The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Pickpocketing.  (Read 447 times)

Thunder Pants

RE: Pickpocketing.
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 12:07:00 am »
*shrugs* Lue has gotten more then one free boat trip on quests due to them overcharging in Lue's eyes so she takes the money back after paying them, she's also stolen important items from NPCs before, there is pickpocketing, just not against other PCs, and quitehonestly, pickpocketing is implemented horribly in NWN and simply isn't viable for many persistent worlds

KageKeeper

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 01:21:00 am »
Thunder Pants - 6/21/2005  12:07 AM

*shrugs* Lue has gotten more then one free boat trip on quests due to them overcharging in Lue's eyes so she takes the money back after paying them, she's also stolen important items from NPCs before, there is pickpocketing, just not against other PCs, and quitehonestly, pickpocketing is implemented horribly in NWN and simply isn't viable for many persistent worlds

I thought pick pocketing NPC's was not allowed?

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 01:40:00 am »
Well... orignally the reason we stopped it against NPC's was if you pickpocket in a town and are caught, the entire faction will come after you.

So I think the bottom line is, we're not going to reimburse you death tokens, xp, items, money, etc for anything that occurs due to pickpocketing. So doing it, you risk a lot. Not to mention if a DM sees you and you're caught it could mean jail sentance, fines, alignment modification, etc.

And against another PC it is 100% not allowed.

It's easier for us to tell players just don't do it than to deal with the above. Which is why the rule is in place, and I don't believe there are any plans to change it. It would create too many problems, just to allow a few people to steal a few gold from NPC's.

99.95% of all NPC's won't have anything to pick pocket anyway. The primary use will be during DM'd quests. Remember that pick pocket can also be things like slight of hand, putting something into someone's pocket, exchanging 2 items, anything like that that involves manipulation of small objects and slight of hand.

Thunder Pants

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 01:54:00 am »
by NPC's i meant such as on a DM quest, and never using the actual skill, but through the use of the dice bag, NWN's useage of pickpoceting is flawed and the fact that you take a random item out of the targets backpack is retarded, no thief would ever attempt to steal anything without at least a slight inclination of what they were after

Wintersheart

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 02:14:00 am »
    Killizzal - 6/21/2005  8:42 AM

Dorganath - 6/21/2005  2:05 AM

By the way: A SHOUT TO GAME DM'S: WATCH FOR RP MORE IN HLINT. IT HAPPENS A LOT. IVE BEEN RPING FOR TWO DAYS FOR XP AND IVE GOTTEN NONE. HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO DISCOURAGE POWERLEVELING IF YOUR NOT THERE TO GOVE THE XP. THE ONLY ONE IVE GOTTEN XP FORM FOR RPING IS LENTHAR AND THAT WAS FOR JUST SOME LITTLE CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE I WASNT EVEN THINKING ABOUT.

If one of you DM's wants to make that a seperate thread, go ahead cuz ill talk about that to.

Sorry for any thing that may go against what you guys are saying but im ranting.

Kiliizzal

Interesting concept roleplaying for exp (as opposed to pure rp enjoyment) - how does this actually differentiate from hack'n'slash for exp?

;)  ;)

Magnulas

• View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 02:49:00 am »
      I once played on a RP server where pickpocket was alowed but if the thief was detected a script forced him to go to the PC and then a dialog started up. There the PC could chose if he wanted to beat the thief up, release him and take an iteam from the thief. I thought this was a good way to handel PP, the thiefs could not steal more then a couple of gold or an item that only took one room in the inventory.
      This didnt help the thief to earn much gold or steal anything valuble(maybe you should remove the take one item thing thought).
         I dont know how they did it because I dont know anything about scripting but it would be nice to see this in Layo. And if the thief get caught you could beat him up and he take 1-6 dmg. I have no idea how you should make this work if you ever wanted to put it in and of course it's work good now whit no PP so maybe it should just be much work for nothing.

