The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Red Smash!  (Read 441 times)

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
    Red Smash!
    « on: March 28, 2007, 12:26:04 pm »
    "Maybe you see Red run 'round town. Maybe you see Red try eat hat. Maybe you see Red get turned to tree by crazy tall man. Maybe you see Red beat head 'gainst wall. Maybe you see Red smash stupid gobbie. Stupid gobbie not gobbie you say? Stupid gobbie "haf-uh-ling"? Red in trouble."

I am the man behind Layo's newest mental (and physical) midget. I figured I'd drop by and say helloski.

But seriously, new on Layo, and boy is playing a dwarf that doesn't have a Scottish accent for once a liberating experience. Every time I play a dwarf, that accent is like pulling intestines out your belly button, my right-hand pinky starts to ache from all the backspacing I do...I hate to think what I am gonna do if Red ever pops out of his brain damage.

Also, I just noticed that you guys allow GOBLIN PCs. This is, frankly, rather interesting, how do you handle this?

Carillon

Re: Red Smash!
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 04:34:58 pm »
    Hi there, and welcome.

To answer your question, the goblin PCs are part of the monstrous and sinister races and subraces, along with Dark Elf, Half Orc, Half Giant, Half Ogre, Orc, and Duergar. These subraces are open to anyone, but their alignments are restricted. With the exception of clerics of Az'átta, these characters must start out with a TN, CN, LE, or NE alignment (CE isn't allowed at all), and must be justified with an extensive and well thought out submission bio.

Although the subraces themselves aren't restricted in terms of who can play them, the evil alignments and CN are restricted, to help ensure players with characters of these alignments are mature enough to RP their characters convincingly without spoiling anyone else's fun. You can obtain more information on the details of alignment restrictions, subraces, and submission guidelines here.

Hope you are enjoying exploring with your new character! He sounds like a lot of fun. :)

Cheers,
    Carillon

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 04:57:38 pm »
      I just always wanted to play a goblin, but never found a PW that supported it :P

hawklen

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:38:36 pm »
      Quote from: Parrotpatrol
      I just always wanted to play a goblin, but never found a PW that supported it :P

Now you have! Isnt that awesome? :)

Oh, I play a dwarf without the accent.

Witch Hunter

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:42:31 pm »
      You play an Elf dressed in Dwarf.

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
        « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:46:03 pm »
        Also, I can't really find a definitive answer anywhere, level limit is 40 on this server right?

Witch Hunter

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »
        For the mentally ill, yes - otherwise about 25... :D

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
          « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 05:53:53 pm »
          "About"? What?

Witch Hunter

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 05:56:31 pm »
          That's as far as you'll get before going insane.

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
            « Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:15:51 pm »
            Oh come now, XP to gain levels can't be THAT insane, can it? 20k xp for lvl 5 is pretty nuts though....

hawklen

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:19:38 pm »
            Oh come now, XP to gain levels can't be THAT insane, can it? 20k xp for lvl 5 is pretty nuts though....

*laughs insanely*

Level 20-21, 3 million XP

level 6-8, 120,000 each level
            level 9-14 320,000 each level
            level 15-20 640,000 each level

I think those are the correct numbers, correct me if I am incorrectly not correct and stand to be corrected

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
              « Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 06:20:34 pm »
              *Stutters* B-b-ut why are XP levels that insane? WHY?

hawklen

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 06:21:29 pm »
              *Stutters* B-b-ut why are XP levels that insane? WHY?

I will throw this one out. Dorg? Orth? *grins evily*

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
                « Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 06:24:46 pm »
                By the time someone would reach level 40 they would be in a nursing home! Please tell me DM events aren't focused at high level characters....

hawklen

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 06:30:30 pm »
                By the time someone would reach level 40 they would be in a nursing home! Please tell me DM events aren't focused at high level characters....

Mostly the other way around. Quests are more focused towards lower and mid levels

orth

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 06:38:51 pm »
                Well what we are trying to do is along some of these lines...

So levels actually feel like a significant accomplishment to your character.
                So players can get to know their character and their character's abilities better.
                So the world will be explored more and new challenges found.
                So the people who have a lot of time to play can't be level 40 in 2 months.
                So stories like Storold's are truly wondrous.
                So the death system is more respected.

Acacea

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 06:43:37 pm »
                There are no level 40 characters here, yet so no. A couple are close, and have been playing here for years. There are several epic characters since the restrictions on it were lifted, but they tend to drop off a bit because of having a bit less to do, hehe. There are a lot fewer epic quests than low-mid ones. I think it's because there are less of them, and are harder to challenge without being ridiculous.

The cap used to be at 20, with those who wanted to level higher needing to undergo an epic quest to prove themselves, but now the quest is optional, for those who wish to be World Leaders, and those who don't can simply level as normal as high as they want.

Edit - hehe, what I get for forgetting I had the reply window open...slow, slow

orth

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 06:45:13 pm »
                As an addendum which are sometimes buried under the scary XP scale.

GM Quests grant XP for time played scaled by level.
                Characters gain more XP if they are grouped up.
                Characters gain more XP if their group is relatively the same level.
                XP for equal foes grows as your character does.  You might get 30xp a goblin at Level 4 and 300xp for a giant at 12 in relatively equal battles.  In some cases the latter are easier.

Parrotpatrol

• View Profile
                  « Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 06:46:47 pm »
                  Well I can understand that but...3 million xp a level...is pretty extreme.

orth

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 06:49:47 pm »
                  Well I can understand that but...3 million xp a level...is pretty extreme.

That is from Level 20-21 to signify an Epic Character and the growth required.  What we were trying to do there is slow the character down to actually take the time to just let their character feel a major accomplishment in becoming epic rather then another level.  I've seen many epic players truly establish an identity in that hump as they realized "grinding" that much would drive them batty.

21-22 goes back down to 1.something million.

anything