The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Rangers  (Read 1578 times)

Kenderfriend

Rangers
« on: January 23, 2010, 09:15:54 am »
Okay, I've been wanting to ask for a while if my character Keppli could join the Wolfswood Ranger Corps but I've been too shy to think about asking how I would go about doing so. ;)

I was hoping to catch one of the existing members in-game and talk/Rp with them about it though I think time-zones might be an issue because I never see any in-game.

I'm more than willing to go for an interview sort of thing/CDQ/whatever, just wondering how it works.

Thanks again,
-R/Keppli

Lord of the Forest

Re: Rangers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 09:21:44 am »
Hey there,

as far as I know there are three players with the Wolfswood Ranger Corps. Enzo, Rodlin and Dorena. Rodlin and Dorena both joined them by a CDQ. I think it required lvl 17. At least the Town Criers once stated you needed to be a lvl 17 ranger quite some time ago.

I am not sure how it works these days, but back then you had to take a CDQ to join them. I am sure either twidget or I can be of assistance if you have any questions and want to ask about the Corps IG.
As far as I know Rod is now Commander of the Woods so he probably is your best bet.

I hope this helps :)

Kenderfriend

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 09:32:09 am »
Quote from: Lord of the Forest
Hey there,

as far as I know there are three players with the Wolfswood Ranger Corps. Enzo, Rodlin and Dorena. Rodlin and Dorena both joined them by a CDQ. I think it required lvl 17. At least the Town Criers once stated you needed to be a lvl 17 ranger quite some time ago.

I am not sure how it works these days, but back then you had to take a CDQ to join them. I am sure either twidget or I can be of assistance if you have any questions and want to ask about the Corps IG.
As far as I know Rod is now Commander of the Woods so he probably is your best bet.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks first of all for the quick and helpful reply! :)

If levels really are an issue then I'll just wait a while longer first before applying for a Cdq (she's a lvl 16 tracker at the moment) if thats alright. I really dont mind if it takes a while, I've been wanting to join for a long time now anyway and luckily I have patience unlike my halfling :) the wait will probably be worth it.

Unless one of the other players hops by and says otherwise then I'll stick with the Cdq theory of joining :D

Thanks for the help again!

Guardian 452

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:33 am »
Enzo joined by CDQ as well.

It looks like I need to change Enzos' title...  Rodlin took over the corps while Enzo was off raising a family?...  lol

G-452

Warchild214

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »
hmmm..interesting.   Something Shadowleaf might look into down the road...

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:29:15 pm »
Quote from: Guardian 452
Enzo joined by CDQ as well.

It looks like I need to change Enzos' title...  Rodlin took over the corps while Enzo was off raising a family?...  lol

G-452

I'm sure Ed will chime in on this, but since we have been told a few times that the character lives doesn't end the moment you exit the server. I'd Bet Enzo still did his duty even if you were not playing at the time?

Guardian 452

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »
Well I certanly dont expect to just show up and take away anything Rodlin or anyone else has truly earned in my absence. That isnt fair to anyone. And I can't honestly sit here and tell you im back for good cause who knows how things will go... I do know im having fun again, and to me that is the most important thing of all. :)

I will wait to hear what is to be done before I RP anything more as to what Enzos' title etc with the Corps.

G-452

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 04:30:10 pm »
Nah but who says there can't be many commander or captain?

Lord Dark

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »
Wolf packs are headed by one alpha wolf, that would contradict the "many commanders". But good luck Kenderfriend. : )

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »
I agree, for packs. but this is more of a small army like troops. Doesn't fall well under the pack description. Plus I don't remember the wolfswood ranger being Folianites only?

Acacea

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 07:58:01 pm »
The title that was earned on Rodlin's WL was captain, and Enzo's presence was referred to during certain events. If he has since taken over that is for someone else to clarify.

However, just because someone didn't take over in your absence doesn't mean it would have been wrong to do so... it's been awhile and this is a player joinable organization ;) It's not right to limit the achievements of active players based on the inactivity of others. Tracking Enzo down and getting him to participate or give blessings in that kind of thing would be cool to though, because on the other hand I think the casual bumping of people without involvement or roleplay is cold :P

As far as I can recall that was not what occurred, though.

Guardian 452

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 02:38:59 am »
I definatly am not trying to take away anything any person here has earned. It was my own choice to stop playing... I didnt expect the world to stop when I left. Rodlin is the captain and it sounds like he certainly earned it if he completed a WL quest.

Maybe its time Enzo just retired from the corps? (as his father did... when he raised Enzo).

I just want to RP the situation correctly. Because it has in fact came up in game.

G-452

orth

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 03:13:19 am »
As far as I know and remember from Rodlin's WLDQ, Enzo still holds the title of Commander of the Wood, the second highest rank of the Wolfswood Corp.  High Protector being the highest.

Rodlin now serves as a Captain in the Wolfswood Corp. and leader of the Elite Rangers after taking over from the poisoned to death Captain Alithnae.