*Steps back but fails his reflex save and fall down the stairs*

Dorganath

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 04:48:00 am »
      Killizzal - 6/21/2005  1:42 AM
      Precisely, That is my point. Put in an active gaurd system with bounties, etc... There should be a court system on the server and all that. In my opinion, there should be major governmant, religious, and rebelious sway in the server to make it a proper persistant world. The world we play in right now, on the PvP side, is utopian. You cant even get mad IC and insult them. I think dueling IC with proper RP is nesessary and warranted, because maybe there is a problem that is not to be solved with words.

In a way, this already exists.  One can RP the pickpocketing rule by knowing that they are being watched and the risk of being caught is very high.  There are instances of PvP but ONLY when properly justified and supervised by a GM....and then maybe.

Regarding the RP possibilities for the results of pickpocketing...yes, you have a point.  However, with a slightly calmer outlook, you might be able to work something like this out with a GM and one or more players (not Player Characters, but players) and set up something very interesting where these other players round up a posse of sorts to hunt you down and bring you to justice.

It wouldn't be the first time a character has been pursued for getting themselves into trouble.

Random, unsupervised pickpocketing is not allowed for as many or more good reasons as you list in support of it.

Killizzal - 6/21/2005  1:42 AM

By the way: A SHOUT TO GAME DM'S: WATCH FOR RP MORE IN HLINT. IT HAPPENS A LOT. IVE BEEN RPING FOR TWO DAYS FOR XP AND IVE GOTTEN NONE. HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO DISCOURAGE POWERLEVELING IF YOUR NOT THERE TO GOVE THE XP. THE ONLY ONE IVE GOTTEN XP FORM FOR RPING IS LENTHAR AND THAT WAS FOR JUST SOME LITTLE CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE I WASNT EVEN THINKING ABOUT.

If one of you DM's wants to make that a seperate thread, go ahead cuz ill talk about that to.

Sorry for any thing that may go against what you guys are saying but im ranting.

Kiliizzal

:o

Are you RPing for XP or RPing for enjoyment?  If the latter, then whether you get a reward or not shouldn't matter.  You've been here a short time and already have gotten XP from Leanthar for good RP.  You should feel happy about that rather than demanding we watch you closer.  And please....no shouting. :)

Nuzatch

• Followers of Aragen
        • Followers of Lucinda
        • View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 11:48:00 am »
      *Nods* What he said.

The reason xp isn't given out all the time for RP is because people in the past have come to expect the xp from RPing, and thus you get slammed with DM channel tells  "I've been RPing for a whole hour and I haven't got my xp yet".  And similar things like this.  Also, GMs are usually very busy, and they drop in on conversations and such when they can, but a lot of times they're running quests, helping players with issues, and all sorts of other things.

The RP is the most rewarding part of RPing ;)   Seriously, I've played on other servers, and the RP is just not there like it is here, so I'm happy just to log on and find people that I can do some quality RP with.  If you start expecting xp for RPing you're going to be sorely dissapointed.

Also as far as gaining xp goes, join quests.  I know that's kind of harsh to say, as some people don't have tons of time, or are on at the right times to do so, but quests are hands down the best way to gain xp.  So if you're really gunning for a level up, join up. hop on a quest.  We all like to level, I know that I'm looking forward to Scherzo being level 11 as some of his new spells open him up for ALL kinds of RP oppurtunities, but I'm just as happy to sit in town and RP with people.

I've got no comments on pickpocketing other than it's griefing plain and simple, law system or no, and would just cause problems.  Trust me when I say that all the rules we have are there because someone caused a need for them, heh.

Killizzal

• View Profile
        « Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 06:05:00 pm »
        Wanna try hardcore RP? Want DM's who will watch your everymove? Want to see RPing to the max and most realistic way? Join up with the swordcoast_001 Server. Any of you want details than PM. If your a great RPer and think you are the best and cant possibly improve your skills, Go there. :)

anything