The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Most Enjoyed Books or Authors  (Read 1493 times)

Mooneyes

Re: Most Enjoyed Books or Authors
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 02:19:20 pm »
Nibor,

I agree with you about Thomas Covenant. I've read the whole series and kept looking for some redemptive value in him but at the same time I just couldn't put it down.  I love hated him.

darkstorme

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 01:24:46 am »
Three additional authors who I cannot believe have not yet appeared on this list:

• Robert A. Heinlein
  • Spider Robinson
  • Douglas Adams
(The fact that the last was not on the list is some sort of travesty.

Carillon

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007, 05:58:55 am »
Ah, books! Such lovely things, and so darn distracting when you need to be working on something else. They're very similar to Layonara in that regard.

I see some of my favourites have already been given attention in this thread, so I'll throw out a couple authors and books I've enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet.

Guy Gavriel Kay -- A Canadian fantasy writer with two Aurora awards under his belt, and many years of good writing still to come. He's the author of the "Fionavar Tapestry" series, "Tigana", "The Lions of Al-Rassan", "Ysabel", and half a dozen other books.

Susan Cooper -- A childhood favourite, and a very celebrated English children's author. I think she has at least one or maybe two Newbery awards for her series "The Dark is Rising". Personally, I always liked "The Boggart" too, but it was "Seaward" that captured my heart.

O. R. Melling -- Another childhood favourite, and another Canadian. She wrote  "The Hunter's Moon" and "The Singing Stone" among other things, and tends to have a focus on Celtic and Irish folklore in her fantasy.

Lois Lowry -- "The Giver". (While I'm on childhood favourites). If you've read this one, you probably know why I'm mentioning it. I think this may have been one of the books that set me up to love fantasy and science-fiction so much.

Some other more adult favourites:

• "High Fidelity" -- Nicholas Hornby
  • "The Poisonwood Bible" --Barbara Kingsolver
  • "The Lovely Bones" -- Alice Sebold (Also, an interesting biography by the same author -- "Lucky")
  • "The Loop" -- Nicholas Evans ("The Horse Whisperer" was also good, but I liked "The Loop" better)
  • Several of Farley Mowat's books -- make me laugh till I cry every time
  • Anything by Christopher Moore, when I'm in the mood for something wacky/absurd/funny/awful/dark/unique. This guy is crazy, but crazy in an interesting and often very very funny way. The last book of his I read? "A Dirty Job" (all about Death with a capital D). One before that? "Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story" (wacky vampire romances)
  • Lots of the classical English literature types. Comes with the English minor, I guess, but I genuinely like Shakespeare, the Romantic poets, Dickens, Joyce and the like. "Wuthering Heights" is a definite favourite.
  • Plays. I took a course on Canadian drama two years ago from a great prof, and it really opened up my eyes to a genre I'd been ignoring. I know they're "meant to be seen" but they make pretty good reading too. And no, I don't just love Canadian plays. I just know them best. Have to say I love Tom Stoppard too.
  • "The Time Traveller's Wife" -- Audrey Niffenager. This is an amazing work -- probably my current favourite book. I simply cannot praise this highly enough. It had absolutely everything I was looking for, and was absolutely uncompromising in the path its story took.
I could go on, but I won't, because I could literally post all night!

p.s. For those that are wondering ... No. There really is no rhyme or reason to my taste in books. I'll read anything, from cereal boxes to instruction manuals. Call my taste random, crazy, eclectic, or non-existant, but I'm just that kind of person.

lunchboxkilla

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2007, 05:10:10 pm »
The Hourus Heresy set

lolli_gagged

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2007, 10:13:43 pm »
So many where do I start. King of course, LOTR, Also like Kellerman a lot. Classics wise I am a big fan of David Copperfield and Jayne Eyre. I also like James Patterson. Enjoyed the Harry Potter Series. Books I read the most are true crime books though no particular author expect maybe along the lines of John Douglas and other former FBI profiler folk. I'm sure I will think of many many more and have to come back and edit.