Dezza might be able to chime in on this or Ed, this is just me putting some pieces together as far as I can tell.

It'd be great to have a whole organization structure and history laid out of course, I don't think we do.

EdTheKet

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:00:45 am »
Quote from: orth
As far as I know and remember from Rodlin's WLDQ, Enzo still holds the title of Commander of the Wood, the second highest rank of the Wolfswood Corp.  High Protector being the highest.

Rodlin now serves as a Captain in the Wolfswood Corp. and leader of the Elite Rangers after taking over from the poisoned to death Captain Alithnae.

Dezza might be able to chime in on this or Ed, this is just me putting some pieces together as far as I can tell.
100% correct.

It'd be great to have a whole organization structure and history laid out of course, I don't think we do.
Of course, but you're right, we don't.

As for Kenderfriend's question, you need a CDQ to join. There are no level requirements for joining (but you'd need to meet certain requirements to request a CDQ in general).

Quote from: G-452
Maybe its time Enzo just retired from the corps?
Considering it is the year 1460 now, Enzo is a pretty old bugger! Retiring sounds reasonable (especially with the raising a family part ) and I'd have no problem with him having retired from active duty but still having the rank "Commander of the Wood, Retired" which is quite common for people who retire from active service.
He'd obviously still command a big amount of respect amongst the Corps.

Guardian 452

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 01:09:29 pm »
Thanks Ed.

So the level requirement has been dropped? I know when Enzo joined I was told by L it was lvl 17 to join (and a CDQ). I then told others who wanted to join back then the same thing... lvl 17 to join and must do a CDQ.

G-452

Lord of the Forest

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 02:30:11 pm »
Sorry for causing the confusion about Rodlin and Enzo with being Commander of the Woods. I got something wrong there *flushes*

And I am asking myself when the level requirement was dropped. Back when Dorena joined there still was one in place and even the town criers said in an occ note that one had to be level 17 to join. Just curious.

EdTheKet

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:00:05 pm »
Quote from: Lord of the Forest

And I am asking myself when the level requirement was dropped. Back when Dorena joined there still was one in place and even the town criers said in an occ note that one had to be level 17 to join. Just curious.

Because I see no reason to maintain a level 17 requirement to join. I'm not talking about gaining ranks (e.g Lieutenants, Captains, whatnot).

As for when it was dropped, that'd be on January 24, 2010 at 1PM my time.
Call it advancing insight.

Guardian 452

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 06:32:24 pm »
Ok well I want to say sorry for hijacking this thread but, I dont see a point in making a new one when everyone is already here jumping in on this one. :)

1. I know myself and Rodlin were given a Wolfswood Rangers Blade upon sucessfull completion of our CDQ to join the corps. I can't say if Dorena did or not. The sword is pretty good IMO (Enzo still uses his as his main weapon at level 26!) Even though it has what I think are some significant restrictions to use it. I really don't want to get into more details of the sword on the forums becuase I don't feel learning of the reward should sway anyones choice to, or not to ask for a CDQ.

My point is... I dont think a level 7 or even a low teen Ranger should even be considered for joining the corps thru a CDQ...... that isnt to say they couldnt come to those who have joined... Enzo, Rodlin, Dorena and others over time and be given... tasks both RP and more physical in nature to see if they are what the corps is looking for. This of course requires those who join the corps to be active and be willing to do these things for the others who show interest.
So I guess in a long winded and round about way.... I'm asking that some kind of level restriction be kept in place (yes I can see ED said he already lifted it).

2. I like the idea of Enzo retiring but holding some title with the corps. That is how Enzos' father Wellman was treated durring Enzos' CDQ to join up. So I think that is the right way to go with Enzo and where he is in his life right now.

3. Because he is retiring from the Corps. Will Enzo be required to turn in his Wolfswood Ranger Blade?

G-452

Acacea

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 09:32:01 pm »
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were butting in where you didn't belong anymore or anything of the sort. I only meant to clarify that his rank was captain and that Enzo still retained his own rank... but still that in a more active organization, some amount of overturn would probably be expected ;)

Given his current/last duties I don't know why he'd be required to turn anything in. He'd be retiring with honors and all.

Maybe if there are any active characters holding rank in the corps, they could be giving duties and training to those not yet meeting level reqs to join the company proper. Even if timezones differ they can be given assignments. It would help prepare them for eventual graduation from raw recruit types. It would also save on CDQ time, or CDQ time could be used as a complement to the assignments they are given by the PCs. Or something.

Guardian 452

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 11:09:11 pm »
No worries Acacea... I know I hijacked the thead... LOL  :)

I like the idea of tasks, asignments, etc for those who show interest... to hone them into what the corps wants.... or weed out the ones they don't. Even some tests as simple as showing off their attack skills on the training equipment at the HQ... like hitting the archery target "X" number of times in a row... or something.... :)  

It would be awesome to see enough player ran authority within the corps to make these and more ideas happen that's for sure.

G-452