The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Now that the orc series has ended...  (Read 162 times)

Harlas Ravelkione

Now that the orc series has ended...
« on: November 02, 2005, 03:28:00 am »
I would like say thank you to my devout group of players. You guys coped will with the changes that were forced upon you (more or less), and you adapted well to your new roles. You RP'ed very well, also outside of the quests, and you caused involvement of a lot of characters that had no direct connection to the series.
Now that I look back and review my first series as a GM on Layonara, I must say that I could not be any happier about the outcome of it. :)

Thanks to everyone involved.

Harlas

Harloff

RE: Now that the orc series has ended...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:00:00 am »
*blushes* I couldn't have done it without the others.... ;)

The series was a huge success Harlas, I enjoyed every minute of it. Except those moments when I was scared to death, absolutely certain that Skarp would die in a few moments. And dying on one of your quest is REALLY scary knowing that your true GM name isn't "Harlas" but "the Tokenater"...

I really appreciate the huge effort you put into it, but some day I will return and kill that blasted mad wizard...

Meizter

• Followers of Mist
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:08:00 am »
It was an amazing series Harlas and I must say I have looked forward to 6PM every tuesday night in the last months for it has really been a blast.

I also feared for my life often, very often actually and I am happy to have escaped the Tokenator with only one encounter hehe

Wintersheart

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:57:00 am »
    Excellent quest series showing a lot of effort. It was at times an extremely frustrating experience, but it has left me with a sense of accomplishment. Well done Harlas!

You deserve a lot of praise for this quest but one thing particular I would like to point out is that you allowed the different classes to play their roles. This lead to real team effort as each class in turn had their role to play. Since I play a cleric of Mist it was great to be allowed to call in the rainstorm on Roldem. All of this would not have been possible however if it wasn't for one of the greatest group of players. Rolf might have moaned, grumbled, complained, been angry, been disbelieving, sighed and grumbled some more, but as a player I enjoyed it and would go questing with you lot any day.

Alantha: you are as deadly as one would expect a drow sorceress to be. *grins* out of orc form also as beautiful....
    Bil: Kept me laughing when you played Bil the goblin slave. I am still convinced you spat in our food *winks*. I missed you in the final battle.
    Daeron a.k.a. "the singing mage": what is there to say apart from bring plenty of cotton for your ears.
    Ayla and Geir: Never thought orc love could be romantic, but you proved it so. An excellent job with Corash. Rolf might consider you both a bit on the soft side, but you follow the doctrine of Aeridin well.
    Harg: Aggresive, foul mouthed and proud. You bore your burden well and while Rolf might not agree with you about much he does respect your faith.
    Ael: You play a very convincing monk. Had my doubts when I first met a drow monk, but you have convinced me. Well done.
    Jacchri: What can I say? One of my favourite characters on the server and a great addition to any party that lets you scout and use your skills.
    Varka: You play a great dwarven fighter. Doubt I will forget seeing you fight three rounds with a demon at 3 hit points.
    Skarp: *grins* you didn't play an orc - you were an orc. If any of us could have passed unnoticed in orc society it was you.

Sharing the burden of orc form made us a tight knit group of players and gave a very special sense of comradeship.

THE ORCS SHALL RETURN!

Leanthar

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:58:00 am »
    Good job Harlas! I have heard some really good things about this series.  I have also heard how good the players were RP'ing, which is always great to hear--good job to everybody.

KageKeeper

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 06:08:00 am »
    I was not personally involved with this quest, but I had the opportunity to RP with a fair number of the orcs. They *all* did a great job RPing themselves as orcs.

Bravo to everyone!

Harloff

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 06:36:00 am »
    *shakes his fist at Rolf*

You call me an orc you bloody greedy chaos loving priest you, if my wife would let me i would teach you a leason...

aragwen

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 07:09:00 am »
    What can I say that have not allready been said.
      I just loved this quest series. Going to miss my Tuesday night orc game. Never thought that the orc form would affect Jacchri's life in so many ways.
      To Harlas and all the players you all rocked and did a great great great great great great (X10) job.

Tedulas

• View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 07:54:00 am »
      It's over?
      I wasn't really involved but I enjoyed:
      "LOOK OUT! AN ORC" *He equips his iron rapier ready to attack*

Then the orcs will be "Don't even try me fool..."

