The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Riddick  (Read 347 times)

miltonyorkcastle

Riddick
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:44:00 am »
Question: for those that are familiar with the character of Riddick (Pitch Black, Dark Fury, Chronicles of Riddick), what would you say his alignment is, if described in DnD terms?

I am torn, as I keep finding ways to justify a slew of different alignments.  so let me know what you think and why, and maybe I'll make up my mind.   ;)

cappyra

RE: Riddick
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 07:52:00 am »
"I'm gonna kill you with my tea cup"   I mean...  can't you hear Derrick saying that?

I would say. . .  

Chaotic Nuetral

Riddick...  Derrick...  Hmmmmmm  =P

NEXUS7

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:57:00 am »
I would say 100% Chaotic Nuetral

You could always just ask Vin as the second film was based on his DnD game :O)
I would have loved to see Dame Judy Dench playing with Vin in his traler as
is rumered to have happond

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 08:03:00 am »
interesting.  the first votes are for Chaotic Neutral.  This was my first guess as well.  my only problem with this, is that how often is he really chaotic?  I mean, Riddick acts with extreme purpose and prejudice.  He seldom does things on a whim or just because.

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 08:18:00 am »
I'd say his alignement changes as the tale unfolds. He starts out chaotic neutral, but moves towards lawful. I'm not saying he ends up being lawful, but its closer to that than chaotic.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 08:24:00 am »
That would place him at True Neutral, or very near it, going by what you say, Harlas, but then, how do you justify his almost absolute disregard for life other than his own?

cappyra

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 08:25:00 am »
- His actions are self serving which points to Chaotic Neutral

The movies just show a small portion of the character's existance...   comon you know he has probably killed a few people on a whim... or maybe randomly blown stuff up.

At the end of the second movie... (SPOILER!!!!)

When his character becaome ruler of the Necromongers... what do you suppose he did? =P

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 08:33:00 am »
heh, self serving does indeed point toward neutral, at least, if not evil.  but all we have to go off of are the movies, and I don't think I ever saw him kill without purpose.

And I think there's a high possibility he abandoned his new-found kinghood.  It just doesn't seem like his style.

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 08:36:00 am »
OK lets start with his background. It was military I think. ok for that part LG.

Then he got screwed (like so many of our [USA] combat Veterans, VeitNam comes to mind) and entered the prison system. Changing him to CG.

Was tortured & thrown away. (A lookup that you will never see the light of day) Shift to CG with some "Neutral to Evil" tendencies.

Enter "Pitch Black", actions were TN with "Chaotic" tendencies.

Now "Dark Fury & Chronicles of Riddick" permanet shift to CN. (You keep what you kill!) LOL :)

Zen

• Followers of Aeridin
    • Followers of Vorax
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 08:40:00 am »
miltonyorkcastle - 11/18/2005  10:33 AM

And I think there's a high possibility he abandoned his new-found kinghood.  It just doesn't seem like his style.

Well I tend to think that he would keep all the Technology and disband the Religon AFTER he did the "Half-Dead" thing to himself.

Just too much power in that move to pass up. :)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 08:47:00 am »
See, I don't think he gives a rat's...err... rear... about going after more power.  After Dark Fury, he chose to 'disappear.'  This does not lead me to think he was after a gain of power, but rather some semblance of peace.

ZeroVega

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 08:47:00 am »
Only seen the movie "Chronicles of Riddick" but here's my take.
  He doesn't care whether or not he dies (though he'd rather not). Most of the stuff he does is to protect err... Kira (that was her name right?). It seemed like he had purpose, that was to protect her and, well not die.
  I also agree that he didn't act on a whim (remember their little prison break scene when he recited his little plan to bust out?). However acting on a whim doesn't really mean much to chaotic.
  Is he Lawful? Well, I don't think so. If you notice he's running from a lot of people. Bounty hunters that want to put him in Prison (sounded like he'd been there before to). They were the law, however corrupt and wrong the laws were, he didn't seem lawful.
  Good? Maybe just a little. He cared for someone, and he did do a few good things, though I thought it was more because he either "felt like it" or "didn't care."
  Chaotic? Well, he was planned, but that to me just means controlled chaos. He's a killer, flat out. Just because he could formulate a plan for attack/escaping in a few seconds doesn't mean it's not still a chaotic act.
  Evil? He's got his dark side. But I don't think evil would really fit. I mean, he wasn't killing innocent people. Granted he didn't really try to help them all that much... but I still don't think he's Evil.
  Because of the reasons stated, I will also go with Chaotic Neutral, though just barely. I'd also say he could probably slip to True Neutral (True Neutral being nearly impossible to define) or CG (though just barely).

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 08:54:00 am »
ahhh, but Chaotic doesn't mean 'killer,'  nor does Lawful mean you follow any laws of the lands.  There are lots of 'lawful' criminals.  'lawful' means strict adherence to a code, whether established or not.  'chaotic' means you make up the code as you go.  hence why there can be lawful good paladins to neutral dieties.

Does Riddick follow a code?  or does he simply follow his whims? or does he follow no code, yet still act with purpose?

cappyra

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 08:59:00 am »
Hahahaha  By the shear fact he might do something good....  or what some would consider evil... depending on a situation... and what he might get out of it   Mwhahaha seems Chaotic to me  Mwhahahahaha

Zero...  You really should check out Pitch Black so that you can find out who Kira is. . .  Mwhahahaha

At the End of Chronicals I felt like...  I didn't know what he would do.  He could take over the Necromongers and do good or evil...

He could have just walked away and let them destroy each other...  or risk an even more powerful leader

Chaos baby!

ZeroVega

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 09:00:00 am »
I really don't think DnD alignments can describe sufficently the actions of a well built and complex character (movie, game, book, or other). Seems to me there could be a hundred arguments going in different directions and many of them valid, it really depends on the sense of reason behind it... and of course there will be a bias that goes with every opinion/theory, whether we're aware of it or not.
  Excellent point Milton, I still have to stick with my Chaotic Neutral theme, however if I absolutly had to pick another one I'd probably go for TN.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 09:08:00 am »
Exactly, Zero.  That's why I brought this up- to take a look at the complex within the confines of a DnD alignment.

And Derrick, yeah, the fact that we don't know what he's going to do with his new power can certainly be seen as chaotic.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 09:10:00 am »
oh, and yeah, ZV, watch Pitch Black.  It will give you a lot more insight into Riddick.  Dark Fury isn't bad either, but doesn't really offer much more in the way of his character than the other two.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
Haven't seen Dark Fury yet, chronologically, it's between Pitch Black and Chronicles, right? But is it a new movie, or was out before Chronicles?

And yeah, i'd say Chaotic Neutral is what classifies him best. Despite being accurate on his actions, the whole thing doesn't go as he plans, he just has to adapt quickly to most situations that he finds himself on, and chaos is what suits him best. :)

jjkolb

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
And don't forget The Pacifier.  Hmmm, wonder what his alignment was in that one...

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
right, Dark Fury came out just before the movie Chronicles of Riddick.  It's about an hour long cartoon that bridges the two movies.