The World of Layonara  Forums

Author Topic: Fire bombs = Alchemists fire  (Read 196 times)

Harlas Ravelkione

Fire bombs = Alchemists fire
« on: April 29, 2005, 12:03:00 pm »
I tested a fire bomb on some goblins today, because a friend told me they don't work. The gobbas received 1 damage, so I guess something went amiss somewhere...

Harlas

Xandor Loriland

• Followers of Aeridin
    • View Profile
RE: Fire bombs = Alchemists fire
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 12:09:00 pm »
They work when skeletons  throw 'em.  I went into the crypts in Hlint yesterday anb one of the skeletons threw a fire bomb at me and did 30hp damage.

nabokov9

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 03:21:00 pm »
    ah yes...the incendiary skills of those skeletons are frightening to behold.    they catch you off guard sometimes and then - wow - does it hurt.    my characters have felt that a few times too.

hey, if people kept coming in and stealing your knuckle bones all the time, you'd be mad too.....

Varka

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 06:06:00 am »
    As Harlas says...

Yes it is wierd:

Fire bombs doesnt deal more dmg than a alchemists fire...even though you need 5 AF to make one fire bomb. ;)

Hey..does the same thing count for acid bombs too?

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 06:26:00 am »
    Didn't test the acid bombs. I know though that the fire bombs did considerably more damage before. I think the scripts were mixed up or something...

Harlas

Thunder Pants

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 06:49:00 am »
    unless something has changed i'm pretty sure firebombs still do plenty of damage, but as with alchimists fire full damage is only done if you hit the target with the granade like weapon

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 07:28:00 am »
    As stated earlier, I have tested my bombs on the goblins in the red light caverns, and it did 1 damage to every goblin, so...

Harlas

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 09:37:00 am »
    fire bombs seem to be working similarly to alchemists fire a large amount of damage to the primary target and only one to everything else... but they make it look all firey.

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
    OK? Mine couldn't even kill one silly lvl 1 goblin...

Harlas

orth

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
    Did you target a single golbin directly or only throw it at the ground? If the latter then it only does 1 damage to each.
    If you did in fact target a single goblin, did you make your ranged touch attack on the goblin? If not it only does splash damage of 1 point.

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 06:14:00 pm »
    Ahh...again I learned something new. I only targeted the group. Ok. I guess its working alright then.

Harlas

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 11:30:00 am »
    normal alchemists fire doesnt do the touch attack thing?  Is that the difference?

An acid flask does the same thing (except acid damage) as a fire bomb is doing now (minus the vfx.)

Its something like 3d6 to the primary target or 4d4 or something

Varka

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 02:45:00 am »
    Just some random thoughts:

Is the dmg for the fire and acid bombs not a bit weak? Or shouldn’t the level requirement to make them be decreased? Because:

- You need to be level 10 alchemists for making bombs who only is a threat to the main target - Which is actually easily taken down with a "normal weapon".
    - You need 5 acid flasks (+ another belly) to make one acid bomb....
    - You need 5 alchemist fire (+ something more) to make one firebomb.

Taken the time into consideration of making one bomb - in my opinion - it isn’t worth using them... I am using only alchemist fire and acids flasks...even though I could change them into bombs.

+ If they were given a small blast area maybe the price for the bomb would actually fit (5200 gold).
    + By giving the bombs a small blast - fighters could not rush into the fight being sure of only getting 1 dmg.

Regarding to the last comment - did it once: I went to the bugbears island and gave a mage some bombs to supply his artillery. Thereby I could be in close combat while he was going nuts with those bombs.

Dorganath

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 06:30:00 am »
    It was my understanding that the difference between the acid flask/alchemist fire and the acid bomb/fire bomb was both initial damage and lingering effect.

Both of the "bomb" varieties leave behind a "cloud" of sorts.  This cloud should cause additional damage each round (save and/or feats can negate) for as long as it remains.

An appropriate scale might be 3d6 to all within the AoE plus 1d6 each round thereafter while within the AoE for up to 3 or 4 rounds.

These bombs are hard to make.  It takes a skilled alchemist to even attempt one and a pretty darned good one to have better than a 50/50 chance of making them successfully.  Compared to the relative simplicity of the acid flasks and alchemist fires, it seems that the bombs should deal out more of a punch.

Harlas Ravelkione

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
    They leave behind a cloud, but the cloud does no damage. Not anymore at least.

Harlas

Talan Va'lash

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 10:17:00 am »
    Yeah, I seem to remember them doing pretty substantial AoE damage oh, like 4 months ago or something.  It was a while ago though.

Varka

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 02:37:00 am »
    Hhmm…this subject has had a lot of attention (235 views) but I don’t see any response (from GMs).

Is it a dead topic or…..?

Milo

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 03:32:00 am »
    Put it in the bug report section =)

steverimmer

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
    The cloud does damage to corpses I can tell you that much.  Tried a fire bomb on some cougars the other day, it killed the one I aimed at but didn't significantly damage the others. Then as Buppi was fighting the others it caused some damage a few times to the corpse of the first, enough in fact to destroy it.  As when I went back for it it was no longer there.

orth

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
    Varka - 5/11/2005  5:37 AM

Hhmm…this subject has had a lot of attention (235 views) but I don’t see any response (from GMs).

Is it a dead topic or…..?

I believe I responded.