The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: You're HOW old?!  (Read 1157 times)

Alatriel

Re: You're HOW old?!
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 04:30:20 pm »
Daniella is 23

Alatriel is... 125ish?

Link092

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 10:42:55 am »
Ido is now about 31, 32...

Sion is about 116, 117...

can't quite remember  the others..... need to look it up.

Andrios

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
Aeronn is 72 years old.  He has quite a few years left in him.

Eight-Bit

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 09:39:49 am »
Matilda is 85. Egads.

Kenderfriend

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 06:39:23 am »
Well if I've worked it out right... Keppli should be about... 34. :p

Also, if Zoogmuch started playing Rocky the day he was approved... he would be about...  67... :)

cbnicholson

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 09:12:11 am »
Daniel *retired* 64
Benjamin is a spry 54, but feeling it.
Chestnut is 48, practically still in his tweens for halfling!
"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face." 

Oscar Wilde

deagle

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 02:45:21 am »
wow...since I have deleted my orignial characters...lets see here..

If this is correct then my oldest characters still running are...

Twixel = 128 to 131 ...starting age was somewhere between 65-68

Starr Sapphire = 101 ....starting age was 48

Thief Of Navarre

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: January 12, 2009, 05:39:23 pm »
    How does time work on Layonara then! Is it the same as standerd NWN time?

ycleption

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 05:45:37 pm »
    Quote from: Thief Of Navarre
    How does time work on Layonara then! Is it the same as standerd NWN time?

See here. Useful page, the time converter linked at the bottom comes in handy quite often, so I keep it bookmarked.

lonnarin

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2009, 07:48:59 pm »
    17 game years have passed since the first post.

Earl is now 86.  Farros is 99.  Egads, time flies when you're a drunkard!  With Earl I'll have him winding down, maybe even request an honorable permadeath via CDQ soon.  Farros, meh... Tiefers have some strange genetics.  I may have him die sometime between NWN and the MMORPG.  then again, I might request for him to be some villain in the game, lol!  At 20th lvl, it's time to start planning his WLCDQ.

Bjorn is 204.  That's hardly old for a dwarf.  Also 20th level.  Have to figure out what direction I want to take him in.  Right now he seems to be shifting LG and on some mission to feed the world tasty pies.

Grovel is 47.  Eeek!  He's going to have to start watching himself.

Fenthon is just 27.  He's doing better than I am now.

Annie is 30 in brownie years.  Still pretty young.

Gunther

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »
    Gunther would be, well....90 years old.  Started at 24 and should now be doddering about whacking critters with an adamantium walker.

SteveMaurer

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 01:51:37 pm »
    Although Ed hasn't weighed in on it, I have always considered binding oneself to a Bindstone, somehow stops the physical deterioration that comes from aging.   Seriously, these things keep you from dying by every other cause, I don't see why age wouldn't be included.

Gulnyr

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2009, 04:32:30 pm »
    Quote from: SteveMaurer
    Although Ed hasn't weighed in on it...

Actually, he has:
    Quote from: EdTheKet
    Of course it would be nice (or at least I think it would be nice :) ), if age gave rise to a deterioration of your stats, but we can't do that. However, as time goes by your character does age. As there's nothing we can do really to physically affect your char, it remains as he was created at age 18. However, your character has probably been healed (by potions, magic, whatever) so often, that it may have slowed it down or something. And there's of course the bindstone thing, which I can easily argue for that it would hasten the ageing process :) so I'm more in favor of the healing magic/potion thing.

That is from a longer post in this thread, with all sorts of nice chatter about aging.

lonnarin

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2009, 04:55:37 pm »
    Besides, isn't Moraken going on several centuries now?  And Bloodstone was several thousand years old.  If we start enforcing age limits on characters, NPCs would have to follow.  And that would mean a new handbook revision every 2 years.  I think captain Garent must have been pushing 200 by the time he had his daughter take over, and she's probably over 60 currently. :P

Beyond just being difficult to code, the time dilation get's pretty significant.  Say you have a 4-part quest which runs every 2 weeks.  In the quest, it is usually time-bubbled, which means that the event is pretty much taking the few days it takes to actually run, and you're not really supposed to RP having been in that quest until it is completely over.  You could have a quest series that takes 2-3 months to complete in real-time, which would according to the game-clock take more than a year.  Still, these events could take just a few days of RPable game time.

Then when you take a half-hour talking to the NPC in-game, you see that several gametime hours pass by.  Spells that would normally last half a day poof int he time it takes for an old man to tell you about his grandchildren.  This doesn't mean of course that the NPC is speaking at a rate of one word per every 5 minutes in Treebeard treantspeak, but that the perceptual half-hour of conversation takes precedence.  

So yeah, there's a lot of time-dilation going on that the set game-time doesn't cover.  This would also include running from town to town or sailing from continent to continent in less than a game hour when it would take 3 months at least for a 1600s Spanish Galleon to sail from Europe to America. and full nights rests that take less than 10 seconds after pressing the R-button.

Gulnyr

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 06:49:36 pm »
    Quote from: lonnarin
    This would also include running from town to town or sailing from continent to continent in less than a game hour when it would take 3 months at least for a 1600s Spanish Galleon to sail from Europe to America. and full nights rests that take less than 10 seconds after pressing the R-button.

No argument with what was said, just a little off-topic comment:

Sailing is faster than we think sometimes.  Not in-game instantaneous, of course, but not necessarily ongoing months, either.  In 1493, Columbus's fleet set sail from the Canary Islands on October 13 and spotted Dominica in the Caribbean on November 3.  That's about 3000 miles in three weeks, which (at least to me for whatever reason) seems pretty fast.  If we imagine that Layonara's winds are similar to Earth's, sailing from Lor to Vehl at a speed similar to Columbus's fleet would take about three and a half weeks (it's roughly 3500 miles between the two).

twidget658

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2009, 09:48:58 pm »
    To continue on the off-topic-ness...

That is only about 6-7 knots on the average. That's not fast at all, its just that sailing is a 24 hours a day.

lonnarin

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 10:42:52 pm »
    As the one who started the thread, I fully endorse all off-topicness! :D

Random quasi-related thoughts lead to more thoughts and elaboration is the bread and butter of invention and innovation.

anything