I'll miss that...*He sighs*

:)

Sahala

• View Profile
        « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 08:21:00 am »
        I was also not personally involved, but as Ael and Sahala are a couple, the series had a MAJOR impact on her life.  I could go into details, but it would take pages.  This has certainly been one of the most far reaching quests that I have seen here as far as how many players it impacted.  Impressive.

Filatus

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 08:54:00 am »

Yep, Tuesday will never be the same. And by the way Rolf, it's not my fault a mage can't put skillpoints in perform.

Thanks must go out to Harlas, his DM'ing was very good during the whole series. Each action had its own consequences and the party really learned to take things slow and think about what had happened in earlier episodes to create the full picture.

I myself have learned quite a few things during this quest.

1. Smart foes tend to go after the mages first. Who can blame them.
        2. Zombies can not swim, as Daeron personally found out, when he was sinking further and further in the subterranean lake.
        3. Never open a mad wizard's cupboard.
        4. Discretion is the better part of valour.

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
          • Followers of Xeen
          • View Profile
        « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
        Hahahaha, after classes started, I couldn't participate personally in the series anymore... kind of glad they started when they did, as they made me miss the pivotal episode where everyone was orc'ed.  I had a lot of fun on the side with all the orc'ed characters, and being one of the initial handful to know what was *really* going on.  Seeing Jacchri post in the Orc Bashers asking us not to bash him was priceless.  I ran into Harg in the middle of Hlint without knowing who it really was... that was quite a show.  Trying to remember peoples' Orc names in case there were spies about... Good times, good times.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »
        Hey, Pyyran did his best to take part in the efforts, and gave Ayla a good many boxes of skeleton's knuckles, there at the end. What was it, three in about forty-five minutes? That's got to be some kind of record.

This was definately the single most far-reaching quest series that I've ever seen, in terms of players who were brought into it, and I can't wait to get into something similar, myself.

I wonder how I'd fare against this Tokenator fellow...

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
        Not that I was involved in the quest, but the players involved gave the opportunity to add more substance to my own character.
        Well done.

P.S. Hope you are available for CDQs :P

Varka

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 10:01:00 pm »
        aragwen - 11/2/2005  7:09 AM    What can I say that have not allready been said.
          I just loved this quest series. Going to miss my Tuesday night orc game. Never thought that the orc form would affect Varkas life in so many ways.
          To Harlas and all the players you all rocked and did a great great great great great great (X10) job.
          Hey!!!!!!!!.....what am I going to do now - every tuedays??? *looks at the Calender for the second part of the orc quest*..well we never know what Harlas will cook up for us... ;)   But Harlas - when you run something again make sure to post it in big letters. I will be there.

Chrys Ellis

• View Profile
          « Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 10:23:00 pm »
          I have been playing on Layonara for over two years now, with a bit of a hiatus in the middle. I came into this series a couple weeks before the big transformation, and if you had asked me, I would have sworn you (Harlas) had run many quest series before this one.  I still can't believe this was your first.  Did I really read that correctly?  WOW!
            I think what I loved most, and sometimes hated most, was that the players determined a lot of how the day went.  It must have taken quite a bit of patience at times, watching the group flounder, when you could have so easily thrown us a bone to point us in the right direction. I know there were times you had to help guide us a bit, but we had a LOT of lattitude.
            The last chapter in the series was no exception.  The group could have acquiesced with the mad wizard's request, and I'm sure the implications would be a lot different than they are now.  Fortunately, the orcs were not THAT desperate to regain their original forms, and calmer heads prevailed.
            I admit I regretted later not transforming into an orc like most of the group did, but, as I've said, I felt it wouldn't be right for Xiao to do it, and it was probably good that a few people declined.  It was just a bummer for those weeks when it was all orcs, and I couldn't participate.  Seems like that really brought that group of players a lot closer. 
            I am very happy that it will work out that you'll be running my ECDQ.  If it can affect the landscape of Layonara even 1/20th of what this series did, it will be amazing.  I look forward to sharing ideas with you when you are ready.
            For anyone who hasn't had the privilege of joining in on one of Harlas' quests yet, do yourself a favor and watch the calendar for his name, and sign up for one.  Just be prepared for a challenge.

anything