The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: The six-month curse of NWN  (Read 472 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

The six-month curse of NWN
« on: October 15, 2006, 12:12:35 pm »
In the time I've been playing NWN (the past thirtteen months or so), I've encountered an interesting e-legend...

THE SIX MONTH CURSE OF NEVERWINTER NIGHTS! *Dum dum DUM!*

Essentially, this forces your average player, for one reason or another, to reinstall about every six months. Whether it's a major bug caused by a faulty hak, an attempt to prune down on the space NWN takes up by removing portraits, a deleted hak you associated with the OC, or any other issue, it happens.

I recalled this a week or so ago when Doc was having troubles with NWN. I realised that I was due, and, what do you know, when I tried to uninstall the PRC (a hakpack that worked quite well, only it wasn't what I really wanted), the haks remained associated with the OC, and I had to reinstall the whole game.

I've just finished putting Gold back on, and I'm about to pop in HotU. The Layo haks and tlk I moved to a backup folder.

Any other stories regarding the six month curse?

EDIT: Oh, yes, and one other thing that'll help you fellows out who hate scrounging around for their blasted CD-keys. It's in a file in your NWN folder... All three of them. The file is unimaginatively named "nwnCDkey.ini." You can only paste segments at a time, but it makes things much easier.

IDii

Re: The six-month curse of NWN
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 12:17:54 pm »
Haven't had to reinstall it a single time in the past five years or so. (played since release)

So... maybe I'm just good at avoiding curses!

EdTheKet

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:48:17 pm »
Haven't done a reinstall since Summer 2004.

Blackguy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 12:53:19 pm »
3+ years, and not a single reinstall

Lord of the Forest

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 01:07:45 pm »
Never experienced any problems with NWN *shrugs*

crazedgoblin

RE: The six-month curse of NWN
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 01:11:22 pm »
had to renistall a few times before but that was due to me removing vital windows files by accident and haveing to reinstall windows and everything else!

jrizz

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 02:17:44 pm »
never had to on the mac and only three times in five years on the pc (1 for a new pc, 1 for a new hard drive, and 1 because I messed up some files)

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 02:44:14 pm »
I reinstalled a few months back after I learned my NWN hak folder and over ride  was 30 gigs .

laurabunny

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 03:16:24 pm »
    I had to reinstall when I got a new computer... does that count?

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 03:20:09 pm »
    Most all of the problems I've heard of that "require" you to reinstall nwn can be prevented, and most fixed after the fact, by properly managing your custom content.

Sometimes reinstalling is quicker than finding the exact issue and fixing it heh.

I have a problem on my mac install with my portrait directory, I'm not sure if I have one bad file in there or if I've just exceeded the maximum size it can load during character creation (I have hundreds of megs of portraits that I've collected in there over the years.) Every time I go to create a character on my mac, it crashes on going to the portrait choosing thing. I've just circumvented this by creating any characters elsewhere and moving them to my mac (don't even need this step on server vault servers.)  I'm not sure how to find the guilty portraits (possibly bad ones its crashing on) or if slimming down my directory would help... and I don't want to lose the ones I have there, so I'm waiting until the layo portrait pack gets updated to fix it hehe ;)

Edit: oh yeah, so its been about two years on my mac before I ran into this issue. beating the 6 month average then. Perhaps 6 months is the amount of time it takes the average user to bugger something up ;P

Faldred

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 07:12:05 pm »
    Been playing for a year on my initial install

muaddib

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 07:21:24 pm »
    I got about a two-month curse on mine :)

darkstorme

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 08:30:36 pm »
    Short of when I was doing a system wipe, I've never had to reinstall NWN.  (Oh, wait, I did reinstall when I bought Plat... but I don't think that counts.)

Variable

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 10:18:47 pm »
    I've never reinstalled it on my PCs and its been running nicely for about 19 months now. My NWN folder total is only around 13 gbs on my 80 gb hard drive so I'm still good.

Wraithdur

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 02:03:51 am »
    i had to re-install about 5 times in the first week.
    haven't had to since then

HooD!uM

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 02:11:14 am »
    re-install....sheesh i still have the old Pools of radiance on my HD..no to mention mostly every other Ad&d game thats came out. *thanks god for christmas hard drive specials*

Acacea

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 02:20:48 am »
    No problems for well over a year, except recently which ended up as a combination of actual computer tweakiness and a custom content issue. Oops.

As for the cdkey file... that helps if you have the forethought to look ahead of time, but I found that generally when I needed it, it was after it cheerfully deleted itself. Just having them registered with my BioWare account was simpler.

Lilswanwillow

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 01:45:47 pm »
    ya know, yup... had to reinstall, but it was about 8 months...

stupid virus