The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Giving in to peer pressure...  (Read 432 times)

ycleption

Giving in to peer pressure...
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:01:49 pm »
So, I normally like to let my words speak for themselves, and to maintain anonymity but several people have told me I should post something here. So I am doing so. :-) I also wanted to test out my new avatar and signature, and to propose a small contest, namely, the first person to PM we with the source of both quotes gets a cookie. And, no, I don't mean a virtual cookie, I mean a real, chocolate cookie. (no purchase necessary, contest void where prohibited. If you live outside the US, I may not be able to send you a cookie, unless I can get a favor from the guy I know who works for UPS).

So. About me:
My name is Ariel. I've been playing Layo for about three months, some of you know Drexia, and a few of you may have met Pallena.
I live in the American midwest, I currently work in education, in an ironically mindless job. I drink a lot of coffee. I enjoy photography, read a lot of books, enjoy soccer, speak spanish enough to answer most calls at work... yeah, and stuff.

Gaming background: I'm natively a LARPer, even was AST of a game for a while, and have played about 1/2 of short campaign of PnP D&D (a player didn't show up, so I played her character, and everyone said I did a better job RPing the character, so I started playing that game). I had been avoiding on-line games for a long time, mostly because I didn't realize that servers actually existed where people didn't talk about "newb pwnage" every other sentence. Layonara was a distinct surprise. My only regret is that Layo has been cutting into my reading time, which is mildly upsetting. ;-)

(remember: chocolate cookie!)

Pseudonym

Re: Giving in to peer pressure...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 09:24:06 pm »
I think the first quote was from Nick (Mallory's boyfriend in Family Ties)?

If memory serves me right, the second quote was uttered by no less a personage than Stephen Baldwin?

I'm not 100% sure, these are just educated guesses.

ycleption

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 10:19:41 pm »
Sorry Pseudonym... wrong on both counts (although they may have been quoted in the places you mention).
Also, please PM me, rather than posting, just in case you get one right but not the other... Like Skywatcher, who figured out the first one (kudos on a partial victory).
:-)

Pseudonym

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:03:58 am »
Okay, thought about it some more and I think I have got it.

First quote was Macauley Culkin in Home Alone II?

Second quote Michael Dudikoff in American Ninja?

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 12:09:56 am »
Quote from: Pseudonym
Okay, thought about it some more and I think I have got it.

First quote was Macauley Culkin in Home Alone II?

Second quote Michael Dudikoff in American Ninja?

This is not a PM :P

ycleption

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 12:14:26 am »
You're getting warmer. . .
Try again a few hundred times and I'm sure you'll stumble unto it :)

ycleption

Contest over, and the cookie goes to:
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:30:23 pm »
Oneqtbebe! who correctly identified the first quote as by Lady Mary Wroth, 17th century poet (worth reading if you're interested in ren lit, or early women's writings). Specifically, it's from sonnet 14 from Pamphilia to Amphilanthus.
The second is from the film 70's animated film Wizards, by Ralph Bakshi... it's one of those movies I know isn't of terribly high cinematic quality, but I can't help but love.
So, sorry to all those of you who were hoping for a cookie, and congratulations to oneqtbebe.

OneST8

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:37:41 pm »
Wizards is a cool flic that's for sure though certainly not something I'd endorse for the under 16 crowd. So glad I was able to find a copy on DVD not too long ago.

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:03:10 pm »
For everyone one of us who didn't get a cookie....

Here yah go!

MJZ

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 03:14:25 pm »
Yay! *Bites the scimitar*

I was gonna say Shakespeare.. LOL

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 06:18:13 pm »
Sorry everyone, it looks like Aiden's gonna get a chocolate cookie! Yay! *cheers and prances off*

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 06:25:38 pm »
BTW, please restrain yourself from guessing my age b/c i firgured out the answers, asking a woman their age is such a callous thing to do *grin* in additional to their weight, too LOL

Force_of_Will_

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 07:31:23 pm »
ok.Instead of asking your age Ill ask "What was the hottest new group around in rock when you were 16?"

ycleption

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:05:43 pm »
Let's see you know the poems of Lady Mary Wroth, that make you, what.. about 400 maybe?

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 08:27:06 pm »
*nods* yes, elf life expectancy are long lived *wink*