The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: I all comes down to this  (Read 334 times)

Grid Blader

I all comes down to this
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:05:09 am »
For those that dont know I have been going to school to be a union plumber.  I know what most are thinking, why do you have to go to school for that long to do that?  Well it is for the 3 test I have to take towards the end of my 5 years of schooling. Which I am at the 4 1/2 year mark.

This sat will be the first, it is a 6 hour test it has over 500 questions.  (exp. What is a crown weir, to what is the code number for brazing low pressure medical oxygen used in a emergency room.)  Next sats test will ba a hands on test another 6 hours.  From drawing a waste piping system, to perpairing two peices of pipe to gether to be brazed, and other.  the third will be another test this time take on the computer this is the shortest of the test 3 hours long.  

I have two shots on each test.  If I dont pass just one of these tests I have done all of my training for nothing.  I must start over again.  I do mean all over.  I am kicked out, and have to start with the interview process again.  That means I will have no job :(.   Until or if I am excepted back in to the program.

I am not good with writen test as most know I am a very bad speller.  I am very good with hands on.  Well the computer test will be rough but I am sure I can pass that one.  We will soon see.

So If I dont pass these test anyone what to hire a washed out plumber to do yard work I come cheep.  I will only charge you my going rate for right now, 28.50 and hour.

I would not trade it for the world.  I have worked on a cheese plant, built one of fresno's biggest hospitals, help on the biggest building in fresno the federal court house,  Built a retirment houseing, and lets us not for get the bad of the bad a sewer treatment plant (stayed out there for 2 days then asked for a layoff).  

I would not trade it, not many can say I have walked the red iron, seen a building come alive, death two of them both iron workers (they were friends and I still miss them to this day).  I have stood on top of building and could see most of fresno and clovis.  When there is no smog in the air it is a nice view of the mountians.  

Well that is all.  I have to go to work now.  (I am so vervious right now and the test is not until tommorow, this is not a good sing.)

miltonyorkcastle

Re: I all comes down to this
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:13:48 am »
you'll do fine.  just relax.  you're not learning anything new, so trust your instincts.  we'll still be here after you've passed it.

Rasterick

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:21:51 am »
I have to say; and from my past experience of exams, it is not the questions but the technique and the way you approach them that is most important. I am sure you will be fine, and I wish you the very best of luck.

You were one of the first people I met when I joined Layonara, and I am always pleased to talk wih you when our very different timezones allow. Go into that exam, take some deep breaths and stay calm (easier said than done I know). Think not of success or failure, but of doing your very best, and you will sail through.

Good luck mate, all the way from England.

crazedgoblin

RE: I all comes down to this
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 06:24:08 am »
good luck

ttdavet

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:26:52 am »
    I have been a professional educator for almost twenty years and I don't like to give advice because its not usually worth the time it takes to read. But I will say this; RELAX.  Your passion and dedication to your chosen profession are obvious, you have spent five years learning the material, almost everything you are asked will seem like second nature to you.  It will be like asking a sports nut how to use a TV remote.  The biggest hurdle to your success will be your own mind, so really RELAX, you will do GREAT.  (repeat to yourself) Relax. I will do great.  (believe this and say it again)

Aragon

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 06:31:01 am »
    Tell my Dad to go easy on your computer test!

SuperMunch

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 06:49:13 am »
    What everybody said.

Relax.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 08:37:41 am »
    Take it easy man, and good luck! :)

Andrios

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 08:44:35 am »
    Wow.  All your hard work is about to pay off.  Get a good night's sleep and eat a good breakfast.  
    Congratulations!

Shadowblade225

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 10:17:31 am »
    Good Luck Grid. I have no doubt you'll do fine.  If it makes you feel better I took a similarly hard exam back in October.  Studied the entire summer for it and thus missed out on the beautiful weather.  If I failed the test I had one more chance to pass it but I did and I'm sure you can too :) Just relax, I'm sure you've prepared well for it.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 10:20:07 am »
    P.S. We all get nervous with these things.  Some are just able to hide that nervousness from others.  I'm sure there are many others that are about to take this exam - that are just as nervous or even more so than you.

Nyralotep

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 10:25:19 am »
    Good luck!

DarkMerc_1017

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 11:17:26 am »
    Good Luck

-----
    IN TIME THE STUDENT BECOMES THE MASTER
    "a hero is no braver then an ordinary man he is just brave 5 minutes longer"
    "courage is fear holding on a minute longer"
    "he who fears being conqured is sure of defeat"

osxmallard

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 11:31:34 am »
    Best of luck Q!

Witch Hunter

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 12:30:53 pm »
    Good luck! You'll do fine I'm sure! :)

xXDenizeNXx

• Followers of Dorand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 03:59:07 pm »
    Won't wish you good luck as you don't need it, you just speant the last five years studying it, all ya need to do now is apply it, Luck will not be a factor, just relax and ace that test ! ;)
    Peace
    Den

aragwen

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 01:02:57 am »
    Good Luck Q.
      Like everyone said. Get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast and just relax and if dont know the answer to one question move on and forget about it. Dont let it rattle you.
      You will do great, you will see.

Grid Blader

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 07:09:26 am »
    Well I think I am ready, tried to sleep but you all know how that goes.  So I am wired on Mountian Dew this morring :).  If I could I would shake all of your hands but with the price of gas and plane tickets this will have to do, thank you all for your kind words.  (Ok for all that dont know me my hummor is very dry and that is my best try at it.)  Here I go.

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
      • Followers of Vorax
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 11:28:06 am »
    Man youll do just fine. :)  Just stay chilly 8)

I cant spell and HATE math but in the NAVY we had to learn Electrical Engineering, in a school that you fail one test and your gone. I know your your thinking Engineering for the US NAVY well out at sea sometimes you dont have parts and you need to build from scratch. Sounds like fun dont it ... not.

I hope this is the Master Plumber cert.  ;)

deagle

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 05:02:01 pm »
    You'll do fine...you have spent the time with dedication...now seek the reward.