The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Just a simple request...  (Read 257 times)

Nook

• View Profile
    Just a simple request...
    « on: October 13, 2006, 08:03:51 pm »
    Let me start by telling you why I'm about to ask what I am;

This past week my uncle was caught in a press at his work, most of his upper left side was crushed (I'll leave the details at that, so not to gross anyone out).  He is in his 60's (might be late fifties), and is currently stable in the hospital.  He has O+ blood and they are starting to run short (he's already had 16 pints, unofficially).  I have A+ so i'm out of the question as a donor, though, I have about 6 people lined up.

Here's where it starts to get really messed up.  You can't just walk into the Red Cross and tell them you want to donate blood for a specific person (my wife is my uncles blood type).  It has to be set up through the doctor treating the person.  The doctor has to call the specific Red Cross you want to go to and tell them that he wants the blood type, who he wants it for and (get this) how many pints he's going to need.  First off, who in the heck is gonna know exactly how many pints they're going to need?...How about "As many as you can get me."

Anyway, on to my request.

I know that not everyone has time to take off, and our schedules compaired with the Red Cross's kinda keep us from giving blood.  All I ask is that every so often, take a day or a half day and go give a pint.  Since we can't really choose who gets it, you never know when it will be needed.  As I said, I have A+, it's what 1/3 of the worlds population has, but that leaves seven other blood types to take up the other 2/3.  I still give whenever I get a chance, rare blood type or not.  If you want to get technical, it actually leaves 15 other blood types (A+ with an rh factor of -, etc.  It gets real in depth).

All I ask is that those who can, give when you can.  It could be you or one of your families lives that you save...and I'm willing to bet that many of you here already give, this is just a reminder.

And just for those that were wondering, today there was no word from the hospital on how my uncle is doing...while it's not exactly good news-it actually is good news, because it's not bad news.

Thank you all for hearing out my little plea.
    Jeff (a.k.a. Amber Mcduff)

GM's, feel free to edit out anything that my not be appropriate, but please leave the initial request.

darkstorme

Re: Just a simple request...
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:53 pm »
    O+, and I donate every 100 days or so.  Everyone should.  It costs a fortune to process blood already, so don't make scarcity a problem as well. :)

Nook

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:24:41 pm »
      Thats great, Darkstorme.  You rock!  

You know, even for those who sell their blood, there ain't nothing wrong with that.  If I could get $400 a pint, I'd donate twice a month.  There's no shame in it.

Whether you give freely or sell it, people who need it are still getting it, and that's what counts.
       :D

darkstorme

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:33:11 pm »
      Can't sell it in Canada anyway. *chuckles*  They give me a cookie.  I'm happy.

Gulnyr

RE: Just a simple request...
      « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:05:46 pm »
      I have O- blood.  They love me.

I hope your uncle pulls through.

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 03:46:26 am »
      I'm A+ too, and I donate every 56 days. I just recently dropped my 9th gallon. I know that doesn't help much, but it's the thought that counts, right?
        Wish I could help.

crazedgoblin

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 05:31:58 am »
      when im old enough i will, need to be 17, almost there :D

cbnicholson

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 06:36:10 am »
      One of the advantages of working where I do is the vampires er, I mean phlebotomists show up like clockwork right where I work.  If I had anymore holes in my arms, people would start to think I have a bad habit. I hope your uncle pulls through this, Nook.
      "Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

Leanthar

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 07:08:04 am »
      I have O- and I donate 2-3 times a year. My wife (Beverly) donates every few months like clockwork.

I hope everything works out for your uncle.

Nook

• View Profile
        « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 07:39:14 am »
        Thanks everyone!  As it stands, he's still stable.  While I didn't post the extent of his injuries, I can tell you that "stable" is amazingly great condition.

Shadowblade225

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 07:53:17 am »
        O+

Yes please everyone, donate blood when you can.  I've seen the situation that arrises from a shortage first hand (I work in a clinic during part of the week.)

Nook

• View Profile
          « Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 05:44:30 pm »
          Just a little update...
          He has unofficially had 18 pints of blood--he's over 2 new people.
          He is stablizing more and more every day.  His blood preasure is begining to stablize itself, so he might not need anymore blood.
          They go in every 48 hours to clean out where he had internal bleeding and as of Sunday there was no more infection...I haven't heard about today.
          As it stands, he's doing a lot better.

Leanthar

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 07:08:03 pm »
          That is good news. Thank you for the update.

deagle

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 08:03:12 pm »
          Glad to hear he is doing well...

I have an office blood drive 2 to 3 times a year and we push for additional donations when possible.

anything