The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Crossed Blades -- OOC discussion  (Read 241 times)

Pen N Popper

The Crossed Blades -- OOC discussion
« on: February 04, 2008, 02:46:27 pm »
Let's keep the other thread IC and discuss here.

First, if I had my way everyone would fight in clothing with non-magical weapons and shields.  That would be the true test of swordsmanship.  That's a bit unrealistic, though, since no one carries non-magical stuff around.  As a compromise I suggested that only permanent enchantments be allowed.

I'd like to say that anything that is of duration should not be used.  No rage, no divine might, bard song, etc.  Opening that door just lets everything in.

There are no rules against shields.

Now, let me add a caveat:  The two dueling parties can come to their own agreement.  If a high level wants to let a lower level have some advantage, so be it.  Please keep any concessions to level IC and honest.

Several have also asked what the schedule is.  That's the beauty of this, there is no schedule.  You just look at the names above you and when you run across one of them, challenge them to a duel.  Or arrange it for the arena, or whatever.  I will schedule a player event once a week depending on interest.  Others are welcome to do so as well.

----

Crikey!  Who would have thought there'd be so much fighting on the first day!

Just to avoid any confusion, here's how to update your ranking. If you duel and beat a higher ranked opponent, you are eligible to move up one level. Post in the IC thread with your name, your opponents name, and whether or not a level was gained. (eg. Joey beats Bob for a rank increase)  It is the victors job to post the results.  (eg.  Bob beats Joey, no rank increase)

Remember, beating someone of higher rank doesn't jump you ahead of them, it only moves you up one position. (If it's your first fight you move out of the 0-0 category to the bottom of the list on your first win.)

Do not PM me with information, it gets too confusing.  Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: miltonyorkcastle, Odranoela

Spike

Re: The Crossed Blades -- OOC discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 02:50:16 pm »
I presume we post victorys and defeats in the wild surge inn post?

Pen N Popper

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 02:51:05 pm »
Knockdown is not allowed; the rules are updated for that.

Skywatcher

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:33:37 pm »
So it seems that to make things easy to execute you could basically say the two comabtants should rest and equip their gear, select each other as enemy and click to attack.  The rest would be up to the dice.  This of course gives the advantage to the weapon master with all of the weapon related automatic feats but in such a venue that just makes sense I guess.

s0ulz

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »
Everything regarding fighting styles should be allowed I think. Feats that don't have a timer. Like Power Attack, Expertise, Disarm and such. That at least allows the different techniques of fighters to shine and possibly help.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »
s0ulz has it right.

You can switch back and forth expertise, parry, etc.  Remember this is an IC thing, not just an OOC uber ladder.  My PC, for example, dual wields and uses parry mode.  Make it entertaining and I'm sure your opponent will enjoy it more, win or lose.

A good start to this, though!  Thanks to the duelists so far.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 04:21:08 pm »
As Far as I'm concerned, if the idea is to see how good two people are at fighting, then that should be it.  None of the divine feats or magics allowed except for what the character has equipped.

Pen N Popper

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:46:37 pm »
Crikey!  Who would have thought there'd be so much fighting on the first day!

Just to avoid any confusion, here's how to update your ranking.  If you duel and beat a higher ranked opponent, you are eligible to move up one level.  Post in the IC thread with your name, your opponents name, and whether a level was gained.  (eg.  Joey beats Bob for a rank increase)  It is the victors job to post the results.  (eg.  Bob beats Joey, no rank increase)

Remember, beating someone of higher rank doesn't jump you ahead of them, it only moves you up one position.  (If it's your first fight you move out of the 0-0 category to the bottom of the list on your first win.)

Do not PM me with information, it gets too confusing.  Good luck!