The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: NWN and Vista (32 bit)  (Read 543 times)

LynnJuniper

NWN and Vista (32 bit)
« on: September 05, 2008, 01:04:04 pm »
I'm asking here because no one on the server I play on seems to have any sort of definitive answer, and I know you guys are a smart bunch of people and some of you are very tech savy.

I just ordered a new gaming computer, and since its impossible to order a high end machine that runs XP properly with its components , and building is out of the question for me, I need to know if Neverwinter Night's runs on Vista 32 bit.

I've heard some horror stories, But I also played just fine on Jason's laptop that ran it while I was in CA.

So, anyone that knows anything difinitive , if they could please respond here and Ill try to check every so often.

As always, Lurve you guys :) And hope things are well, Hi to the people I talked to extensively and stuff...Yadda yadda.:p:p

Lord of the Forest

Re: NWN and Vista (32 bit)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 01:13:53 pm »
Heya,

well I run NWN here on my notebook with Vista Home Premium 32-bit installed. With the 1.69 it runs just fine from what I experienced. There are some issues with 1.68 though, but in general it runs.

Weeblie

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 01:46:31 pm »
NWN works flawlessly on my Vista 64-bit with an ATi Radeon 4870 card.

Only thing of note is that unless you have a ASUS Xonar D2/D2X (and perhaps a few other high end sound cards), you may -not- enable EAX/3D/stuff under the sound settings or you will have some extraordinary weird "lag".

Filuviel

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 01:49:29 pm »
No more NWN crash with Vista than I had with XP and my former system.

Lynn1020

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 01:55:05 pm »
I use Vista and have no problems with it.

Masterjack

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 02:19:51 pm »
I find NWN works better on my Vista (64) computer then my XP one.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:32:29 pm »
Thanks Everyone!

Xiaobeibi

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 07:30:22 pm »
You might have to play around with the graphics settings and such. Most of my problems with Vista seemed to stem from those.

Also I sometimes crash when transiting areas - something I did not use to, but I cant say if it has anything to do with Vista

Acacea

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »
Works fine here too, both 1.68 and 1.69. Haven't noticed any more crashes than usual.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:10:10 pm »
Dude all computer kits these days come with instructions that are as easy to follow as lego directions. The hardest part is mounting the CPU fan if you go intel. Build your own and you save 1000 USD.

The Saxon

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:35:33 pm »
    Sometimes older games have trouble running on Vista, but there is a fix. If you are having troubles, just turn off the UAC (user access controls). Also you might need to give it full permissions. I had no trouble myself with playing with Vista. Hope this is good info to you.

LynnJuniper

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:56:18 pm »
    Quote from: Eight-Bit
    Dude all computer kits these days come with instructions that are as easy to follow as lego directions. The hardest part is mounting the CPU fan if you go intel. Build your own and you save 1000 USD.

But I only..spent..a thousand, and got a really good one..
    By the by

Hey Eightbit, Something funny:
    I just figured out yesterday that a character I've been running quests for , for the last month or so, played here briefly as one of your mage's apprentices. Small world.

---

Seriously though, thank all you guys: New faces and old. Its good to pop in here occasionally, be able to say hi to old friends and still receive a nice level of courtesy. Enjoy Gaming~