The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The Ear of Elven  (Read 281 times)

SteveJW

The Ear of Elven
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:49:00 pm »
Not sure if this is where to post this...but...I just created my character (approved of course) and he was also approved for the Ear of Elven. Without being rude...who do I see about getting one? I don't want to use the DM channel unless I really have to. The character's name is Corsan Ament.

Steve

Leanthar

RE: The Ear of Elven
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:52:00 pm »
In this case you need to use the dm channel.  When you log in send a message to us about the ear.  When questioned point the dm to the your approval.

DanMacNWN

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 07:40:00 am »
Ear of Elven? What's that?

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 08:19:00 am »
An item used to allow your character to speak in Elven. There are Ears for other languages aswell.

It works as a translator, you simply have to type what you wish to say in common, and it translates to Elven or other language.

DanMacNWN

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 08:45:00 am »
ah ... gotcha ... sounds interesting. I was weondering how a couple of elves were typing the way they were ... I thought it was jibberish :)

How do you know if you have a right to know elvish or any other language? I ask because in a church that is dominant elven like Aeridin or the Wild Elf one ... if you're not evlen, wouldn't it be assumed you know how to speak it? Would elven be the common langauge of certain religions?

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 08:53:00 am »
Players may be granted Elven Ears if they are taught by someone ingame, which may take some time, or they may be granted one, according to their character submission, regarding to aspects where they were taught the language or not. Elves are granted one by default, at character creation. Half-elves understand Elven, but are unable to speak, unless they were raised by elves and taught the language.

Also, a character can only know a number of languages based on their Intelligence score. For instance, a character with an Intelligence of 12 is allowed to know 2 languages (not sure if Common counts towards this number of languages). The maximum of languages known is 6, regardless of a char's, Intelligence, though.

The Ear for Elven is an item that can be found in your inventory, should it be granted from approval.

Other language ears include Drow, Dwarven, Gnomish, Infernal, etc, etc...

DanMacNWN

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 08:57:00 am »
So as an Aasimar, I know Celestial then or does this have to be RPed out as well?

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 09:01:00 am »
It depends on how your character was raised i suppose, since Aasimars carry celestial blood, but it may be from many many generations ago, so it's dependant on whether you were taught the language, or studied it.

I hope i'm not confusing you, as this is similar to Real Life... to know a language, you have to learn it. :)

While many odd things are possible on Layonara, speaking alanguage you don't know is rare, i guess. ^_^

DanMacNWN

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
Nope ... you're not confusing me in the least ... just never saw much in the write up of the game that went into depth regarding the langauges and what you would know IC ... I might have altered my bio a bit to have included languages with IC explanations. Everything you're giving me is great info ... thanks :)

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 09:07:00 am »
Always glad to help, hehe.

Also, if you haven't referred to your character knowing that language, you can do that by creating/using your current Character Development thread. It's all RP from here.

You can also have people teaching you the language, as long as they are willing to, and you meet the requirements for that. :)

Germaine Lorn

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 06:27:00 pm »
    I have a question about learning languages.

I have been asking elves about elven words so that I could try to understand some of what they are saying when talking in elvish.  Would I have to RP an interest until a DM thought I had earned the ear.  Or could I ask that an elven friend speak in elvish (using the ear), then tell me the same word in english? (without the ear).  I would then have the elvish for that word, would this work?

I have not tried this ingame as I wasn't sure if it would be seen as cheating even if it is possible.

Simon

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 06:33:00 pm »
    I believe that is fine... it's like having a friend of yours from another country with a different language and you ask him how to say something in his language for fun, and translate it. ;)

KageKeeper

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 06:45:00 pm »
    Germaine Lorn - 6/22/2005  6:27 PM

I have a question about learning languages.

I have been asking elves about elven words so that I could try to understand some of what they are saying when talking in elvish.  Would I have to RP an interest until a DM thought I had earned the ear.  Or could I ask that an elven friend speak in elvish (using the ear), then tell me the same word in english? (without the ear).  I would then have the elvish for that word, would this work?

I have not tried this ingame as I wasn't sure if it would be seen as cheating even if it is possible.

Simon

Luna is doing that in reverse for one of her friends. He does not speak common and she is starting to teach him in the same fashion.

Good RP too. :)

Germaine Lorn

• View Profile
      « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 07:58:00 pm »
      cool - if it's possible in the game I would rather learn this way (the hard way?)

thanks for the replies
       Simon

Germaine Lorn

• View Profile
        « Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
        I have been playing a character Mary Blood axe for a while and she has spent a considerable abount of time around some elven companions.  She is an intelligent girl and has spent time listening to and asking elves and dwarves for words and phrases in both elvish and dwarvish.

I wanted to ask how long would be a reasonable amount of time for me to do this before I could get an ear in game?  Would I require other players to post acknowledging my attempts to learn?  Are there other things I should do that I am unaware of?

Anirillnla

Mary Blood Axe

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 11:02:00 am »
        During a certain quest series a couple months ago (that went on for a long time) I acctually got to the point where I could translate the drow language that the translator uses on the fly mentally.

I decided that there was something wrong with being able to do that... lol

Didn't get the ear though...