The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Layo map  (Read 222 times)

Talan Va'lash

Layo map
« on: April 01, 2005, 05:03:00 pm »
All this disscussion of maps, and photoshop gave me the crazy idea to... make a map in photoshop.  well, it sounded a lot crazier in my head...

Anyway, heres a small portion of it, its not really populated yet, and I havent figured out how to make mountains that don't suck.  So, if anyone has any advice on the mountains, let me know.

Doc-Holiday

RE: Layo map
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 05:09:00 pm »
Oooo! Purtty! better than I could do. :D

Vyris

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 05:20:00 pm »
Looks good Talan, get it complete and sized right and I will use it as my wallpaper :)

Vyris

Leanthar

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:43:00 pm »
Great start.

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 07:28:00 pm »
its wonderfull, and the mountesn look fine, they get teh point across

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 09:22:00 pm »
Been working on this a bit on and off since I wasnt in the mood to play Talan.  Heres an updated version of southern mistone.  (northern mistone is rather boring right now as its all empty, so I figured I wouldnt include it.)

Vyris

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 10:29:00 pm »
you should increase the font size for the towns, I can barely read them :)

Vyris

Ar7

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 02:59:00 am »
Vyris - 4/1/2005  10:29 PM

you should increase the font size for the towns, I can barely read them :)

Vyris

Wanted to suggest the same thing, maybe even use some medieval like letter for the "old" look. But it looks great, I hope you make the enitire Layonara.

.[/QUOTE]

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 08:37:00 am »
Could you guys look at the second sample at acctual pixel size (100% zoom), not zoomed in or zoomed out, and let me know if the city labels are still too small?

This one is the "Big Map" thats going to have everything on it, its not really going to be possible to fit it all on the screen at once.  If I make everything too big it will end up really cluttered.  I'll probably have the several files of it, the whole big map, then broken into smaller sections at the same zoom.  and then one from farther away, which will have only the larger cities and such but the text will be larger since its intended to be looked at zoomed further out.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 09:18:00 am »
bonus!...looks good to me...

LoganGrimnar

• Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 01:43:00 pm »
it looks cool, do you plan to do all of layo?

Etinfall

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 05:27:00 pm »
Looks good Talan. I can read them. If ya want some help let me know. I can do just about anything in ps. I can make it a pdf when done...well you have a mac too so you can to..do that voodoo that you doo.

ummmmm...

Etin

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2005, 06:20:00 pm »
Yeah, macs are great... except when they suck... like... for games... grr.

*grumbles about paying full price for half a product 9 months after it was out for PC*

Leanthar

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 06:27:00 pm »
Looks good to me. 

s0ulz

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 07:32:00 am »
that map sample actually looks really good and seems easier to the eyes.. keep it up...

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 09:40:00 pm »
Haven't touched this for a while... put in a few new things today, and had done a bit since the last time I posted any of it.

Here's the whole thing at full size, cut into thirds.

A lot of things are still missing... but, it'll get done eventually.

oh, and if etin or someone wants to help out and add in some of the things that are missing (like... the high forest heh) Let me know and I'll send you the PSD (or host it somewhere... i think its probably too big to email with most services.)  But be warned... forests are a pain.

Edit: I'm not too hip with "color management"... not even entirely sure what that means.  But, my colors (most notably the "land" color, the pale green) are ending up a lot paler once I jpg it.  I'll probably have to pick a jpg compatable color thats closer to what I want instead of letting it choose which it thinks is closest.

RomonaBlack

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 09:27:00 am »
    I like it a lot.  The maps on this site are informative but they are too big to print out so I can never have the map to look at.  Maybe you could add trials and roads so newer people like me can feel secure enough to try to find other places without running into a Horde of the Underdark (hehe sorry bad pun).  Keep up the good work.
    -Romona

Germaine Lorn

• View Profile
      RE: Maps of Hlint
      « Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
      After the attacks on Hlint Mary Blood Axe got around to looking at just how easy it would be to defend the town from another attack.  She made a sketch of Hlint, marking on the things she saw as being imortant areas for the town to protect.  I did another taken from rebuilding screenshots to provide more detail.

Hopefully they are not too big to post.

Mary Blood Axe

Etinfall

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 11:39:00 pm »
      Talan, I missed this earlier somehow. If you send me the psd file I can do some work on it. Having the psd will allow me to use the same colors and effects, The ones you use for terrain arte pretty good in my eye.

anything