The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Totally NOT Layonara Related...  (Read 1330 times)

OneST8

Totally NOT Layonara Related...
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've been hunting for some good space-type movies to watch and sadly I haven't found anything I haven't seen already. Basically, my idle brain cycles are craving some good space-ship based movies to consume and I'm coming to you fine folks for your recommendations.

To give you an idea, the following are all "A" list movies in my space-books.

I'm assuming that I'll have seen just about everything everyone suggests but I've got to ask anyways just in case there's that one gem I've been missing out on that will satisfy my craving.

Also, some background into the sci-fi-ness of the question, I've been consumed with all things Cosmos related these days and for anyone interested in learning about our universe I would highly recommend all of the following documentaries (in no particular order):

You know what, while we're at it, suggest documentaries too! I love to learn about the deep-end of physics and I think one of the things I like about space-based movies is that I get to pick out all the "hollywood physics" and I've got to admit that the latest Star Trek held true to a lot of things that they ignored in the prior installments in the series. As an example, due to the vacuum of space, there is no sound nor is there really any chance for fire and in the prior films they'd have huge explosions with lots of real flame and noise but in the latest Star Trek there's a deafening lack of sound as the camera follows a crew-person that's sucked out a gaping hole in the ship and all the external "fires" are rendered at least fairly close to what would be expected of explosions sucked out into space.

Anyways, I appreciate all feedback!

Thanks!
~OneST8

Cinnabar

Re: Totally NOT Layonara Related...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:44:59 pm »
Wing Commander (1999) David Warner, Jurgen Prochnow, David Suchet, Saffron Burrows IMDb link

Space movie w/ combat sequences reminicent of WWII submarine and carrier engagements

OneST8

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:52:33 pm »
Quote from: Cinnabar
Wing Commander (1999) David Warner, Jurgen Prochnow, David Suchet, Saffron Burrows IMDb link

Space movie w/ combat sequences reminicent of WWII submarine and carrier engagements

Totally forgot about that one! Yeah, great example of awesome spacey stuff :)

I loved the original game too. One of the best space-combat games of all time!

Hellblazer

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:54:34 pm »
Well maybe this could fit your list :P

.. or maybe not!

RollinsCat

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:58:32 pm »
Star Gate

Farscape

Titan A.E. ("An intelligent guard... didn't see that one coming.")

Dorganath

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »
Babylon 5

Yeah, it's TV again, but like Battlestar Galactica, they at least paid attention to space physics (thruster-based maneuvers and such).  And they had a few full-length movie specials, too.

Hellblazer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:14:06 pm »
I loved Babylon 5.

Nehetsrev

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:17:10 pm »
Hmm....
 Movies
 Dark Star - an old 'B-movie' sci-fi comedy...well, dark-comedy really.
 Red Planet - Val Kilmer crashes on Mars...
 Taken - Mini-series from Spielburg about alien abducties.
 Battle Beyond the Stars - An old space-opera-ish flick, starring that guy who played John-boy Walton on the Waltons.
 Wall-E - Earth is trashed, humanity has fled to the stars and clean-up robot Wall-E hitches a ride to bring life back to Earth.
 Solaris - A scientist leaves Earth to find out what's happened at a research station in orbit over a strange planet.

Sci-Fi-ish Documentary
 Alien Planet - Explores what a futuristic probe sent to a nearby star might find, with input from many sciencey types, including a few words from Stephen Hawking. Has some very imaginative ideas.

Anyhow... there's a few off the top of my head that may not be as main-stream and popular, and therefore may have a higher chance of not having been viewed by you...err, with the exception of Wall-E, which I just like because it's a sci-fi Pixar flick the whole family can enjoy.

OneST8

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 08:48:57 pm »
Quote from: RollinsCat
Star Gate

Farscape

Loved Titan A.E. and the original Star Gate... Farscape though, I've "seen" it but have yet to actually "see" the movie. Thanks! I'll be sure to pick that one up!

OneST8

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:52:12 pm »
Quote from: Hellblazer
Well maybe this could fit your list :P

.. or maybe not!

