The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Who is Dorganath?  (Read 607 times)

Dorganath

Who is Dorganath?
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:13:37 pm »
Hello all!

Behind the veil of semi-secrecy that the Internet and these forums provide, I am known as Dorganath, a Layonara player, GM and developer.  On the other side of the great electronic veil, I'm known as Steve, a 36 year-old husband to one, father of two and brother to one.  

I got my gaming start back in elementary school...hmmm...maybe 4th or 5th grade when my best friend introduced me to this D&D thing, and I've been hooked ever since.  I was at one time a proud owner of the "Purple Box", though sadly the only thing that survives of it are the dice...which I'm pretty sure are hardened against nuclear radiation. I also still have many of my old, 1st Edition AD&D characters. Over the years, we tried out several different PnP gaming systems but always heavily favored D&D.

Fast-forward several years, then several more...and probably add a few just to be safe...and some of those same people I used go game with got together and we started running through Icewind Dale 2 in multiplayer.  And then rumors of a new game on the horizon started to float on the wind this new game, Neverwinter Nights, that held the promise of being able to bring a tabletop, GMed gaming experience to a group of nostalgic old gamers who no longer live within a 15-minute drive.

Like most grand plans, this never quite materialized, however in late 2004, the very same friend, who first got me started with D&D and who GMed most of our gaming sessions in my early years, told me about this NWN persistent world called Layonara.  In October of 2004, I submitted my first character and I've been hooked ever since.

I played for about 8 months or so before applying to become a GM, and a couple months later (and just before the birth of my second child), Leanthar asked me to take on the module updates and maintenance tasks. To put it simply, I was excited by the offer, floored by the opportunity, and nervous as heck, but I did it anyway, and I've never regretted it.

So that's how I got to this point, at least.  As far as other things about me...Well, as I mentioned, I'm a father of two, both daughters and both quite naturally the cutest kids in the world. This has been certified by many committees, mostly imaginary. As cheesy as it may sound, I have to give my wife a boat-load of thanks, mostly for putting up with me and understanding my rather time-consuming addictions.  

For the job that pays the bills, I'm a mild-mannered Programmer/Network Admin./Tech Support/Server Admin./Workplace diplomat/Web guy/Technology Guru/Database Admin./Probably-other-stuff-I'm-forgetting Guy, which means on any given day I'm generally pretty busy and/or quite far behind.  

Living near Chicago but not being a native, I've grown accustomed to only having two seasons: Road Construction and Winter. During the winter,  I huddle inside being very glad I'm not out in the wind. During the Road Construction season, I engage in such outdoor activities such as lawn mowing, landscaping and "picking-up-after-those-darned-kids-throwing-trash-in-my-yard" *shakes a fist*.  

I also enjoy music, when it's not geared for people under 16, catching up with whatever I have recorded on my DVR at the time, or kicking back with a good movie with explosions and/or gratuitous fight scenes and/or any other assortment of "grown-up" themes.  More often, however, I hear the theme songs to "Blue's Clues", "Arthur" or "The Backyardigans", with shows and/or movies to match and where about the only thing that gets blown up is a balloon.

For those who are curious, the name Dorganath originally came from an NPC in one of my all-time favorite one-off adventures out of a magazine, which also got used as the name for one of my own characters. When I started playing NWN, it seemed an appropriate bit of nostalgia to that for my login name, and so it has stuck with me.

I suppose there's more, but it's time for me to slip back comfortably behind the curtain of pseudo-anonymity and let you all wonder about the rest.

*disappears to a Cheshire Cat grin*

oneqtbebe

• Followers of Beryl
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Dorganath?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:36:01 pm »
very proficient post.. thanks! nice to meet you Steve! *waves*

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 09:55:48 am »
Awww...  Only one person said hi to Dorg...  *hugs*

Heya dude!  Nice to know the person at the helm of this place knows what they are doing... >.>  I mean...  Good Job!  *runs and hides*

jrizz

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
"Blue's Clues", "Arthur" or "The Backyardigans",

jrizz

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 12:21:26 pm »
"Blue's Clues" and the "The Backyardigans" theme songs haunt my very sleep :P

lonnarin

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 12:25:32 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
Hello all!

Living near Chicago but not being a native, I've grown accustomed to only having two seasons: Road Construction and Winter. During the winter,  I huddle inside being very glad I'm not out in the wind. During the Road Construction season, I engage in such outdoor activities such as lawn mowing, landscaping and "picking-up-after-those-darned-kids-throwing-trash-in-my-yard" *shakes a fist*.  

Hey, here in Orlando we only have road construction season and scalding Arrakis season.  It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the the fact that they both coincide and the sandworms were all replaced by tourists.

Falonthas

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 12:28:47 pm »
ill gladly trade tourists for shai halud anyday

Hellblazer

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 02:07:57 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
I'm a mild-mannered Programmer/Network Admin./Tech Support/Server Admin./Workplace diplomat/Web guy/Technology Guru/Database Admin./Probably-other-stuff-I'm-forgetting Guy,

Gee I bet a few others would like to have a name plate that long.

s0ulz

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 02:16:35 pm »
To me, Dorg is the man behind the scenes. He puts immense amounts of dedicated, good-hearted and at most times ungrateful work that he gets way little credit for.

So keep it up Dorg, we all love you, man.

Stephen_Zuckerman

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »
The best man Layonara has.

Pseudonym

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 06:40:37 pm »
If I can't win the thanks count, the only person to whom I will somewhat graciously concede as partially, maybe, on some level, a bit, arguably, flip o' the coin, one-or-the-other, perhaps more worthy of the title.

Weeblie

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 03:33:53 pm »
Awww....

Dorganath almost sounds mortal... :)

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 05:30:58 pm »
Quote from: Pseudonym
If I can't win the thanks count, the only person to whom I will somewhat graciously concede as partially, maybe, on some level, a bit, arguably, flip o' the coin, one-or-the-other, perhaps more worthy of the title.

you realize there are like...  20 people with more thanks then you?  Hell I have more then you ;)

HooD!uM

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 05:46:40 pm »
hehe dont worry matt..even tho theres no tag for it..im sure you beat everyone here by curses alone :)

Link092

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 08:20:32 pm »
Three cheers for Dorg?

Very helpful when I first started. :)

anything