The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Who's your granny?  (Read 553 times)

Serissa

Who's your granny?
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:12:40 am »
Hello, I'm Martha--Granny, bonsai artist, Layo addict.

I think I would be the oldest person playing on Layonara (at 63), except that my husband is even older than I am.  I have two grandchildren whom I also introduced to Layo.  They even play in game with me sometimes.  The third one is still learning her alphabet, but give her a few years and she'll be here.

I have about a hundred bonsai trees in various stages of neglect from playing here too much.  My game name, Serissa, is the name of a small tropical tree with tiny white flowers that is often used for bonsai.  It stinks when you cut it and drops dead if you look at it cross-eyed.  Seems appropriate!

I started reading science fiction in about sixth grade (when I discovered my dad's stash), and discovered fantasy somewhat later when I gulped down LOTR in one looong weekend.  I've been hooked ever since.

I discovered role-playing games when my son was in junior high, becoming DM for him and his friends.  That was when D&D was being touted as dangerous to our youth--a few idiots got hurt acting it out in real life.  He grew up and went on to other things.  (I don't know where I failed him.)  I stayed hooked, playing nearly every computer RP game that came along.  I moved to on-line worlds about five years ago and discovered Layo a couple of years ago.  Haven't gone anywhere else since.

I grew up mostly in Texas, but have also lived in Tennessee, Missouri, Indiana and New Jersey.  I've been living in West Virginia for nearly forty years, and it's the best.  There are woods right outside my back door, but it's only a ten minute walk to the store if I'm really in a hurry.  There are great places for hiking and camping all over the place, and the scenery is wonderful.  I've been to most of our western states and Hawaii, and to Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, England, and even Tahiti, but this is the place I love most (except for Layo, of course).

I love to cook.  I even bake our bread and make my own soup stocks.  The best part is that my husband usually cleans up after me.  I love being retired--the only alarm clock I set is to get up in time for a Layo quest.  Considering all the dumb things I've done, I'm proud to have made it to age 63, and love being the age I am.

I hope to meet you in game and have lots of fun!

Serissa

Witch Hunter

Re: Who's your granny?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:43 am »
Wow! when you first told me about your grandson I hardly believed it but... Wow!

A 63 years old lady that plays roleplaying games is perhaps the coolest thing ever :P I salute you.

MJZ

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:24:12 am »
You're the best damn granny this side of the Forgotten Realms!! :B Can I have a cookie?

And about the era when D&D was considered dangerous to youth (which predates me).. it's making me think of "The Dead Alewives" - "Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!"

Kindo

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:46:41 am »
We haven't done much aside some business together, but I'm really glad to know more about you. This community just keeps getting better and better! The diversity is jaw-droppingly awesome. :)

Quote from: MJZ
And about the era when D&D was considered dangerous to youth (which predates me).. it's making me think of "The Dead Alewives" - "Roll the dice to see if I'm getting drunk!"
Here it is: http://www.layonara.com/just-fun/113928-dead-alewives-dungeons-dragons.html

Omega_mnm

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 11:11:07 am »
    Holy crap! Will you be my granny? I want a granny who plays RPGs with me! lol
    I haven't met you in the game yet I don't think.. but it's nice to know a bit more about you.

Can I have a cookie?
    haha Please?

Seriously... I salute you. Glad to see Layo isn't just for the youngin's.

Btw.. I grew up in the Maryland. And I've camped numerous times in the West Virginia area. I even lived in West Virginia for about 2 years. Beautiful place, I must admit.

It's a possibility I'll be moving back to the east coast sometime soon.. maybe I'll come beg you for a cookie then :P

Serissa

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:14:49 am »
    I love baking cookies.  Just let me know when you're coming.

Seriss

Serissa

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:16:12 am »
    I love baking cookies.  Just let me know when you're coming... :)

Serissa

Omega_mnm

• View Profile
      « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 11:26:42 am »
      haha will do. My grammy is gonna be pissed at me though O.O

LynnJuniper

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 12:40:22 pm »
      Yeah, having someone in my family who understands what a 'd20' is would be awesome. Your family is lucky ;)

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 04:36:27 pm »
      Um... LOTR in one weekend?  I salute you for that as well.  Unheard of and they are my favorite books.  I hope to be you when I am 63, I have been at RPG's for 25 years so I don't see it letting up well, ever.  I love Ferrit, never met Sala, keep the hits coming!

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 09:57:09 am »
      did I say hi yet?  I dont think I said hi yet...  I should say hi...

"HI!"

anything