Haha! That was great :)

OneST8

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:53:16 pm »
Quote from: Dorganath
Babylon 5

Yeah, it's TV again, but like Battlestar Galactica, they at least paid attention to space physics (thruster-based maneuvers and such).  And they had a few full-length movie specials, too.

You know, I used to watch this and totally forgot about Babylon 5... Thanks :) I'll have to check for those specials and see how much the seasons are.

Guardian 452

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 09:13:29 pm »
Space Above and Beyond - TV series

And I loved Wing Commander III Heart of the Tiger for the 3DO (I wonder how many here even know what 3DO is LOL), stars included Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell and more!

OneST8

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »
Quote from: Guardian 452
Space Above and Beyond - TV series

And I loved Wing Commander III Heart of the Tiger for the 3DO (I wonder how many here even know what 3DO is LOL), stars included Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell and more!

3DO... Classic...

I'll be checking into Space Above and Beyond though, looks interesting.

Thanks!

miltonyorkcastle

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »
Farscape is fun and different, for sure. Four seasons (if I remember right) and a movie to keep you going.

While not exactly on the cutting edge of accuracy, I still get a kick out of The Last Starfighter.

Aerimor

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »
I don't know much about good movies, but i know something about movies so bad they are good.

Ice Pirates
Fifth Element
Flash Gordon
Galaxy Quest
Battle Beyound the Stars (Stolen form the Magnificent seven (Stolen from Seven Samuri))
SpaceBalls
Starship Troopers

also:
Alien(s)
Last Star Fighter

Good one but not really a space movie:
Forbidden Planet (a classic)

They need a Buck Rodgers movie!

Edit: Took too long to hit post, now Steel got Last Star Fighter on the list first.

OneST8

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 10:08:18 pm »
Quote from: miltonyorkcastle
Farscape is fun and different, for sure. Four seasons (if I remember right) and a movie to keep you going.

While not exactly on the cutting edge of accuracy, I still get a kick out of The Last Starfighter.

That was my all-time favorite sci-fi movie as a kid... Saw it on TMN and then a few years later got the VHS of it... still loved it... wore out the tape... couldn't find a DVD anywhere but found another copy on VHS... gonna have to dig it up and get it into a different format *chuckles*

Double kudos for bringing that one up.

Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

Great! A million miles from no-where and I'm stuck with a gungho iguana that tells me to relax.

Simply Priceless!

Chazzler

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »
Planet of the Apes (the old ones and the new too)

And some comedy stuff by Finns, related to Babylon 5 and Star Trek -> Star Wreck
It will also have a sequel sooner or later, named Iron Sky (The Nazi's in WWII made a moon base to the dark side of the moon!)

Ravemore

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 11:08:40 pm »
Quote from: RollinsCat
Star Gate

Farscape

Yay Farscape! If you have Netflix you can stream three seasons worth with 16 or 17 episodes per season...

OneST8

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 11:11:38 pm »
Quote from: Chazzler
Planet of the Apes (the old ones and the new too)

And some comedy stuff by Finns, related to Babylon 5 and Star Trek -> Star Wreck
It will also have a sequel sooner or later, named Iron Sky (The Nazi's in WWII made a moon base to the dark side of the moon!)

Haha, nice! Star Wrek looks pretty cool.

And yeah, Planet of the Apes is a great franchise... loved the old and new one.

EdTheKet

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 02:46:03 am »
Don't bother with Space above and beyond. IT got cancelled after the first season (was supposed to be five) so you get this open-ended series.

You can always try Space Balls:

King Roland of the planet Druidia is trying to marry his daughter  Princess Vespa to Prince Valium, but Vespa is kidnapped by the evil race  of the Spaceballs. The Spaceballs ask Roland a tremendous ransom: all  the air of Druidia (you see, the air of Spaceball had serious pollution  problems...). The King decides to offer a generous amount of money to a  space rogue, Lone Starr, to persuade him to save Vespa. What follows is  the parody of a _LOT_ of famous SF movies

But you have to be in the mood for the humor.

anything