The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Where oh where have the half-dwarves gone?  (Read 318 times)

Dalbarhedi

• View Profile
    Where oh where have the half-dwarves gone?
    « on: June 20, 2005, 08:15:00 pm »
    So, whats up with all the half-races there are, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Half-Giants, Half-Dragons, Half-Ogres, etc, but no Half-Dwarves in D&D?

And, since Kobolds are of Draconic decent, and there are such things as Half-Dragons, why no Half-Kobolds? I think that would be amusing to play.

Dorganath

RE: Where oh where have the half-dwarves gone?
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 08:29:00 pm »
    Argh!  No self-respetin' dwarf wud ever, EVER taint 'is bloodlines by mixin' wit' the uther races. *spits*

Oi ougtta cleave yer skull fer even suggestin' such a thing!!!!  Git ye gone!

// Wait a sec....I don't even play a dwarf.... :o

FraterAudcal

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 08:59:00 pm »
      //Hahaha, that reminds me so much of Bruenor Wildbeard. As it should be!

Dwarves don't interbreed with other races. If you were a human female in Layonara, would you want to breed with a short, chubby, bearded hairy man with a big axe?

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
        • View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 09:05:00 pm »
      They aren't genetically compatable.

That's why there aren't half dwarves.

Dalbarhedi

• View Profile
        « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 09:14:00 pm »
        Ah, but some of the Half-Templates can be applied to any humanoid race, so it would stand to reason that there could be Half-Dragon dwarves, or Half-Celestial or Abyssal dwarves. Why couldnt those breed together, and eventually form some sort of Half-Dwarf race?

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
          • View Profile
        « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 09:22:00 pm »
        Half elf is always bred with human.

Half planar templates aren't really races so much as a variation in the natural blood line of a race.

So while you could have half planar and half dwarf, you could not have half human and half dwarf. So a half dwarf isn't possible, but a half planar dwarf would be.

It may not make sense, but something that is considered planar is rarely considered a member of the original race that spawned the child, be it dwarf, halfling, or whatever. They are instead basically a sperate race all together.

Very different things.

Trip1888

• Followers of Lucinda
          • View Profile
        « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 09:26:00 pm »
        *scratches head and looks confused*
        I think I don't want to know what you just said.

FlameStrike

• Followers of Toran
          • View Profile
        « Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 03:38:00 am »
        Aren't Azers similar to dwarves? They are planar and all, so i just thought of that.

I wonder how a half-azer, half-dwarf would look like. ^_^

Dalbarhedi

• View Profile
          « Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 04:23:00 am »
          GhostWhoWalks - 6/20/2005  11:22 PM

Half elf is always bred with human.

Actually, in the Elven Handbook it describes a number of possibilities for half-elfs not descended from human stock. There are even some examples in a few of the Faerun handbooks from 3.0, if I'm not mistaken.

GhostWhoWalks

• Followers of Dorand
            • View Profile
          « Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 04:41:00 am »
          Actually, in the Elven Handbook it describes a number of possibilities for half-elfs not descended from human stock. There are even some examples in a few of the Faerun handbooks from 3.0, if I'm not mistaken.

The different possibilities mentioned in the FR Campaign setting are from the different elvish stocks. If there are other publications after that, I wouldn't doubt it, but they would be exceptions and not the rule. I haven't read the 2nd edition elvish handbook in a long time... but I don't recall there being other varities of half elves there. And I've read through the most recent 3.5 edition of Races of the Wild, which is the newest elvish handbook and didn't see it mentioned there either.

The only world that ever really had half dwarves was Athas, which was the Dark Sun campaign setting. The Half dwarves there (also known as a mul) were pretty much unique to the published D&D worlds.

On Layonara the dwarves are genetically unable to create life with another race. They are physically compatable, but not genetically.

There's no reason you couldn't play a race brought up by dwarves though.

I play a human that was brought up by dwarves, he's more dwarf than human. But he looks like a human and has the natural life span of a human.

Dalbarhedi

• View Profile
            « Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 07:07:00 am »
            Ah, no, I'm not talking about for Layo in specific, just wondering what people thought about Half-Dwarves in general. Thanks for the name. . .I knew there was one, but couldnt remember. I never owned anything with Dark Sun, but knew quite a bit about it from various sources since I was really into psionics.

And no, in the 2nd ed Elves handbook there are not actually stats given out for variant half-elves, there is a section that discusses it briefly.

Edit: Also, your right about there not being any half-elf variants in 3.5. At least, there arent any that I can think of. But I seem to recall one in one of the Forgotten Realms 3.0 books. I'll have to look through my mound of manuals and see if I can find it.

Rayenoir

• Followers of Rofirein
              • Followers of Xeen
              • View Profile
            « Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
            Heh.  For a little while, back in the day, I thought that halflings were the offspring of humans and dwarves.  I figured it was like the half-elf, just with a different weird name.

Could probably get a lot of bard tales out of that idea right there...

RouterBlade

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
            Dwarves don' interbreed wit 'umans 'r any otter races!
            we keep tae our shert 'airy stubby 'n thick lasses!
            now git ye gone!
            ((i love my dwarf....lol

anything