The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Whirling Dervishes  (Read 174 times)

Crunch

Whirling Dervishes
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:29:00 pm »
The Whirling Dervishes near Fort Miratrix are doing negative energy damage to archers every time they hit them with arrows.  Is this a bug?  It isn't an effect that I have ever seen before.

Thanks,

Esi

Stephen_Zuckerman

Re: Whirling Dervishes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 12:31:52 pm »
Hey, if their arrows are fletched with stirge feathers...

twidget658

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:36:21 pm »
Stephen_Zuckerman - 6/9/2006  10:31 AM

Hey, if their arrows are fletched with stirge feathers...

I am shooting the dervishes AND taking negative energy damage from them (at 6 shots a round, that is a lot of damage). They do not shoot arrows nor are the arrows I use have stirge feathers.

Chongo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:25:33 pm »
Certain OnHit aspects to a skin can cause this.  One of my favorites is putting OnHit... I'm forgetting which poison it is, but it stuns you like the evards animation with that 'oh no I'm in trouble' sound effect.  PfA blocks it... but it sure is a fun lesson for SD's.

But yeah, OnHits applied to a skin or armor will get ya even if you're shooting from the other end of the screen.

Crunch

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 01:37:15 pm »
I don't think this is a skin because the fighters who were beating on the things with swords didn't seem to take this damage.  Also, when attacking creatures with acid sheath or death armor, using arrows doesn't seem to cause any damage.

Chongo

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:36:06 pm »
Acid sheath and death armor effects are very separate from what you're talking about I think.

First thing to look for is any spell animation associated with it, or a message that they've cast a spell, are surrounded by an aura, things like this.  Aura's that can do this sort of thing typically go up right as they notice you.  Next, look to see when exactly people are taking damage and what they're doing.  Next, look for any saving throw challenge messages as you hit them.  If there are saving throws going, this would explain why you're fighters aren't taking damage or don't seem to be with every hit (i.e. it could be a fort challenge OnHit or else take negative energy damage).

I'm still guessing this is an OnHit poison.  OnHits are placed on skin or armor properties for effects like you're describing (or placed on weapons for the opposite direction effect).  They aren't spells.  If you're super curious, go into your toolset and create a row of monsters.  Put OnHit Poison on their skin and put a different poison on each.  There are a lot of different types.  I'm guessing you'll find one that does negative energy damage with a save associated which would explain the inconsistent damage.  It may be another OnHit property... this one just sounds funky and therefore I figure it's one of the poisons.

I don't really know of anything else that can be set up like you're describing.  Dunno.

Reventage

• Followers of Ilsare
    • Followers of Rofirein
    • View Profile
RE: Whirling Dervishes
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 04:53:23 pm »
Just consider it a feature. The Dervishes are air elementals. Perhaps they can reach trough the air and drain your strength even when their main body isn't touching you. The Dervishes do this, you can protect yourself against it and it is not something that unbalances them to any degree. It's unlikely that the situation will change.

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 05:37:09 pm »
The real thing that makes this look like a bug and hasn't been mentioned yet is that twidget had Undeath's Eternal Foe cast on him at the time which gives immunity to negative energy and he was still taking neg energy damage from the dervishes.  I don't think that should be the case even if it is an on hit feature.