The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Layonara people! Help me!  (Read 449 times)

Kaail

Layonara people! Help me!
« on: November 26, 2009, 02:57:52 pm »
I have to do a questionnaire for some work and I thought that all you layonara players could help me!

Please post answers like this;

Have you ever taken antibiotics? yes/no/don't know

Have you ever asked your doctor for antibiotics? yes/no/don't know

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold?  yes/no/don't know

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis?  yes/no/don't know

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics?  yes/no/don't know

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics?  yes/no/don't know

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK?  yes/no/don't know

Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria?  yes/no/don't know

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine?

[SIZE=48]Thanks for helping![/SIZE]

EdTheKet

Re: Layonara people! Help me!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:05:24 pm »
Have you ever taken antibiotics? yes

Have you ever asked your doctor for antibiotics? no

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold? No (because they don't work against viruses, although many people think they do. You need antivirals for that!)

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis? yes

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics? yes, else it may not kill all bacteria and they become resistant.

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics? yes!

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK? no (but I'm not in the UK, but I also don't want it over here) because people will then take them whenever they want to leading to increased chance of resistance

Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria? yes

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? yes!!!

(I'm a pharmacologist, so I'm biased and got on my soapbox a bit ;) )

merlin34baseball

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:13:59 pm »
Here ya go...

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold? no

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis? yes

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics?  yes

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK? I agree with Ed... Nope

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics?  yes

Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria?  yes

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? yes

Carillon

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:15:31 pm »
You know .. if you want a second survey, you can make a carbon copy of Ed's. My answers are exactly the same. My first degree was as a bio major--took way too much microbiology, pathology, cell bio, and genetics not to know how antibiotics work.

Alazira

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »
My answers are a carbon copy of Ed and Carillons.. I don't have a science degree, I just know these things.  *smiles*

Katie

Ravemore

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:34:30 pm »

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold? no

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics? yes

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK? no

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics? yes

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? yes

minerva

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 03:47:57 pm »
language and question clarification .  

Chemist Shop - doesn't that equate to a Drug Store in North America?  Is the question can you buy them in a drug store as in an over the counter sitaution such as ASA or allergy medications or behind a qualified pharmacy counter with a written prescription such as what it currently in place.

Kaail

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 03:50:40 pm »
over the counter antibiotics

OneST8

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 03:55:49 pm »

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis? no

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK? no

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? perhaps but probably no

minerva

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:16:01 pm »
Please post answers like this;

Have you ever asked your doctor for antibiotics? No

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold? No

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis? No - Not all bacterial infections require antibiotics. Some can be managed by modulating the body's immune system to work more effectively or by making an enviroment where protective bacteria can overwhelm destructive varieties or an environment unwelcoming for bacterial growth - all strategies in preventing the overuse of antibiotics and emerging antibiotic resistance.

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics? Yes

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK? No

Link092

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 06:13:11 pm »

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold? yes/no/don't know

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis? yes/no/don't know (With some exceptions)

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics? yes/no/don't know

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics? yes/no/don't know

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK? yes/no/don't know

Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria? yes/no/don't know

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? yes/no/don't know

lonnarin

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 06:37:13 pm »

Yes

Yes

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold?  yes/no/don't know

No, antibiotics don't work against a virus

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis?  yes/no/don't know

Yes

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics?  yes/no/don't know

YES.  More people need to do this, otherwise they will just get sick again

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics?  yes/no/don't know

YES

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK?  yes/no/don't know

Yes.  I wish they were easier to attain w/out a doctor visit

Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria?  yes/no/don't know

Yes

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine?

Yes

Good luck!

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:29:39 am »

Have you ever asked your doctor for antibiotics? yes

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold? yes

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis? don't know

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK? don't know//Lives in USA

Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria? no

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? Unknown

Erik K

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold?  no

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK?   no, I live in the US, but its a really bad idea

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine?  yes

darkstorme

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 11:10:33 pm »
  • Have you ever taken antibiotics? Yes
  • Have you ever asked your doctor for antibiotics? Yes
  • Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold?  No
  • Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis?  Yes
  • Do you always finish a course of antibiotics?  Yes
  • Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics?  Yes
  • In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK?  No  (Nor in Canada, where I live.)
  • Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria?  Yes
  • Are antibiotic bacteria more likely to appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? Yes.
There you go!

Chazzler

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 09:05:45 pm »

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold?  no

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics?  yes

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics?  yes

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK?  no

Pseudonym

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 09:31:27 pm »
Have you ever taken antibiotics? Yes

Have you ever asked your doctor for antibiotics? Yes

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by a virus, such as a cold?  I would expect them to ... because I have generally low expectations of their desire to cure me versus their desire to receive pharmaceutical company kickbacks. Don't confuse this expectation with a lack of understanding on my part about the futility of receiving such a prescription.

Would you expect your doctor to give you antibiotics if you had an illness caused by bacteria, such as tonsillitis?  Yes

Do you always finish a course of antibiotics?  Yes

Do you think it matters if you don't finish a course of antibiotics?  Yes

In some countries you can buy antibiotics at a chemists shop, would you like to do this in the UK?  Not relevant to me. If you take away one thing for an Englishman to complain about, they'll soon find another.

Have you heard of antibiotic resistant bacteria?  Yes

Are antibiotic bacteria more likely appear when people don't finish their course of medicine? Yes

PS. Don't forget my Thank You.

Kaail

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 12:23:43 pm »
no more replies please, I have enough data.

PS. Pseudonym, I'm an Englishman...and a Polishman so Im not sure where I fit in there :P

anything