The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Players Guide Update  (Read 56 times)

Scipio

• View Profile
    Players Guide Update
    « on: August 30, 2005, 11:00:00 pm »
    This was not mentioned in the class section of the guide and I think it should be. Namely that the Rogue, already a very weak PC, has his Use Magic skill neutered. A O level scroll has a DC check of 25, meaning you have to be mid level to even get a halfway decent chance at casting Cure Minor Wounds.

IDii

RE: Players Guide Update
    « Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:11:00 pm »
    Well it's a change in Hordes of the Underdark by Bioware.

Though not sure if it was something we had to turn on... still it's a Bioware thing.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 11:19:00 pm »
    Its the PnP rule.  Besides scrolls are one of the less usefull parts of UMD since they're so expensive per use.  I also assure you that rogue is not a weak class.  Maybe in early levels they are... but wizards are even weaker at low levels.

-TV

Edit: edited for typo

Scipio

• View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:48:00 pm »
      Thanks...figures it was bioware.

Yeah, high levels is great but I don't think a 40th level uber rogue build is in the works for this server...which is a good thing. I don't know. I shouldn't complain but I like Dex based fighters and DnD is biased against them from what I can tell. When is GURPS: Layonara coming out? :)

Diamondedge

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
      Talan Va'lash - 8/31/2005  12:19 AM

Its the PnP rule.  Besides scrolls are one of the less usefull parts of UMD since they're so expensive per use.  I also assure you that rogue is not a weak class.  Maybe in early levels they are... but wizards are even weaker at low levels.

-TV

Edit: edited for typo

Yep, but rogues don't rise in power exponentially as do wizards. They rise kind of... well, mid-levelly. Like a fighter, only doing more damage (sneak attacks), but with a lower AC, and far less HP.

Wizards on the other hand, start off barely able to stay alive. With patience and training, however, they end up being able to crush equal-level rogues with a thought.

So yes. Rogues do get tougher, but Wizards get toughest. :D

Diamondedge

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 11:38:00 am »
      Scipio - 8/31/2005  12:48 AM

Thanks...figures it was bioware.

Yeah, high levels is great but I don't think a 40th level uber rogue build is in the works for this server...which is a good thing. I don't know. I shouldn't complain but I like Dex based fighters and DnD is biased against them from what I can tell. When is GURPS: Layonara coming out? :)

Sorry for the double post, but...

The only thing that kills dex fighters in NWN is the parry skill's function to only Riposte a small amount of attacks.

If you build it right, you can have a dex fighter that is far more powerful than even a ranger ends up.

Of course, building it right isn't ever as fun as building something mediocre to near unplayable at best, and RPing your way to the top. How 'bout a friendly, Cha based fighter? For more fun, let's make 'em a dwarf or half-orc. :D

anything