Falonthas

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2007, 12:07:00 am »
sunrunners were mentioned by melanie rawn
both trilogies are great the dragon prince is the first trio
and dragon star the second

robin hobb- ship of magic, madship, and ship of destiny
the ships are actually alive

any dragonlance by weis and hickman

any forgotten realms novels

battlefield earth by hubbard

and one i notice hasnt been mentioned at all
anne mccaffrey- anything from pern

Dalila

• Followers of Toran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 12:50:46 pm »
1) Harry Potter, the series, by J. K. Rowling

2) Redeeming love, I can't remember the author

3) Screwtape Letter by C. S. Lewis

4) Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis

Lord Dark

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2007, 01:10:13 am »
I read all the time, and here are just a few.

-The Wheel Of Time (Books 1-11)- by Robert Jordan

-The Left Behind Series(not exactly know how many books there are)

Mooneyes

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 01:20:55 am »
I've read those too.  Good books.....lot's of suspence in the Behind series.

Chazzler

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 08:00:48 am »
There are many already listed above that I like very much, like D&D novels, Tolkien, Dune saga.

I myself would like to add the Finland's folk story legend: Kalevala, although it is in a poetic form and works best in finnish. But I'm sure there are aplenty of translations available nowadays.

The other that I would recommend is Robin Hobb's Assassin Series.
Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest

hawklen

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2007, 11:33:44 am »
Alot o fthose books I've read.

L.E Modesitt Jr. - The magic of Recluce series.

Its very good, all about Chaos and Order and the struggle to Balance.

He does other fantasy books, and sci-fi books. One of my favorite sci-fi ones by him is the Parafaith war. Good take on a religous war, its worth a read.

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2007, 04:35:31 am »
To add to the list:

Jane Yolen - Dragon's Blood

Edit: For those of you considering reading the silmarillion and get incredibly bored in the first section to the point where you're about to give up... just skip to the main section of the book. It'll give you the reason to read the beginning (which has been (accurately) portrayed as reading like the old testemant.)

Mooneyes

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 02:23:51 am »
I just had to add this one since I just finished reading it.

Children in the Night

By Harold Myra

An epic fantasy of yearning, horror, myth, and wonder.  A story of good versus evil in a subterranean world of Perpetual night.

It may be difficult to locate this book as it is now out of print but it's worth the search if you find it!

Mooneyes

HooD!uM

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2008, 03:50:00 am »
great books all

i have collected the complete forgotten realms books to date (twice since my mum gave away my complete first collection) The maztica trilogy is one of my favorites. but when i feel like being a big kid i actually mess around with my collection of steve jackson and ian livingstone's FF (fighting fantasy books). ahh the good ol days!

Jilseponie Wyndon

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:12 am »
FYI

Terry Goodkind : Wizard's First Rule, the first in the Sword of Truth series.

It is now in TV format: Legend of the Seeker Series.  Available for download as its up to episdoe 6. (Mininova.com for bittorrent)  I have it here on WPHL 17 Philadelphia.

Black Cat

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 02:54:52 pm »
Hmm, let's see

- Tolkien
- Pratchett
- Raymond E. Feist (especially the Empire's Trilogy, and the first 4 books of The Krondor's Chronicle)
- Anne McCaffrey - The Chronicle of Pern)
- Asimov and Philip K. (name automatically erased/edited for a strange but obvious reason)
- David Lodge (nothing to do with Sc-Fi or Fantasy though)

- Malory (if anyone else read him, and/or know what he wrote, let me know ;) )

Link092

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:28 pm »
Quote from: Jilseponie Wyndon
FYI

Terry Goodkind : Wizard's First Rule, the first in the Sword of Truth series.

It is now in TV format: Legend of the Seeker Series.  Available for download as its up to episdoe 6. (Mininova.com for bittorrent)  I have it here on WPHL 17 Philadelphia.

I just finished the last book Confessor... I recently was able to buy it paperback.... awesome series. :D   not to mention that the series looks good. I've only seen episode 4 though...

Makashi

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 10:06:41 am »
Conn Iggulden's Emperor Series:
- Gates of Rome
- Death of the Kings
- Field of the Swords
- Gods of the War

All very good books, just started the final one in the series today, it's about Julius Caesar's life and is brilliantly written. Definitely going to move on to his other books after this one.

Pseudonym

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 05:49:06 pm »
Do yourself a favour and do so, the Genghis Khan series is even better (IMO).

Chazzler

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2008, 02:18:28 am »
I recently started to read Jeff Long - The Descent once again, marvelous storytelling and creepy & disturbing.

I would also recommend some sort of a collaboration book about ancient greek mythology, I enjoyed reading these as a child.