The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: What brought you towards DnD?  (Read 855 times)

HooD!uM

What brought you towards DnD?
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:22:45 pm »
my first experiance in anything DnD would have been the fighting fantasy books by steve jackson and ian livingstone when i was 10...well before that was the choose your own adventure books, but FF was one of the first who brought out a combat system with the books. Steve jackson and ian livingstone if you may know are the founders of Games workshop.

I remember going through the first few titles of FF, loving every moment but i got to book ten, House of hell...and it scared my pants off..didnt attempt to read it for a couple months after the first time..and from this day i never completed it. so many deaths and dead ends to be comfortable with..but only recently wizard book have returned with the re publishing of these great books, with new adventures to be had, and i for one, will be collecting them for memorys sake, and for my future kids!!!!

Oh....and to finally get past that blasted House of hell *shakes fists*

here a link to there website if anyone is interested, or even remembers these books:  Gamebooks

Hellblazer

Re: What brought you towards DnD?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:35:04 pm »
With my bro when I was thirteen. That's where I created Rain In'Darsus. We used to do a few sessions with some of his friends, later on with his wife when he got married. Then the actual Nintendo game came out, me her and him were on it deciding each turn what our persona's would be doing.  Kept going with friends a few times through high school, but always in the casual way

Shiokara

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:12:19 pm »
My first DnD experience was Eye of the Beholder on the SNES. From there my brother and I rented some of the rulebooks and monster manuals from our local library, and made a weird DnD Lego hybrid game. Good times.

scifibarbie

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »
I thought it was something else...:\\ O.o

Pseudonym

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:17:19 am »
Quote from: Hoodie
What brought you towards DnD?

Lack of sporting ability.

Polak76

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 02:32:38 am »
Like you hoodie, I started reading those fighting fantasy books then when I was about 7-8 years old, my sister bought me the DnD Red Boxed set for my birthday.  God I wish I could get my hands on that set again.  After that it was all over.
My first PC game was Pools of Radiance. I also bought Ultima IV on sega (still one of my all time favorite worlds and games), then like the others had eye of the beholder..etc
Now I'm addicted to this bloody world called layonara ;).

Cheers
Polak

HooD!uM

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:00:26 am »
yea! i got the gold collection of the SSI games..that includes all the game related to pools of radiance, savage frontier, and dragonlace series, i also had war of the lance, eye of the beholder, hillsfar, and daggerfalls to name a few, also had the ultima collection and went straight onto ultima online when it first hit our markets (horrid dreams of my 56k modem spazzin out at the high volume of the pacific server!!) there were a few more good titles like ishtar and another one that seems i cannot remember the name of, it eludes me :( ...but on day i bought NWN and layo was the first place i found, and yes i did try a few, but layo was already deep in depth, and that in 04'.

//oh p.s. i also realized i have the silver edition that has all the d&d ones mentioned above plus Menzoberranzan. didnt realize hah!

Warchild214

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:13 am »
I started liking fantasy type stuff from as far back as I can rememeber.  One of my friend's brother was a big D&D nut, DM and took me and a few others on our first D&D quest.  I was awazed at how much my mind was trying to create a picture in my head of what was going on...and I was hooked from there.

I think the first D&D vid game I played was...on Commodore 64  - I believe it was called something like the "Zork Series".  all text based turns no graphics.

I was also a HUGE video arcade kid too, and when "Dragons Lair" came out...well lets just say that many a quarter went down that slot...

Guardian 452

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:36 am »
late DnD bloomer I didnt get involved with it all untill Baulders Gate II. and then NwN .

:)

LynnJuniper

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 08:55:34 am »
NWN was my first, and in that sense, Layonara. The first quest I've ever done was with IceDD =P. I remember I rolled something, and she said "No Dice"  I assumed I wasn't supposed to be rolling...she just meant it didn't work heh.

Anyway, from there I moved out of "original word" D&D, and into Forgotten Realms.

SiliconMagician

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 04:11:15 pm »
I got my first red D&D boxed set from my aunt over 20 years ago when I was 10 years old. She didn't even realize what it was at first when she bought it cause for years afterward she'd come over to the house to visit my mom and me and my buddies would be down in the basement doing our thing and she was always tellin my mom that she heard that stuff was the devil afterward and had she known she'd have never bought it for me. HAHA

Anayway I was hard core PnP until the end of high school when the group broke up and moved on althought I did play on MUD's after that until well into my 20's before those finally began dying out as well.

I owned all the D&D products ever created for the computer as well, up until about 2002 then I gave it all up and started an adult life.

It wasn't until I discovered layonara that I actually went and bought the diamond edition of NWN and got back into it. Glad I did to.

TSM

superdoofus

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »
What pseudo said.  *notice the "L" drawn in Permanent marker on my face* And my dad said one time he was going to play DnD with his friends.  I asked if I could come but he said no.  After that though he said maybe we could play a game together.  I had played NWN before that though so the basic thing wasn't new to me.  Just the whole dice rolling thing.

superdoofus

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 04:24:18 pm »
Quote from: Pseudonym
Lack of sporting ability.

I hear ya.  Heh heh.

