The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 251 times)

Felicitous

• View Profile
    Greetings!
    « on: February 04, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »
    Well, this looks to be a fantastic game, I just wish I had found it sooner. Of course I grew up playing DnD, usually as DM. I enjoyed the Baldurs Gate series, and neverwinter nights. I've never been much into online play, as I have had trouble finding groups that wish to play in character. I can't wait to start playing!

I do have one question though....
    I'm shooting for an Arcane Archer (read my bio here). Combat is more important to me than spellcasting (although a healthy spell repitoire is cool). That in mind, should I Dual class Wizard/Ranger in the beginning, or start out a single class? If so, which one?

ShiffDrgnhrt

Re: Greetings!
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:59:03 pm »
    I'd start Fighter, or Fighter/Wizard, in order to have access to the feats to increase your skill with a bow (weapon focus and weapon specialization).  Ranger does not offer anything for a bow, truthfully, makes you sink points into Wisdom, and otherwise offers more feats for fighting with weapons (gets dual wield from the start).

But, not my decision!  :)  Many people dual class wiz ranger for arcane archer for some reason...  *shrugs*  Doesn't make sense to me though.  Fighter you get to choose your focus more.

(is guilty of suggesting wiz/ranger just the same to someone else that's new...)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:59:49 pm »
    Welcome to Layonara, by the way!  :)  It's a great place with a great community.  We're small (since NWN is getting old) but solid and always willing to help people :)

Warchild214

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:56:45 am »
    Welcome!  Always glad to see more players arrive.  See ya out there!

Ravemore

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
    Welcome! Have tons of fun! :)

Hellblazer

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 02:20:53 pm »
    Quote from: Felicitous
    Well, this looks to be a fantastic game, I just wish I had found it sooner. Of course I grew up playing DnD, usually as DM. I enjoyed the Baldurs Gate series, and neverwinter nights. I've never been much into online play, as I have had trouble finding groups that wish to play in character. I can't wait to start playing!

I do have one question though....
    I'm shooting for an Arcane Archer (read my bio here). Combat is more important to me than spell casting (although a healthy spell repitoire is cool). That in mind, should I Dual class Wizard/Ranger in the beginning, or start out a single class? If so, which one?

Having a very proficient Arcane archer at the moment called Tyillan. I went with wiz and arcane archer. You don't have to take any fighters/ranger/rogue class. to be proficient in it. But if you want, you'll have to be careful to balance the levels of your character to have 5 level in each class when you reach level 20 inclusively.

What Rangers do add to that, is if you decide to make a mix of ranger wiz aa. You can effectively wear no armor or light armor, able to use a shield, have the same HD as a fighter, with the same AB. Have good ac due to dexterity (which is essential to be a proficient and spot on shooter), have also ambidexterity, which nullifies the ab penalties that you have for dual wielding ( so no need to take two weapon fighting and improved weapon fighting), and gives you a good fighting attribute when flanking if the foes gets to close. And you can have an animal companion and a familiar at the same time, plus one summon. Which makes a good little army when yous tart up. Not counting that you also get healing spells (not many but still a little bonus). Contrary to beliefs, if you don't plan to play a spell caster ranger, you don't need to put points into Wisdom. Not all rangers are spell casters, some are just hunters, trackers, forest tender.

By the way Welcome on the server! Have fun and look for me in game if you have questions or need help.

Felicitous

• View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:35 pm »
      lol, you both make a good point. Maybe I'll switch him back to ranger, and just not dump the wisdom points in...Ranger goes better with his backstory, even if fighter is more technically sound.

lonnarin

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 08:24:32 pm »
      Welcome to layo!  As for what makes a good Arcane Archer combo... I've always wanted to see  Bard/Arcane archer.  Wish I had more slots for characters open, then I'd make one myself!

anything