The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Yes, we are.  (Read 461 times)

miltonyorkcastle

Yes, we are.
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:46 am »
When someone asks you what you are, or makes fun of you for your obsessiveness over a hobby, or calls you a nerd, point them to this article.

Dear Fake Geek Girls: Please Go Away - Forbes

The following users thanked this post: Lance Stargazer, Aphel

Aphel

Re: Yes, we are.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:55:59 pm »
I never understood that whole name calling and identity crisis that appear to have culture always in it's grip. What people are is easy to tell, most of them are human. Labels, especially those that are used to seperate one group of people for another group of people, are not always prime set-up points for positive communications and interaction between people. If people go tail-chasing for the truest of the true [insert label], it's mostly interesting and maybe amusing to watch. In the end, people are people with interests. If somebody complains that kids these days have no idea who TheMentor was and call themselves HaXx0rz when they know how to plug in an USB drive, than that is because of the properties of language. The same word can have different meanings at different times with slightly different connotations, and so do labels. Defining a specific root or starting point ends up in chasing one's one tail. It might be interesting, but it's exhausting and a waste of time as pet owerns might be able to confirm from own observation.
Since I use TheMentor as an example above: the content that is encoded into language is more important than the code itself. It appears to me that people rather bother with the code instead of the content, despite claiming the opposite.

anything