The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Exceptional Lag  (Read 592 times)

Weeblie

Exceptional Lag
« on: May 04, 2008, 07:43:07 pm »
SS reimbursement requests are from time to time filed under the Exceptional Lag case... but what is really exceptional lag? Lets try to define that with this video feed (beware that it's approximately 120 MB large)! One shall take extra note that I have a steady stream of 25-ish FPS during the whole battle (smooth camera movement... no obvious lag while typing text...) while spell casting and movement in general is hampered by heavy delays. :)

http://ftp://ftp.starworm.com/layonara/lag_chongo_quest.rar

Note: It's Xvid/MP3 encoded. VLC Media Player is fully capable of playing it, if you haven't got the codecs for other media players of your choice.

Edit: I compressed the file with WinRAR for slightly quicker download.

The following users thanked this post: Erik K

Hellblazer

Re: Exceptional Lag
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 08:03:21 pm »
Hehe, my vid card felt the pain from that quest. But when it takes almost thirty seconds for your char to start attacking, you know its not just video lag :p

one thing I'd like to know is what interface are yo using? love the blueness of the hp bars and all

Filatus

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:50:14 am »
Did I see Sallaron run from a wild chicken? :rolleyes:

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 01:55:24 am »
Bwahaha, that was my favorite part of watching the whole thing.... the wild chickens still attacking after most the giants were dead. That and the lone ox that survived. Never moved from it's starting spot.

Otherwise, you can blame me for the lag.... got a little carried away with creatures... *coughs* NWN just doesn't handle fifty creatures all too well when they're crammed into one area.

Reminded me of the attack on Milara before Bloodstone's death. Craaaaazy lag. At least I didn't throw ten hellballs at you guys. :p

ShiffDrgnhrt

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 02:05:33 am »
Exceptional Lag?  Is that when the Server rolls a 20 on its Attempt to Craft more Gravestones?

Or is it when it rolls a 1 on keeping stable...

Never can tell...  :p

Weeblie

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 04:08:47 am »
Quote from: Hellblazer
Hehe, my vid card felt the pain from that quest. But when it takes almost thirty seconds for your char to start attacking, you know its not just video lag :p

one thing I'd like to know is what interface are yo using? love the blueness of the hp bars and all

I can't remember completely... it's some transparent UI thing found on NWVault, though I did strip it down a little (didn't like all the modifications).

Weeblie

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:24:28 am »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
Bwahaha, that was my favorite part of watching the whole thing.... the wild chickens still attacking after most the giants were dead. That and the lone ox that survived. Never moved from it's starting spot.

Otherwise, you can blame me for the lag.... got a little carried away with creatures... *coughs* NWN just doesn't handle fifty creatures all too well when they're crammed into one area.

Reminded me of the attack on Milara before Bloodstone's death. Craaaaazy lag. At least I didn't throw ten hellballs at you guys. :p

Fifty creatures in the same area with OnHit properties! Just imagine the massive amount of scripts being fired each round (which was far longer than usual 6 seconds, by the way ;) ).

s0ulz

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 04:45:18 am »
All I know from that incident was that Fenrir didn't react at all. I clicked furiously in the beginning to no avail until I decided there was nothing I could do and let him just stand there.

I hate when lag gets so bad your character doesn't react at all.

LordCove

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 07:11:33 am »
Yup.. was crazy. You clicked... and 2 minutes later.. your there... but by that time... what you were chasing was gone.

Although I did notice.. whilst everyone's lagging... those Imperial Arcs were quite happy to wander back and forth attacking at will.

I kinda feared the chicken. A lone chicken surrounded by Giants and Arcs? You just knew it would have some special Death magic skill  ;)

Blackguy

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 07:52:55 am »
I didnt even notice Allei trying to heal Lin'da. She kept running after her :)

Weeblie

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 11:13:48 am »
Oh.... and for those wondering why I fired up the character status page in the end... it was for the oxen.

I was afraid we would have been hit by evil points. :)

Desicardo

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 11:56:15 am »
Not sure if I actually got a shot off or not.. I think so just because I got one of the Imperials attention and he promptly came over and pounded me to death while I stood there and watched helplessly..heh.

lonnarin

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 06:58:18 pm »
At least it looked like the GMs had a heart there.  I remember some plot events like the Battle for Stone and some of the skirmishes with Blood's army where everybody was literally glued to the floor and this one tiefling sorceress just mopped the floor with everybody because she had like 90 magic missiles and nobody could reach her or even draw their bow.  That's the absolute worst kind of lag, where only the players seem to feel it, you sit there and you watch your paralyzed avatar frozen like a statue and meanwhile the monsters are doing a happy dance at full speed as they invoke their own version of "perpetual time stop".  This lag in the video seems just... laggy. ;)

I will say one thing though, NOTHING beats the old 2004-era NPC merchant lag.  I remember when somebody would walk into that house and the whole server would freeze up, thousands of miles away on the other side of the world a party would die.  Now those were the days... wouldn't go pick cotton north of Hlint without a balanced party, lol.

In comparison to today, the lagfactor has dramatically decreased since then.  I also note that's around the same time Dorg came to the server... coincidence?  or just good coding?

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 07:04:52 pm »
I altered all the creatures, oxen included, to be hostile. (which is why I'm really surprised that one ox survived)