The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: In response to the huge threads on Drow overpopulation...  (Read 222 times)

miltonyorkcastle

In response to the huge threads on Drow overpopulation...
« on: July 15, 2005, 10:49:00 pm »
Take this for what you will and if this has been previously disceussed elsewhere in the forums I apologize.

Suggestion:  A simple way to reduce the number of strange (Wemic) and/or typically evil races among the adventurer population is to use a similar restriction to what has been done with Chaotic Neutral characters.  That is, keep all races except for the 'standard' (human, high/moon elf, hill dwarf, halfling, rock gnome, half-elf, half-orc) races restricted to those players who have had a standard race character and been an active part of the world (playing on the server) for at least 4 months.

This will not only help slow the population growth of evil races among adventurers, but ensure that those that do play them are familiar with recent events in the world and should be good at RPing those races.  Also, while some will complain about not being able to play their really cool Drow ftr/sorc/arcane archer idea, once they spend time with the human wizard they had to settle for instead, I guarantee that if they stay the four months they will have become completely attached to that character.  They may go ahead and get that cool Drow, but they will still spend time playing their first character, siginicantly cutting down on how often we see that Drow.

I DM PnP DnD, and I for one do not allow gamers who are new to my campaigns (i.e. I've just met) play anything other than the standard races.  It's not until after I have seen them RP that I allow them to play other races, particularly because of how much more difficult they are to RP.

Alright, that's all for now.  Let me know what you think.

anything