The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Servers *thumbs up*  (Read 172 times)

Guardian 452

Servers *thumbs up*
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:12:02 am »
I must say the servers sure are more stable than they used to be when I was here last. What is the reason(s) for that? I can't recall the servers ever making it as long they do these days with out a crash, or multiple crashes. lol.

Hats off to the team if this is thru your work on them or newer ones purchased etc.

G-452

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Chazzler, cbnicholson, Hellblazer

jadewillow

Re: Servers *thumbs up*
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 11:50:43 am »
The team has certainly done some things to make the environment more stable. However, also remember there are less people on these days. Back then it was common to see 30 - 40 people on west.

Dorganath

Re: Servers *thumbs up*
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:00:23 pm »
There's actually a variety of things that contribute to the overall stability of our game servers, which have improved steadily since the days you speak of, G.  

Improvements and patches from Bioware fixing many of their problems has helped a lot.  Understanding what was causing crashes in the past has also helped.  Things like disallowing the old seamless cross-server portaling (where you wouldn't have to connect and log in again), spreading out the time it takes to load housing furniture and other such things. Reduction in lag from various causes has also brought significant improvements

Some changes from Bioware have also allowed us to improve the quill system in such a way that was more "friendly" to the server in that we no longer needed to use an external utility to alter the data of items in-game.

Anyway, it's been a constant evolution over the years and primary credit really goes to orth for some of the more significant improvements in stability and identifying the points of contention that would lead to lag and crashes.

Having fewer people doesn't hurt either, but we have had similar stability with more people for quite some time.