The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Server Rules  (Read 88 times)

Nagash von Ritter

• Followers of Corath
    • View Profile
Server Rules
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:56:25 pm »
Just wondering why this server plays on normal and not hardcore? I thought it was a genuine DnD server....That is full normal rules.

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Server Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:03:28 pm »
It's an RP server, with players building complex characters in mind. Hard to build a complex character when your character dies before level nine.

Since this is a low-to-medium magic world, we don't have the nifty magic items that make us immune to death magic, or that raise our AC super-high, or... The list goes on.

The level requirements for items also serve to limit our survival abilities, as does the resting limit.

I think these things are all great, but playing on Hardcore rules would make it too tough. Were we able to do all the things we can in PnP, I'd gladly play Hardcore, but as I can't duck under a table, or pick up a rock, or sand, and throw it, or take a called shot to the carotid...

You get the idea.

ycleption

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:07:40 pm »
Also, it's not -really- normal difficulty, since area of effect spells can harm you or party members, and um... some other things that you would have to ask more knowledgeable people about....

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 02:41:06 pm »
If monsters could crit..... every PC would die quick and horrble deaths.... much like the deaths my weaponmasters have turned out over the years....

Like Stephen said, in PnP, you can do oh-so-much more, and you have more time to react to nasty situations. In this setting, the PC's would just get obliterated. Especially those who didn't make a "power" build.

jrizz

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:05:01 pm »
Also as you will find the monsters are quite tough on Layo. That little green thing might look like a goblin, but watch out ;)

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:06:43 pm »
Enemies can crit animal companions though, so watch out using familiars and such against things with axes.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 04:53:10 pm »
Also, as a small warning - don't depend on the perceived "difficulty" of the opponent.  "Easy" does not always mean easy.

minerva

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:09:07 pm »
*laughs*  My characters die such horrible deaths to "Easy" opponents...

anything