The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Phoenix Quests  (Read 406 times)

Carillon

Phoenix Quests
« on: October 18, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »

Note: Click on the image to be directed to my GM introduction thread.

The following users thanked this post: Serissa, Chongo, Hellblazer

Carillon

Re: Phoenix Quests
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 07:12:36 pm »
Dear Layonarans,

Consider this a formal invitation to my first quest as a gamemaster, Red Red Wine. I hope to see many of you there!

Please remember that this will be the first quest I'll be running as a gamemaster, and as such I ask that you bring some patience with you and forgive me any novice mistakes I might make! I've limited the party size to ten for this quest so I'm not overwhelmed with a large and active party while I'm still getting used to the GM client.

For any of you that can't make this quest or might not get a spot if we have a lot of people sign up, don't fear! More quests will be scheduled soon, and I'll always try to post in this thread as well as on the calendar. Please also use this thread if you have any questions for me about my quests or other GMly things. (Or, alternatively, if you want to tell me what a fantastic GM I am! *grins* Flattery will get you everywhere!)

Well, that's about all for now. See you soon!

~Carillon

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:30:54 pm »
Remap that save button ;)

Carillon

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:35:24 pm »
Already done! Remapping save and pause were my first two interactions with the GM client. But thanks for the friendly advice!

Tanman

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:59:09 am »
What about that 'kill' button? :P

Carillon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 01:50:05 am »
Okay questers, two important announcements!

One, Red Red Wine has moved forward one hour from 8:00 PDT to 7:00 PDT. (This decision was made when I realized that I'm getting too old to stay up late on school nights!) Apologies for any inconveniences to those who had planned to attend already. Inconveniences include but are not limited to: signing up for the quest again! When an event is moved on the calendar, all the names get wiped. Please sign up again so I can estimate who is coming. That said, I did write all your names down before I moved the event, foreseeing this consequence.

Secondly, after a lot of questions and requests and an unexpectedly high level of interest in the Red Red Wine quest, I've come to the conclusion that I have to be more specific about level requirements and priorities for this quest. Here is what I've decided, after some thought. I've tried to be as inclusive and fair as possible, and I hope you will agree.

1. First priority for this quest will be given to questers bringing a character within the level requirements I set out, which are 7-16, AND signing up on the calendar.

2. Second priority for this quest will be given to questers who want to bring a character lower than level 7 and who sign up. Characters lower than level 7 come strictly at their own risk, knowing that encounters were potentially balanced for higher levels and the quest might be dangerous. Also, I ask that you let me know in advance that you will be bringing a lower level character in some way. PMs, IRC or however else you want to arrange this is fine.

3. Questers wanting to bring characters higher than level 16 MUST talk to me in advance, and will only be included in the first RP portion of the quest. I will let you know when we're moving into the quest proper, and at that point will give any XP owing and send you on your merry way. It is strictly BYOE--Bring Your Own Excuse. (Note: I don't do this to be unfair or because I don't love the higher levels, but merely because of combat balance issues for this quest. Please rest assured you higher levels will have lots of opportunities on future quests.)

4. Questers who forget to sign up will be included based on availability and luck of the dice. The party limit for this quest is 10 players, so I'm not overwhelmed. There will be some flexibility in party size for the RP portion at the beginning of the quest, though.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit, and again, sorry for any inconvenience! See you Tuesday.

~Carillon

Carillon

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:30:09 am »
Hi questers,

A quick thanks to everyone who came out to the quest tonight. I appreciated your patience as you worked with me, and hope you had fun. If you have questions, comments, or IC follow-up, my PM box is always open.

The conclusion of the quest will be running next week, during roughly the same timeslot. Please see the calendar entry: Red Red Wine: The Dregs. Priority for this event will be to attendees of the previous session first, and other sign ups meeting the level requirements second.

Hope to see many of you there!

~Carillon

Kenderfriend

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:42 am »
Hi there!

Wanted to come to the 'Red Red Wine' quest, but I got really confused about the time. Looked up the time on the world time clock, and waited for awhile at the time it told me, but I didn't see that it was actually on a whole different day for me! :o

Hoping maybe I can still come to the next one...

Thanks. :)

Carillon

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:28 am »
Hi Kenderfriend,

I'm sorry you missed the quest. Yes, timezones are very confusing, especially when they cross date lines or go between days! I like the world time clock in part because it tells you both the day and the time.

You are welcome to sign up to the next one and come and meet up with us, but please be aware that the players who attended the first session will have priority to attend the quest, as they're already involved in the series. (Makes sense, right?)

Anyway, hope to see you there!
~Carillon

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 01:17:33 pm »
Quote from: Carillon
(Or, alternatively, if you want to tell me what a fantastic GM I am! *grins* Flattery will get you everywhere!)

~Carillon
Looks like you're psychic, dear Phoenix. The whole of IRC is raving about how fantastic the quest (and the one running it) was!

<3

merlin34baseball

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 01:25:54 pm »
I would just like to say that Chaynce had a nice time... was interesting with the three Xennies and Earl there... I was wondering if we'd ever get out of the bar ;-)

lonnarin

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 01:53:46 pm »
Aye! Earl had a blast going all ninja-commando style witht he mexican standoff in the winery.  Poor Big Tam's going to have nightmares of Chaynce's sword.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 01:56:09 pm »
I thought that was the best part, but I might be biased.  Just hope everyone had fun

Lord Dark

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 06:04:33 pm »
I say this is one of my favorite quests so far, it didn't feel too rush and the pace was nice. I enjoyed the fact that the quest didn't rest so heavily on only one or two people but everyone in the group helped on adding drama. ;) I'm looking forward to the continual and other quests later on! Thanks alot Phoenix!

Carillon

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:32 am »
Hi again questers,

It seems we are not quite done with our wine-related shenanigans, so the (hopefully) very final chapter of this little series will be running next week on November 4th. Please see the calendar entry for details. This quest is not closed, but newcomers must PM me in advance so we can discuss why your character would be stumbling across the group at this point.

Also, as promised, a discussion thread has been created for your convenience. I highly recommend that both groups A and B (but especially the second group!) use this thread to post what their characters learned during this session so you can all plan your approach for the conclusion.

As always, my PM box is open if you have questions, concerns, feedback, or you want to fill me in on your super secret plans for next week so I have a heads-up on them.

Have a great week!
~Carillon

lonnarin

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 04:28:08 am »
Sorry I couldn't make it tonight.  I pulled my back unloading some 8' tall entry doors this afternoon and passed out right after work in regeneration/hibernation mode.  Hopefully Earl will make it for the 3rd installment.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 01:28:06 pm »
Wait, say what!? Oh, no, I got the day wrong... @.@ Argh...

Kenderfriend

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 01:31:31 pm »
Quote from: Stephen_Zuckerman
Wait, say what!? Oh, no, I got the day wrong... @.@ Argh...

:( I feel for ya. I got the TIME wrong this time. Thought it was three in the afternoon, checked it later and it was three in the morning! Gah, I hate timezone differences...

merlin34baseball

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 05:09:35 pm »
Steven / Lonn... you missed a good one... the Xeenies were ready to sell Chaynce down the river... and we went ninja style sneaking about Lonn... Earl would have loved it. That and the... selling Chaynce to the guard...

Dorganath

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:19:25 am »
No no...the Xeenites just would have loaned him down the river for a bit.  ;)