can cast spells in the no magic area?

Thunder Pants

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:49:27 pm »
thats again because of the way that bioware AI uses spells the DM team has had to make many monster spells actually abilities

either that, or just like the full PVP doesn't affect monsters neither does the null magic zone

Chongo

RE: Potions in no-magic areas
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:22:11 pm »
Huh.  I'm could be wrong but all potions work off spell effects.  Usually what bypasses dead magic is anything not written into the script, i.e. all spells not tagged in that code.  This is often the case with modified spells with different labels, and seeing as how Layonara has modified so many aspects, it would not be surprising that maybe an overlooked potion spell that is customized is not tagged... perhaps even on purpose since healing potions would not really be threatening to the balance aspect as they aren't exactly a breeze to come by.

As for monsters casting spells, that's just how wild/ dead magic works.  It only recognizes a PC.  I've always rationalized this as the dominant power in the area has probably allowed it's minions to channel magic from it's own source.

That said... I'm not scripter.  You'd have to ask one of the ten pound brains around here.  8)

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 10:45:45 pm »
Thanks all of you for the explanations.  It always amazes me how much detail it takes to put together such a great world and how much thought has gone into it.

anything