The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Wireless issues - any ideas?  (Read 590 times)

Makashi

Wireless issues - any ideas?
« on: June 29, 2010, 04:58:26 pm »
Currently in the middle of trying to set up a new computer, all was going perfectly until I actually moved it into my room where it can't be plugged physically into the network, therefore has to rely on wireless.

This hasn't been an issue in the past, but for some reason I'm getting ping times of well over 1000ms to the router, thats just over the network, not over the internet. - It's virtually the same setup as before.

Same network card in use, no extra network traffic....I'm stuck for ideas besides trying a different network card.

Once plugged it has a physical connection, no problems at all.

Anyone able to give me a few ideas to try? or even better a known solution? :)

Falonthas

Re: Wireless issues - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:33:45 pm »
virtually the same

find out what is different and that may be your cause

and make sure you have the best driver for your wireless card

jadewillow

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:33:09 pm »
Have you changed any of the router configs? DNS resolution etc?

Are other computers connected through that router? Are they experiencing problems?

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:01:55 pm »
Do you have a lot of wiring in the walls of that room? Even when supposedly shielded the electrical wires can actually produce an em field that is enough to slow down or completely kill a wifi signal. If I were you, I'd take my drill pierce a little hole in the wall and pass a cable so you can hook up your computer directly to your router/modem.

Makashi

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 01:07:34 am »
Trust me, I hate wirless, but a hole in the wall is pointless - I usually have a physical connection my other router anyway, but won't until issues with my old ISP have been resolved (this has nothing to do with the problem at this point).

Back to trying to solve the wireless issue....

No other computer on the wireless has any problems, laptop running off same connection, experiencing low ping from the same room, as soon as this computer is put back into action, again, no problems at all.

Only from the new computer, using most of the same hardware, software, network settings, router config is has not been changed, DNS has not changed, computer picking up the correct IP address, other computers can browse to it, but receiving data is slow.

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 01:28:56 am »
Strange, maybe it's a hardware problem. have you tried switching to an other card?

Makashi

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:54:57 am »
Thats my only idea left, going to try it today, if i can find a network card lying around.

Chazzler

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 04:10:31 am »
Faulty hardware or driver malfunction is what comes to my mind at this point after reading this post *shrugs*

EventHorizon

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 04:18:16 am »
It sounds more to me it is a configuration issue rather than a NIC issue. Possibly default gateway not configured on your new machine.
Is it a protected WLAN?
If so, have you made certain that your host/machine is allowed access?

Hellblazer

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:08:08 am »
Quote from: Makashi
Thats my only idea left, going to try it today, if i can find a network card lying around.

Try one that is already in one of your other computers that is working well. This way you know it's not faulty.