The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Lag Question  (Read 230 times)

Crunch

Lag Question
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:37:52 pm »
As I understand the lag-on-log-in problem, it has to do with the server verifying EVERYTHING in your inventory, including counting through all the stacked items.  I know that CNR is a major part of this, but what about arrows?  I don't think it is unusual for an archer to buy over a thousand arrows in a single trip to the store.  The last a bow centered character wants is to run out of arrows, and when hasted and with rapid shot, he or she goes through 6 arrows a round.  As I understand the setup, a stack of 99 arrows is essentially the same as 10 stackes of 10 dust each.

Guardian 452

Re: Lag Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:41:15 pm »
Enzo went thru over 3000 arrows on a trip deep into the Underdark.

Maybe he needs a bow with unlimited ammo (I wish)

I have been trying to trim his inventory the past few days, but he is always going to be carrying a few thousand arrows.

ZeroVega

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:47:03 pm »
If only we'd gotten the quiver of arrows to work.

Leanthar

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 05:51:53 pm »
A stack of 99 arrows is "1 item" during login verification by the system. It is not the same as 10 stacks of 10 gems, but it would be the same as 1 stack of 10 gems. Each stack is treated as 1 item, that is the best way to look at things.

Gem dust isn't always need in the major quantities that people like to carry around (for whatever reason) but arrows are (clearly).

Guardian 452

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 05:56:33 pm »
oh yeah I remember those ZV, too bad they never worked out!

Crunch

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 07:03:09 pm »
Thanks L, that clarifies things a lot.  I thought I had read earlier that each item in each stack was counted.

Does an empty container count as a single item, or is there some extra time to check for contents even when it's empty?  I noticed when I offloaded into my house after the database scrub that I was causing a lot of lag on log in, even though I was mostly just carrying empty boxes and bags.

Drizzlin

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 11:36:01 pm »
Leanthar - 11/4/2006  5:51 PM

A stack of 99 arrows is "1 item" during login verification by the system. It is not the same as 10 stacks of 10 gems, but it would be the same as 1 stack of 10 gems. Each stack is treated as 1 item, that is the best way to look at things.

Gem dust isn't always need in the major quantities that people like to carry around (for whatever reason) but arrows are (clearly).

So in theory, making it so dusts can stack in into 100 would help reduce lag. I know that you have said people will just have 10 stacks of 100 then. I however do not think this would be the complete truth. I think this would be a good answer to the lag problems. As long as items build up weight while be stacked, it would seem to me that by allowing things to stack into larger piles will cut down on lag. This would also be a better solution to what is being beat to death about limiting storage spaces in chests.

Leanthar

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 02:40:16 am »
@Crunch, each one is an item--empty or not.

@Drizzlin "...I however do not think this would be the complete truth...." Regardless it would be how things worked out eventually. We could definetly put more weight to things but when we do players tend to complain that things are too heavy or "it doesn't make sense that they weigh somuch"...but somehow they forget that it doesn't make sense that they are carrying multiple armor/weapons etc. in a backpack and doing combat and running 24/7. heh.. There is no win in this situation, we do the best we can with what we have and hope the players help out.

Messy

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 06:33:08 am »
    Leanthar - 11/5/2006  11:40 AM
    @Crunch, each one is an item--empty or not.

Each item in the container is checked as well.