The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Suggestions needed for gear  (Read 186 times)

Pen N Popper

Suggestions needed for gear
« on: January 18, 2006, 12:52:51 pm »
Here's my dilemma:  I have no idea what to (attempt to) outfit my PC with in terms of gear.  Briefly, he's a half-giant fighter that uses a maul... and the occassional throwing axe.  Currently lvl 6, almost 7.  I expect that my leveling will be slow as I "stop to smell the (RP) roses" too often.  So, what does he save up for and attempt to get at the various levels?  I'm not a skilled NWN combat player, so all I can think of is to up my AC and STR.  Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks!

miltonyorkcastle

Re: Suggestions needed for gear
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:02:38 pm »
you got it.  up your AC and strength.  Since you dig RP, here's what I suggest:  Go to the Leilon Arms when it's open and suggest (in your half-giant way) to Derrick or any of the other crafter vendors there that you are looking for better gear.  Then, in game, they'll be able to tell you and/or offer you some equipment.  It also makes sense that your character might notice, say, a dwarf, who has shiny armor and a glowing axe and think to ask where he got them....  just some thoughts on how to go about it without actually giving away CNR items or just telling you what to get.  I play a lot of fighter types, so I could tell you exactly what to get, but hey, it's more fun this way.

NEXUS7

RE: Suggestions needed for gear
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:38:12 pm »
I run a Half Giant PC called Spugly Fuglet (our PCs have met)

With Half Gaint the best stuff to save up for is

any Migic on your mull so it looks cool
Flame, ice, or lecky all looks cool
The half gaint skin is non custmisebell so its one of the few things you can change to you PC

Spugly has and ICE grate Sword very nice that also gives of white light
looks cool when he steps up for a fight.

Also as you can carry a lot take spear stuff that other PCs mite need
The times spug has handed out, canttens, food, Bolts, Axes etc
Other plalyers like that and there PC are very aprietive of the big guy with the stuff

vgn

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 05:25:11 pm »
Duur lik fi-er chopur
Duur lik ma-jik mak Duur STRONG
Duur lik big big blokur
Duur lik sum ma-jik
Meebee Ree-us mak ma-jik

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:59:55 pm »
Something you should be aware of if you plan to use a maul:

It is a custom weapon and the feats weapon focus, weapon specialization, and improved critical will not work properly for the custom weapon base types due to the way bioware implemented weapons and the feats in the 2DA.

Any of the feats that you take for a specific weapon won't work properly.

Its very unfortunate, but there's nothing we can do short of rewriting a large amount of the game to fix it.

These feats are very important to fighters so, you're in a tough spot, whether the maul is important enough to your rp to continue using it and not take these feats or whether to switch to a different weapon where you could take the feats.

I don't think anyone (certainly not me) is going to blame you if you choose to switch to a different weapon for this reason.

There may be a long shafted warhammer you can choose, or a club (which is the archetypal giant weapon but it rarely gets used because there are more powerful weapons available though using a club would be a smaller sacrifice to rp than staying with the maul I think.) And there are some club customizations that are absolutely perfect for the giantish idiom (huge raw pieces of wood shod in metal, or with big spikes etc.)  Though you might want to go with a heavy flail if that wouldn't be too far from your vision of the character to take advantage of being able to use a large weapon in one hand (its a shame there are no greatclubs or large, non-edged weapons as it seems more appropriated for a half giant to be weilding a large weapon.)

-TV

Pen N Popper

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:34:51 am »

Ooops... I figured since the maul was listed on the choice of to weapon focus in that it would work.

I had originally planned on using a club but figured that would put me at too great a disadvantage damage wise.  The maul I chose simply because it was most club-like. :-)

Perhaps I could request a custom item maul with the boost in stats to match my feats?  Otherwise I guess I'll go to a club.

cappyra

Re: Suggestions needed for gear
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 11:24:40 am »
The Leilon Arms is open tonight!  Plenny o merchants sellin wares.  Not ta mention the best food an drink in the land.