The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Travelling Druids  (Read 144 times)

Stephen_Zuckerman

Travelling Druids
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:51:59 pm »
I just read through the rules on Druids in Layonara a few times, and I have a question. (Rules can be found here: http://layonaraonline.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20606&posts=2&start=1 )

What happens with Druids who travel and wander constantly? It says that each Druid answers to a certain higher Druid, and that they essentially take orders based on thier location. Does the wandering Druid simply shift to the local Druid of higher rank?

I'd love to hear some opinion from character GMs, current Druids (Rhiz, if you're reading this, I'd love to hear from you in particular), and L himself if this catches his eye.

Why? I'm thinking of playing a Druid/Shifter.

Talan Va'lash

Re: Travelling Druids
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 01:21:05 am »
I'm not all that well versed in druid lore so I'm just gonna post this and let someone more informed add to it if needed.

http://nwn.layonara.com/Druid

Navigate to the other druid info pages using the quicklinks in the upper and lower right hand corners of the page. (inside the box that contains the text, not up in hte site navigation stuff.)

Dorganath

RE: Travelling Druids
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 05:30:54 am »
Well my personal opinion is that druids who travel should be respectful of the heirarchy of the Druid Network and act accordingly when within the territory overseen by a particular High Druid...and of course the Hierophant's territory is everywhere.
  When he has time, maybe Rhizome will comment, as I know he's been thinking about some better definitions for the Druid Network as a whole.

lonnarin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 09:10:58 am »
Dorganath - 6/6/2006  5:30 AM  and of course the Hierophant's territory is everywhere. 
 I'm sure the nobles and Lords really appreciate weird esoteric cult-hippies calling their officially titled lands "Heirophant Territory".  Suprised there hasn't been a cival war yet over the technicalities of druidic territory and proper legal ownership, particularly when druids start telling lords how to run their logging and hunting. ;)

KageKeeper

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:03:45 pm »
lonnarin - 6/6/2006  9:10 AM  
Dorganath - 6/6/2006  5:30 AM  and of course the Hierophant's territory is everywhere.
 I'm sure the nobles and Lords really appreciate weird esoteric cult-hippies calling their officially titled lands "Heirophant Territory".  Suprised there hasn't been a cival war yet over the technicalities of druidic territory and proper legal ownership, particularly when druids start telling lords how to run their logging and hunting. ;)
 Pff... nobles, lords and kings and queens come and go. Countries rise and fall, but Nature is always there. ;)

Rhizome

• Druids
    • Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:48:05 pm »
I should start by sayingthat what Dorganath stated is true. The current dynamics of the Druid organization are being reconsidered. Things may change dramatically or just minorly. What happens will depend on feedback and participation. Stay tuned for more information on this. Whatever transpires I hope that it will make playing your new druid character more fun.
  Your question is both important and revealing. At some level, almost all PC Druids in Layonara are of the nomadic sort. I say this because it's not likely that you'll find a player who wants to undertake the sorts of in-game activities that would realistically correspond with the daily life of a grove druid. Sure, that may entail defending a particular territory from invasion and such. But you're Layo life would be pretty strained with repetition if all you did was patrol one particular region and RP'd planting, grafting, animal tending, etc mostly on your own. I'm saying these things to point out the relevance and importance of your question. Not like you needed to hear all that *smiles*.
  In terms of territories and authority, my vision is very similar to what you ask here:

Does the wandering Druid simply shift to the local Druid of higher rank?
 My answer would be yes. But keep in mind that this Druidic ranking and structure is flexible. It has to be to meet the practical needs of each druid, any given territory, and in particular the demands of being a Layonara druid specifically. A travelling druid wouldn't really fall under the authority of a druid assigned to a particular natural area simply because she or he wanders into that territory. The wandering druid would have relative autonomy. It's when that wanderer wants to take action that would affect that territory in any way that her or his actions would fall under the perview of the assigned druid. Wander through... ...fine. Wander in and want to make changes... ...better collaborate with the druid in charge for that. That makes the local druid a resource person as well as an authority figure. And I think that's a good way to view it.
  Those are my thoughts for now. As I said, there should be more soon. And, feel free to ask follow up questions. I'll respond as swiftly as I can.
  Thanks,
  Rhizome

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Travelling Druids
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:41:19 pm »
Another note... I understand that currently, ALL PC Druids are part of the official heirarchy of Druids, ultimately under Rhizome. Are there no free-ranging Druids who simply have the understanding and connection with nature, but not a status in the organization? I would imagine the answer would likely be no, or at least, very few, as local druids would likely seek out a druid whose abilities budded and blossomed on thier own.

Also, what would be construed as "actions that would fall under the perview of the assigned druid"? I would assume that cultivating a new plant in the area would, of course, but what about simply gathering what berries and nuts the local foliage can spare?

anything