OneST8

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 06:00:00 pm »
Like a few of you, the FF books was my first introduction to the general game-scape with my brother when we were pretty darn young, I think I was like 7-ish. During grade 7 my best friend at the time and I were introduced to the honourable J.R.R. Tolkien by our teacher who was reading the Hobbit to the class over the course of a month or two. Suffice it to say... my friend and I had finished the Hobbit and the entire LoTR set a week after the teacher read the first chapter of the Hobbit to the class.

I was hooked. We began studying everything about Middle Earth. Heck by the end of grade 7 we both could write fluently in a variant of Elvish (the letters were elven runes [Tengwar] but the words were English).

Yeah... "Geek" became a badge of pride for me. ;)

In the summer between grades 7 and 8 my friend and I discovered these crazy weird books at a garage sale while walking to his house one day. The entire 1st edition set of D&D manuals, guides and a binder of original modules. Bought the whole lot for like $20. I think there were around 6 or 7 hardcover books and at least that many modules in total. Spent the rest of the summer exploring the world of D&D.

Near the start of the school year ( gr.8 ), my friend and I petitioned the school allow us to start a lunch-recess adventure club. By late November he and I were granted approval by the Principal as well as the Priest (get this, it was a strict Catholic school). We had to sugar coat a story to get approval by the Priest which certainly wasn't easy... lots of "In no way is this a D&D club! We're writing the stories and rules ourselves! We promise not to use any D&D materials!"... The club ran for the months of December through February... we had over 30 people staying in with us playing D&D... Then the Priest caught us with the D&D Monster Manual... *laughs* The look on his face as he bellowed "BLASPHEMY!!!!" hahahaha He labelled us sinners and banned the club but we didn't get suspended or anything serious.

The die-hard players from the club continued to meet after school and on weekends so we could continue the campaigns. It was so much fun. Majority of the time my friend and I were taking turns DMing or we'd "Tag Team DM" a campaign together for a group of 8-10 players. It was awesome. So much fun! Ahhh the good 'ol days.

HooD!uM

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:07:02 am »
OneST8, that sounds great :), and yeah i miss the old days where my school friends would PnP, there were even books out there where two ppl would read and on certain pages you had to call it out and if your opposition is on a certain number you would duel, that was a blast. I also used to write messages to friends and vice versa in Dwarven runes, and got real good at it we didnt need the books we were using to crack it anymore :) *wipes a tear* the good Ol days alright!

But im still gettin my new FF books on shelf....

Nehetsrev

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:11 pm »
Well, since we're all reminescing...

Not sure what exactly 'led' me to start playing D&D or RPG's in general, other than the first session of D&D I played in itself.  I'd always been a sci-fi/fantasy fan while growing up.  So, when one of my brother's new friends in the new neighborhood we'd just moved to came over to get my brother to try this 'new to us' game he called Dungeons & Dragons and explained that it was like a story from a book where we could decide what the main characters did or didn't do, I was happy to give it a go.

I loved character creation from the first, and then was hooked further when we actually started to play the module "The Lost City".  My brother's friend was a great DM, but it would soon be discovered that my Dad was an Awesome DM, when he borrowed some of the books from my brother's friend and started writing his own modules to torture, err... entertain us with.

A few months later my Dad bought the Star Frontiers: Alpha Dawn boxed set for my brother for his birthday.  However, my brother ended up losing interest in RPG's within about 6 months to a year after that, so I begged and pleaded with him to give me the Star Frontiers boxed set so at least it wouldn't sit around collecting dust.  Later, my Dad bought me the old D&D Basic rules boxed set (in the red box) too. Anyway, my brother did end up giving me his Star Frontiers set and so with my Dad GMing for my friends and I, the adventures continued for a good 6-7 years till we all graduated high-school and moved on in life to other places around the world and such.

Also, when we weren't RPing on the weekends, we were all playing the great computer RPG classics like the Pool of Radiance series, Bard's Tale, Might & Magic, Legacy of the Ancients, Ultima, and Alternate Reality: The Dungeon (and many others whose titles I can't quite remember).  Or I'd be sequestered away in my own room drawing multitudes of maps for adventures and worlds of my own devising that mostly went un-played, sadly.

jrizz

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:29:04 pm »
1. Reading LOTR, of course (still read it once a year).
2. Chainmail rules & OD&D 1975 or 1976 (I think). Followed quickly by a brief stint with Basic in 1977 or 1978 (whenever it first came out). Then right on to AD&D in 1978 or 1979 (I think).

Pseudonym

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:35 am »
*points and laughs at the old man*

jrizz

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 02:50:17 am »
Hey!!! :)

deagle

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 11:34:16 am »
yikes...can i remember that far back...on the verge of being called old like some others. LOL
 It was elementary school...booklets by Gygax (ie. Blackmoor...think I might still have that set some where).
 I always like the world of Greyhawke and when they issues that boxed set years down teh road I had to own it, besides I also had to pick up the series he wrote" Gord the Rogue"
 I also have the forgotten realms, dragonlance, ravenloft....egads I just realized teh fortune I have spent on the all of it...but the enjoyment over the years has been worth it.
 Now...its all sitting in crates in storage.