The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Web-Client (Mibbit) IRC Crash?  (Read 269 times)

miltonyorkcastle

Web-Client (Mibbit) IRC Crash?
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:28:32 am »
For some reason the client (Layonara Mibbit IRC Widget) won't load up. I get a connection error (see attached screenshot). I tend to want to blame internet explorer, but I figured I'd ask to see what's up.

ycleption

Re: Web-Client (Mibbit) IRC Crash?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:30:57 am »
I was unable to connect using it this morning either, for what its worth.

Alatriel

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:32:24 am »
Doesn't seem to be working for me either...

Chazzler

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:16:33 pm »
Seems Mibbit.com - Easy and fast Webchat has changed at least it's looks, and perhaps an update to the remote interface of layonara client needs to made?

Masterjack

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:42:33 pm »
I've been on for 10 hours with out any problems. I use ChatZilla launched from Firefox.

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:10:15 pm »
What port do you connect through, MJ? The advantage of the Mibbit client was that it ran inside the browser and used the internet ports. IRC ports (such as 6667, that Layo uses) are blocked here. And my limited administrative rights don't allow me to change that, heh.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:08 pm »
Milty!

Go to IRC.layonara.com

Click IRC Web Client

Yer in  :)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 02:33:40 pm »
Heh, I've actually tried that route before. It doesn't work either. See the attached screenshot. Pretty sure it's because port 6667 is blocked at the router-side/server-side of the network here.

If someone who is on IRC wants to poke orth or OneSt8, they could explain this whole port thing better than I can.

Masterjack

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 04:35:12 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
What port do you connect through, MJ? The advantage of the Mibbit client was that it ran inside the browser and used the internet ports. IRC ports (such as 6667, that Layo uses) are blocked here. And my limited administrative rights don't allow me to change that, heh.

I have no idea what port I connect with. I just connected without selecting a port. I assume it is what ever my default one is.

OneST8

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:40:47 pm »
After some initial testing and an attempt or two at setting up the mibbit client I've concluded that it's going to take more time than I have available to find out what the problem is exactly and how to fix. No matter what I've tried so far with Mibbit it still times out for me.

What did work for me with Mibbit reliably though was using their site directly. Simply went to their chat site and filled in the necessary details (being sure to click the "Server" link and setting it to "irc.layonara.com") and was logged in to #nwn just fine. See the attached image to this reply. Nothing particularly special.

I've gone and replaced the link on the main irc.layonara.com page with a link to the Mibbit chat site but the old mibbit.html page remains available.

As for the port blocking. Being that most malware these days hinges upon remote command interfaces, like using a public irc chat service to issue commands, Anti-Virus and network shaping services can be a problem. Sometimes this is on the ISP level (port 6667 outbound and sometimes 6668 inbound) which is fairly rare or more commonly found on the user's machine itself via firewalls (usually from anti-virus products) and other such "protective" software.

There really isn't much one can do about ISP level blocking short of using a proxy service, which is essentially what mibbit is doing, but traditional proxy services work too. It's probably best to contact the ISP involved and see what can be done.

For client problems like firewalls and anti-virus software, you'll have to refer to your software's particulars on how to "whitelist" (or "unblock" or whatever) port 6667 appropriately.

If for whatever reason you can't connect via the stand-alone clients (like X-Chat or mIRC), the custom Layonara web-based client, or via the mibbit site directly... I'm not sure what else I can do to help.

I hope all that answered everyone's questions or at least helped to some degree.

OneST8

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:42:42 pm »
I just realized after re-reading my reply... I didn't really answer the direct question of "what port is for IRC?"...

:)

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:55:15 am »
Yup, I got their chat site to work. Thanks OneSt8!