The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Proper English  (Read 511 times)

Teo

Proper English
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:15:42 am »
Okay, me and my dad had an argument over this: Is ain't proper English?

I know it's in the dictionary, but still... I think it's slang. What do you all think?

Mooneyes

Re: Proper English
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 11:25:37 am »
I ain't gonna make a comment about this.  :)

Kaail

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:29:52 am »
It is non-standard is some dialects and fine in others. Merely depends where you are.

xsweetpeaxs

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:15:17 pm »
Ain't is ambiguous. Don't quote me on this since it's been so long since I've taken history, but the word ain't was used back in the early century as a typical slang expression for 'am not', merely used in poor urban and industrial areas of the U.S. and England. However, due to its popularity, the word was added to the dictionary... similar to other slangs.  I wouldn't recommend using any slang on professional papers, but speak it freely if you want. Mind over matter.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »
English being the parasitic language it is, common usage qualifies it as part of the language. However, it's usage could create an impression or perception that is undesirable. I would also say that to use "ain't" in formal writing is less communicative than am not. Just my opinion though.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »
English being the parasitic language it is, common usage qualifies it as part of the language. However, it's usage could create an impression or perception that is undesirable. I would also say that to use "ain't" in formal writing is less communicative than "am not". Just my opinion though.

darkstorme

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:47:25 pm »
I would group "ain't" with "y'all" - that is, things that might be acceptable in IM conversations, but shouldn't appear in anything more formal.

davidhoff

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 03:41:36 pm »
Some would argue "proper english" would exclude words that were adapted by Americans after they settled in North America.  So, if the folks in England ain't using the word or if they look down upon its use because Americans created it, then some may not consider it "proper".

Gulnyr

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:51:30 pm »
It seems like the real question is what "proper" means.

The strange thing is that's hard to get a consensus on, too.  Consider the example presented previously that it would be improper to use "ain't" in a formal situation.  Well, if it's improper in a situation, it can't be proper English, can it?

At the same time, there are people who will insist it is improper to use the correct names for certain body parts around children, preferring that slang terms be used instead.  Does that make the correct names improper English?

So that's apparently not the way to determine what proper English is, huh?  hehe.  It's really no wonder the world is a mess.

gilshem ironstone

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 03:57:17 pm »
Quote from: Gulnyr
It seems like the real question is what "proper" means.

The strange thing is that's hard to get a consensus on, too.  Consider the example presented previously that it would be improper to use "ain't" in a formal situation.  Well, if it's improper in a situation, it can't be proper English, can it?

At the same time, there are people who will insist it is improper to use the correct names for certain body parts around children, preferring that slang terms be used instead.  Does that make the correct names improper English?

So that's apparently not the way to determine what proper English is, huh?  hehe.  It's really no wonder the world is a mess.

I agree that it is very subjective to determine what "proper" is.  However, I would say that it is often appropriate and "proper" to modify your vocabulary usage depending on the situation; communication of an idea is the primary use of language after all.  For example if a physicist has to explain a theoretical concept to a PhD student he would (likely) use different words than if he were talking to a high school student.  The differing levels of knowledge would probably require a differing employment of words to communicate the theoretical idea.  So different words can be proper in different situations.  The unfortunate side effect of this is that it further blurs the notion of what proper language use is.

ycleption

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 04:44:20 pm »
I would agree with Gulnyr that the real question is what is "proper" ... that said, words like "ain't" are not slang, nor are they part of "standard written English" (which is often what people mean when they say "proper English") but are rather colloquialisms.

anything