The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Quests: closed?  (Read 34 times)

Chnmmr

• Followers of Katia
    • View Profile
Quests: closed?
« on: November 15, 2006, 03:05:40 pm »
Something I've noticed which bothers me somewhat.  I look through the quest list for something to join and everything is closed.  So I ask how does one join -any- quests at all when things are always closed, or for a very specific group of people only?  Are one time quests ever run that allow anyone to join?

LynnJuniper

Re: Quests: closed?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:08:09 pm »
I am sure not all the quests you are looking at are closed: Some have been going on for quite some time with little to no other people knowing. As such only the people who know about the event would be able to continue it

Other cases have to due with a session in which a party gets stuck in a place (such as Voltrex or Sigil) Where random People couldn't so easily find them. It would be pretty hard nay impossible to find a reason or way for your character to show up there at the specific time of quest.

pejsaboy

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:27:06 pm »
    I've been noticing this lately as well. Gilli is getting to the point where he needs to be joining some GM quests to [hopefully] bring in some larger chunks of XP that are VERY tough for him to pick up from day to day activities. Since most quests are basically closed to new people due to circumstances like LynnJuniper has mentioned, how does everyone else get involved without having to wait until a new quest starts? I've even noticed that a good portion of the Player led events on the calendar are basically 'if you know about it, you'll be there, if not you won't' type things.

Tanman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 04:05:23 pm »
    @pejsaboy LynnJuniper is right. Sometimes there are quests that are a single sessions. Sometimes not. The trick is to come in early to the "first" session of a quest. That will assure that you have a placing there, instead of thinking thagt the next time you could have an opportunity to attend.

Two DMs that I know this are: Dezza and Mixafix. They do very good single session quests. Look out for these ones.

Rowana

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 04:30:47 pm »
    I'd also make a suggestion that if there is a quest series that you have RP interst in, you might PM the presiding GM and get the scoop on when it will open again, let them know your interested and run from there. We're not meanies, promise!

~row

Tanman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 04:45:04 pm »
    That is true.
    If only I can get away from the evils of time zones....
    Also, sometimes GMs will pop on occassion and do spontaneous quests or events. One that comes to mind is glittering dusts appearing on my character when i entered Hlint centre. Aye Rowana? :D

Rowana

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 10:28:17 pm »
    spontaneous quests? No idea what your talking about..... *looks shifty*

~row

Weeblie

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:46:25 pm »
    Quest series tend to have their time of closeness, but they are usually open a little now and then too. The trick is to catch one of those sessions (after that, you will be able to join the closed ones too!). As being suggested by Rowana, some closed session quests allow new people to join if they just PM the DM with a valid reason (in character reason, mind you, not the "I need XP" one). Or, you could of course try for a single session quest.

If we disregard the CDQs (those are naturally not open quests), there seems to be a fifty/fifty separation of open and closed quests at what's left of this month. I wouldn't call that "everything is closed" as that would be equally valid as "everything as open". :P

anything