The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: New web IRC interface  (Read 318 times)

orth

New web IRC interface
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:07 am »
Hi all,

I've integrated a new web based irc widget which is provided for free by mibbit.com .  It seems to be a bit more featured then our existing one, specifically being able to handle private conversations.

For those who use IRC via web, please give it a try and let me know what you think.

http://forums.layonara.com/betairc/

Cheers,
orth

Lynn1020

Re: New web IRC interface
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:45 am »
So with this you don't have to download anything to use it?  Very cool!

It would help if everyone would use their forum or character names when they log in.

Filatus

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:59:46 am »
I gave it a try, and it looked pretty clean, neat and easy to use. Apart from private conversation, joining channels other than #nwn also works now which is a huge bonus. Only problem here is that you can only have one channel within any one window. So I tried opening the irc channel in two different windows, but that didn't work.

I do think it's supposed to be able to do it, the way the interface shows the channel like a tab. But if it is possible, it's not easy to figure out for oneself

And the colours feel a little bit too much like the seventies. ;)

EDIT: One problem that I found, using explorer. Every time I click the chat window, the screen goes black. It's kind of a look but don't touch thing.

EDIT2: All right, it definitely hates Internet Explorer 7.

EDIT3: According to the wiki, this piece of code needs to be added to the top of the page for use with IE.

Code: [Select]

orth

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:43:25 am »
DTD added, thanks for that Filatus.

Filatus

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 10:52:08 am »
Works like a charm now. :)

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:53:49 am »
Snazzy!
It even lets me join other channels
Thanks!

Dorax Windsmith

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:50:49 pm »
Wow, so much easier to use.  Thanks Orth!

Chazzler

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:53:59 am »
Wondrous! For now I have used only http://www.webchat.xs4all.nl but it won't let me join any other networks than IRCnet (and Efnet, which I don't use). So the mibbit page surely goes into my bookmarks, so I can chat from work! HAR!

Thank you!

OneST8

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 09:10:52 am »
Please see the following thread: IRC Service Home Site. The mibbit client widget has been included there as a more formal page (basically lacking the "beta" in the name now hehe).

Enjoy!