The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Voice Chat  (Read 219 times)

Erik K

Voice Chat
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:35:28 pm »
a while back, some friends of mine, told me about a program that allowed them to talk in game to select people, while playing, instead of the typing that we do.  Is that something we could use on layo?

Lalaith Va'lash

Re: Voice Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:39:26 pm »
I've heard of some from Layo running Skype to talk while playing. But I gather it is mostly OOC chatter.

I think it would be very weird/uncomfortable to try to roleplay your characters through verbal communication. Imagine all the guys that play females. *grins*

darkstorme

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
The program you're likely referring to is Ventrilo.  This has been suggested before, but decided against for several reasons.

First, if we officially ran a Ventrilo server, it would be yet another server that has to be paid for each month.  (Speaking of which, it is (actually is, this time) Donate Your Level Weekend!)

Second, it's harder to feel the immersion when you hear a guy's voice playing a girl, or a 17-year old playing a wizened wizard, etc.

Finally, GMs watch and reward roleplay bonuses based on what they can see in-game, through the client.  There's no easy way to do this on Ventrilo, and no way to log it, either.

So while you're welcome to set up your own Ventrilo server, or use Skype, GTalk or whatever VoIP program you might choose, bear in mind the above points - and again, it won't be officially supported.

Lord of the Forest

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:20:55 pm »
To be honest, I rather see *emote* than anyone talking about it as it would be harder to differ what a char says and what the emotion is. Just in my opionion ^^ I know there are ways as well ;)