The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: On the subject of evil cities  (Read 291 times)

Acacea

On the subject of evil cities
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:19:17 pm »
As requested...

Quote from: Guardian 452
I know I asked not to pick ideas apart but I wanted to make one of my ideas a bit more clear

#10. The Evil truly evil starting city. I didnt mean go kill "good" PC's. I do not beleive most of the people can truly handle PvP with the amount of maturity it needs to make it work correctly. I meant in from this Evil City you would have quests to go kill Farmer "X" rather than go help find his lost cow. Or Go steal weapons and deliver them to the Evil City to get your Helm of Armor 1 and 2.  That sort of thing.

Anything regarding alignment, race, class, gender, whatever-based starting areas is not sustainable given the player population, even in its most ideal form. Not only that, but the whole idea of a city full of evil people doing evil things, gosh the things they get up to, is itself difficult to do. Better would be to integrate quests targeting evil PCs into an existing starting area, like an underground, or whatever.

We are trying to merge player populations, not divide them further.

So from this I would scratch the entire concept of any new starting areas and instead make it a much more reasonable request of static quests that have a little more ethical variety to them, possibly even with a choice of how they are completed. I really can't stand the fed-ex quest system in general, but leaving the bulk as they are and just adding a few worthwhile ones could spread some variety.

Vehl - Shady dude fedex just asking for tainted substance in gloom woods cave. Reason to go there, clear intention to manufacture and sell. Perhaps you could consider an option on completion to take either gold or some basic instruction in exchange, and get poison crafting XP.

Toss an Az'attan in the Gloom Woods that appears if you have accepted or denied quest (on conversation having happened at all) that wishes a sample herself for the purpose of a cure, and you can only turn it in to one person. *shrugs*

Do anything 2409523092 times and it's going to get stupid. But at least there are already 2-3 more possible outcomes and isn't a) help me save my puppy or b) help me collect this blood of virgin.

The following users thanked this post: Gulnyr, miltonyorkcastle, Lance Stargazer, Alatriel, geloooo

Hellblazer

Re: On the subject of evil cities
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:16:05 pm »
The problem with having a separate start point is not that you would divide the people. It's the numbers of player that we have now, a separate starting city only for evil characters would not work. Were we 100+ players playing 25/7, it would work without problems. But the server is not near that amount of player. And that is why the idea wouldn't work, although a very good idea and has been done with success in other places, but those places had a stronger player base that we have.

Acacea

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:56 pm »
Pretty much the point of the post, yes...

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »
I was just making a precision. The idea is a viable idea. It wouldn't divide the server if the server had enough people. I understood your post in the other way, that the idea wasn't a viable idea at all, no matter the amount of people on the server.

Sorry if I didn't understood your post properly.

anything